Cultivated Reef

nitrate free water?

rottingsoul492

cool. you should. I would advise to research RO/DI systems. That one you linked is inexpensive but I think the non-standard size filters might be an issue down the road.

Many many many threads out there on RO/DI systems

Tons of advocates of spectrapure rodi setups on here (with good reason) - I have the BRS setup and it works great. You're looking at more than $70 tho.

How large is your tank? (thinking how much water you'd use and how long the filters would last)

I have well water and would never use it. It's terrible. And I don't have an RO/DI unit. I just buy gallons of distilled water from Walmart, and it works out just fine for me.

rottingsoul492

cool. you should. I would advise to research RO/DI systems. That one you linked is inexpensive but I think the non-standard size filters might be an issue down the road.

Many many many threads out there on RO/DI systems

Tons of advocates of spectrapure rodi setups on here (with good reason) - I have the BRS setup and it works great. You're looking at more than $70 tho.

How large is your tank? (thinking how much water you'd use and how long the filters would last)

I have a 29 biocube
uisge-beatha

Basically, the RO part takes the source water from some high amount of total dissolved solids (TDS) down to a small amount of TDS. The DI part takes the water down to 0 TDS. With just an RO filter, you're still going to have some unknown "stuff" in your water, which could be "stuff" that's harmful to your tank. In fact, a lot of RO filters specifically say won't remove high levels of nitrates, so check the documentation for the unit you're looking at.

However, you don't yet know if your well water even has high nitrates. You really need to test the well water for nitrates first to see if that's the source of your problem. You also need to test your well water TDS to see how "bad" your water is or isn't, so borrow or buy a TDS meter - you'll need it to know when to change the filters on your RO or RODI unit anyway.

rottingsoul492

Kinda a change of subject but everybody knows by now my nitrates are high, i bought 3 polyp frags that looked really healthy in the store but when i took them home after acclimating them they never come back out and seem to die.is this some kind of result from a high level nitrate shock?

I should've read this before I asked. Well now I know look first before asking lol

Also doesn't well water have a lot of sulfer in it? I remember when I lived in Florida most the housing used well water and it smelled awful like rotting eggs.

Kinda a change of subject but everybody knows by now my nitrates are high, i bought 3 polyp frags that looked really healthy in the store but when i took them home after acclimating them they never come back out and seem to die.is this some kind of result from a high level nitrate shock?

High nitrates are toxic. Corals need some but too much is bad news. Some corals are more sensitive than others. It could be the cause of why they died.

Archived