Cultivated Reef

Don't really know what I'm testing for...

Brownbearhair

Brownbearhair

So I was wondering if you guys could help me look for when testing my parameters? I know the obvious ones from fresh like, nitrates and what not, But when it comes to everything else for the reef tanks I am kind of lost.

I m currently using the API reef test kit

well I have have used it..like twice because I don't know what I'm doing hahah

For me I usually test for KH stability. This I do every 3 days.

I test CA and MG every month once.

Others like PO4 and NO3 I test only I feel necessary.

Ammonia is only important while the cycle becomes established, after a death, or when you are adding livestock. Obviously, you don't want to be able to detect any ammonia. API's ammonia kit is fine for this. For saltwater, it isn't necessary to test for nitrite.

After the cycle, you need to test for nitrate. API's kit is fine to use. Perform a large enough water change so that nitrate is less than 10ppm. Adjust your water change volume/schedule so that nitrate remains detectable but less than 10ppm.

I generally don't bother with pH (because I don't recommend trying to buffer it into a specific value). However, after the cycle, a pH kit might be able to tell you if there is a CO2 problem.

Once you add livestock, it is important to test for (and track) phosphate. You need a low range test kit for this, so API's kit won't do. I suggest Salifert or a Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker. You want phosphate detectable but less than 0.03ppm (or 10ppb phosphorus).

Once you start adding stony corals (LPS and/or SPS), or get a significant amount of coralline algae, you need to test alkalinity and calcium. You can use your API kits for this, but I recommend switching to Salifert when they are used up, or before you start dosing alkalinity or calcium.

Magnesium testing isn't necessary until you start dosing alkalinity and/or calcium. I suggest using Salifert's magnesium test kit.

Here are the rough ranges you are aiming for:

Salinity: 1.026

Alk: 7-11 dKH

Ca: 380 - 450

Mg: 1200-1400

Po4: <0.2 ppm

Nitrate: <10 ppm

The main thing is stability. So if you are going for Alk at 9, try and keep it around 9, having alk swing around say from 7 to 9 and back down to 7 again will negatively effect corals.

You don't have many corals so you may be fine with just weekly water changes to keep levels up.

Archived