SaltCritters.com

Hello Again. Need Help with Stocking.

Snow_Phoenix

Snow_Phoenix

Hi NR,

I know I've been away for several months, but a lot of things have happened since then and my life has stabilized from when I last stepped into this forum. I now have a proper job as an AI software chatbot writer, and thankfully it pays quite decently that I can afford to finance and keep a proper - albeit small - aquarium.

Of course, my parents weren't too keen on me going the salty route again, but I haven't felt this happy in the past few months until now - when I could start a brand new tank with proper equipment all over again.

What I do need help with is stocking.

My tank specs: 10G cube-ish tank with sump, skimmer, wavemaker, lighting, rock, sand, media and bacteria (more details when I start up a tank thread on it later).

Livestock in QT now:

Hi-Fin black banded goby + Candycane Pistol shrimp

Bicolor Blenny

Livestock to add:

(Pick one or two - but which one is the best?)

Purple Firefish

Scissortail Dartfish

Zebra Dartfish

Geometric Pygmy Perchlet

Neon Goby

Greenbanded Goby

Wheeler's Shrimp Goby

Clown Goby

Yasha Goby

Tangaroa Goby

Randall's Shrimp Goby

Pinkbar Goby

Sixline Wrasse

(No clownfish please).

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Snow

Purple firefish. I never see my fire fish because he always hides but beautiful fish for 20 bucks watchman gobies are cool but they are so small you never see them. In my 300g it's nearly impossible to see my YWG unless it's feeding time.

Snow_Phoenix

Possum wrasse.

Purple firefish. I never see my fire fish because he always hides but beautiful fish for 20 bucks watchman gobies are cool but they are so small you never see them. In my 300g it's nearly impossible to see my YWG unless it's feeding time.

But does the fish come out of the rocks at all? It would seem like such a shame to buy a fish, and never get a chance to see it. :(

I'm just a tad nervous about the blenny and like shaped tankmates.

Hi Seabass, do you mean that the fish might see each other as competition due to the same body type (elongated/pencil-like shape)? Or same size (as in if all of them were 1")? I was initially opting to go for a Purple Firefish as suggested by Sal and Gunslinger, but now I'm a bit worried.

My scape is quite open this time - the rockwork is a big central piece which is arch-shaped.

Snow_Phoenix

"These fishes are normally peaceful tank members, but have been known to pick at other blennies, smaller gobies and dartfish." http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+66&pcatid=66

Other blennies have this warning, "It is not usually aggressive unless the tank mates appear to have a similar shape as it does."

Noted with thanks, Seabass. I've kept a Bicolor once, and he didn't bother my other two gobies, but he did pick on a Two Spot blenny I had him with. So far I'm keeping the bicolor blenny and hi-fin + pistol in the same QT tank and they appear not to bother each other. They even slept in the same ceramic ornament that I used as a shelter for both fish. I'll observe him vigilantly over the next two weeks or so - if he acts up, I'll return him and get a more demure species of blenny.

Seabass is right. The bicolor and purple firefish have similar body shapes which could lead to territorial aggression from the blenny.

I've had both fish and I wouldn't mix them.

The blenny can be very aggressive- mine would attack my clown, hermits, and me.

The firefish is docile, peaceful...it wouldn't pull through daily aggression from the blenny.

Snow_Phoenix

Seabass is right. The bicolor and purple firefish have similar body shapes which could lead to territorial aggression from the blenny.

The firefish is docile, peaceful...it wouldn't pull through daily aggression from the blenny.

In that case, should the final fish be a possum/pygmy wrasse as Seabass has suggested then? The body shape/color is completely different, and it's an upper-column swimmer, so it shouldn't be an issue, right?

But does the fish come out of the rocks at all? It would seem like such a shame to buy a fish, and never get a chance to see it. :(

Hi Seabass, do you mean that the fish might see each other as competition due to the same body type (elongated/pencil-like shape)? Or same size (as in if all of them were 1")? I was initially opting to go for a Purple Firefish as suggested by Sal and Gunslinger, but now I'm a bit worried.

My scape is quite open this time - the rockwork is a big central piece which is arch-shaped.

it's because my tomini tang is a dick. He picks on my firefish and Bangaii Cardinal and I rarely ever see those because of that. He has 8 feet to swim and he picks on those fish ?
Snow_Phoenix

it's because my tomini tang is a dick. He picks on my firefish and Bangaii Cardinal and I rarely ever see those because of that. He has 8 feet to swim and he picks on those fish

Ack. My LFS has a Tomini but it's quite peaceful. I assumed that among all the tangs, those were one of the lesser aggressors. But now there's the issue that my blenny *might* go berserk on any dartfish.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for an open swimmer besides pygmy wrasses? No damsels or clownfish, if possible.

The problem is the 10 gallon display tank. Your choices will be very limited. Most people would even recommend a larger tank for your blenny. It's pushing it for a 10 gallon, but some would say that you could keep a pygmy angelfish (but I think it's too small). Tank size (territory) can make fish more aggressive than they would otherwise be in a larger tank with more hiding places. An ocellaris clown (even a designer version) is actually a good choice.

Here is a lenient list of fish, with tank size minimums: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/ otherwise, I tend to do fish research on Live Aquaria. However, I don't necessarily always agree with either of these sources.

The problem is the 10 gallon display tank. Your choices will be very limited. Most people would even recommend a larger tank for your blenny. It's pushing it for a 10 gallon, but some would say that you could keep a pygmy angelfish (but I think it's too small). Tank size (territory) can make fish more aggressive than they would otherwise be in a larger tank with more hiding places. An ocellaris clown (even a designer version) is actually a good choice.

Here is a lenient list of fish, with tank size minimums: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/ otherwise, I tend to do fish research on Live Aquaria. However, I don't necessarily always agree with either of these sources.

I agree with a lot of live aquaria but i have to say that their tang tank sizes are a little off.

Ack. My LFS has a Tomini but it's quite peaceful. I assumed that among all the tangs, those were one of the lesser aggressors. But now there's the issue that my blenny *might* go berserk on any dartfish.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for an open swimmer besides pygmy wrasses? No damsels or clownfish, if possible.

Clown goby? those things are so freaking cute. And Kole tangs are like that too. Just total tank bullies. That genus of tang is known to be a little on the agressive side.

Aw, you said no damsel. Was going to ask if you got talbot or springer damsles there.

You have a bottom dweller and a percher so was trying to think of something in the water column.

Cencalfishguy56

dont let firefish fool you, I had a purple one that had some aggression

i had a tail spot blenny and purple firefish with no problems, hit and miss

Pfft! My Helfrichi is the bully of the tank.

Snow_Phoenix

I usually refer to LA for choices/options, but their tank size recommendations can be off. And yes, I guess the 10G size is very restrictive, but I have to make do somehow. Most of the clowns coming in these days are riddled with Brook and Ich - that's why I wanted to avoid clowns altogether. But tank-bred designers are usually healthier, although they can fetch anywhere between RM 100 to RM 500 per piece depending on their markings. :scarry:

Thank you for the links though! :happy:

I agree with a lot of live aquaria but i have to say that their tang tank sizes are a little off.

Clown goby? those things are so freaking cute. And Kole tangs are like that too. Just total tank bullies. That genus of tang is known to be a little on the agressive side.

I love Clown gobies! I had one that survived for a year before I gave him away to a noob that killed him. :( But the problem with most YCGs is that they often arrive skinny and underfed, and they refuse to eat anything so they perish easily. I got lucky with my YCG last time.

Aw, you said no damsel. Was going to ask if you got talbot or springer damsles there.

You have a bottom dweller and a percher so was trying to think of something in the water column.

Springers are close to impossible to get unless I live in Penang, where an LFS imports them at a hefty price tag of close to RM 200 each. But I've seen Talbots for sale on occasion - will they get along well with the other two? Also, will they attack smaller inverts (nem crabs/nem shrimps)?

dont let firefish fool you, I had a purple one that had some aggression

i had a tail spot blenny and purple firefish with no problems, hit and miss

Pfft! My Helfrichi is the bully of the tank.

Noted. So I will still KIV the firefish - but I won't put it as my number one option in stocking. Thanks for the feedback, Cencal & Tmr.

I was poking around on bluezoo, and there was a mention about assessor basslets. Will a yellow or blue assessor be okay as well?

fishfreak0114

Talbots are fairly peaceful, I have one in QT. I think it would get along fine with your current fish and Ive never heard of them attacking shrimp or anything. Their colors are so nice!

Snow_Phoenix

Talbots are fairly peaceful, I have one in QT. I think it would get along fine with your current fish and Ive never heard of them attacking shrimp or anything. Their colors are so nice!

Alright, I'll add Talbot to my list of possibilities. Thank you for the recommendations!

So right now we have:

1. Pygmy/Possum wrasse

2. Talbot's Damsel

3. Yellow Clown Goby

4. Purple Firefish*

5. Yellow Assessor Basslet**

*Unsure if should be added due to blenny

**Need other people who've owned this fish/who knows more about them than I do, to chime in

I had a yellow assessor (I plan to get another actually). I had it in a 12g QT for awhile before it went into a 40g. I think it would be fine in a 10g as far as space goes (some would disagree), they just sort of hover and flit around from place to place. They like rockwork to hang upside down under.

One thing though is they are very peaceful and shy fish (well mine wasn't shy but they are supposed to be). I do not think it could tolerate any sort of bullying so the blenny would have to behave himself.

Snow_Phoenix

I had a yellow assessor (I plan to get another actually). I had it in a 12g QT for awhile before it went into a 40g. I think it would be fine in a 10g as far as space goes (some would disagree), they just sort of hover and flit around from place to place. They like rockwork to hang upside down under.

One thing though is they are very peaceful and shy fish (well mine wasn't shy but they are supposed to be). I do not think it could tolerate any sort of bullying so the blenny would have to behave himself.

Thank you for this. My rock is arched-shaped - I've been trying to stick a photo up on this thread since yesterday, but it wouldn't upload for some reason - so the fish can perch upside-down easily. So far the blenny is behaving in the QT - he still sticks close to the goby and the pistol, and sometimes sits on the filter sponge. They dynamics can change significantly if the fish is added in the tank though. He might stake out his territory and go nuts from there - there's no telling.

When I picked up this blenny, he was in a shallow 60G display full of gobies and one other blenny - a Lawnmower. The Lawn was bigger but they weren't chasing each other in the tank. They weren't in each other's way too. There was a Fang blenny too, but it kept to the upper column and didn't swim down at all.

GunslingerGirl

I vote firefish (as you already know) but also say you should just go to the LFS with a list... see which fish looks best (color, personality, health-wise) and fits the budget.

That's how I roll. Research. Can't decide. Let somebody else do it for me (LFS) lol

Snow_Phoenix

ab9b77e3bd7445b4b2cf0abad665dfe2.png

Okay - here's how the rock looks like.

I vote firefish (as you already know) but also say you should just go to the LFS with a list... see which fish looks best (color, personality, health-wise) and fits the budget.

That's how I roll. Research. Can't decide. Let somebody else do it for me (LFS) lol

Lol, if I let a LFS decide for me, they'd shove my bags with 'Nemos' and 'Dorys' and be done with it. :lol:

I'll go with a list, but I'll see what they have available. After all, I'm in no rush to stock this tank. B)

Archived