inTank Media Baskets

Need help with my flow/ph placement

Clown79

I have a 10g IM.

I have an upgraded pump mj900 and a koralia 420 in the tank.

I find that my middle birdsnest is just not getting adequate flow- the polyps aren't fully extended or moving alot. My other 2 frags are great.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to place the ph to get better flow to the mid/top area. I just can't get it right.

In the pics you can see the 2 birdsnest in the middle of the rock- the powerhead is to the left 4" below intake.

I have a spin stream on the return

post-91001-0-91350800-1471370372_thumb.jpg

post-91001-0-40649700-1471370382_thumb.jpg

I would think in such a small space that flow would reach everywhere in the tank regardless of where it's aimed. Have you tried a vertical orientation with the 420 aimed at the surface? Is an angle like that even possible? This is how my Tunze 6040s are mounted and it really does a great job creating a wide and well dispersed flow.

Nano sapiens

Hmmm, that should be plenty of flow with both devices. For example, I use just one small Tunze return pump (210gph) with a Hydor rotating nozzle in my 12g and it's fine for Birdsnests.

It's hard to tell in your pic, but are the rocks stacked up against the sides/back of the tank? If so, this will severely impede the flow rate in the tank since there would be no continuous gyre-type flow.

Another thing to check is if flow devices are set to operate at maximum (some allow adjustable flow rate settings).

This tank baffles me. The amount of flow in it should be causing tons of movement but yet doesn't...weird.

My island is in the middle, back is open with no obstruction and sides are open.

I moved up the ph and angled it more and it appears to have helped.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Archived