ReefCleaners.org

The Salt Life: Which salt do you use? The more responses, the better!

xAyanex

Snow_Phoenix

I use regular IO. I ask my LFS to prepack the salt into individual packages of 2kg to prevent the salt from clumping and becoming hard (this happens when you keep the salt bucket open and exposed to warm/hot air for prolonged periods - and the average temp in my country is between 35'C to 40'C everyday).

IO always leave behind a layer of residue no matter how well you mix it, based on my experience. Eventually after a day or two it dissolves fully, but sometimes it makes my tank look like a friggin' winter wonderland for several hours after I've stirred up and added a fresh batch of SW.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was using RSP for 2 years. Everytime when I change water weekly I get KH spike. Most SPS not doing well.

Then this year AF arrive at our shore(Singapore) A promotion was on so decide to give it a try after reading all the

beautiful tanks from Poland. Since the price different not much

After first water change SPS start to have polyp extension. First time see Polyp extension throughout the day

3 days after first water change I see one of the SPS start showing blue.

This is the first time I see blue SPS in my tank.

Its 8 months now and many start to encrusted and growth.

AF is different. I highly recomended you try if all other salt failed you

Red Sea Coral Pro- not sure why exactly - lol I like the picture on the bucket. Perimeters are good, esp now that I started dosing. Mixes fast as stated before .

Very little residue . I mix in a 30 gal brute and after a few months there might be some brown stuff in the middle where sediment collects (2 powerheads create swirling)

jedimasterben

The residue left behind by Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals is just some organic material, won't hurt anything, just makes the mixing bucket look like crap after a while :)

I use Red Sea salt. When compared to Instant Ocean, it really isn't THAT much more expensive considering that using the same volume of salt IO will only mix to 28ppt and Red Sea mixes to 35, so you get only about 83% of what the bucket claims, so 160 gallon bucket actually only nets 133 gallons, whereas Red Sea gives the full 175 gallons in the same size bucket.

I have used IO and Io reef crystals.

Io- didn't mix to the right params, I found it constantly low and took 24hrs to clear.

Reef Crystals- inconsistent params with each mix. Low MAg- really low. 1170. Mixes well but does leave a residue on the bucket. I wipe my bucket down after its empty and there is a yellowy brown film every time. It almost looks like diatoms but isn't.

Its from the binding agent in the salt mix and RC is notorious for it.

My plan is to change salts.

The residue left behind by Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals is just some organic material, won't hurt anything, just makes the mixing bucket look like crap after a while :)

I use Red Sea salt. When compared to Instant Ocean, it really isn't THAT much more expensive considering that using the same volume of salt IO will only mix to 28ppt and Red Sea mixes to 35, so you get only about 83% of what the bucket claims, so 160 gallon bucket actually only nets 133 gallons, whereas Red Sea gives the full 175 gallons in the same size bucket.

I've been debating about switching to Red Sea Coral Pro, but everything I have read says the bucket claims numbers are based off 31ppt. Not sure how accurate Dr Foster and Smith is, but they show 35ppt is1.6lb/5 gal for RSCP salt, that turns into 151.5 gallons from a 175 gallon bucket. 33 ppt would be 161.6 gallons @ 1.5lbs/5 gallons. They use the same numbers for the regular Red Sea salt.

If I would actually get 175 gallons out of Red Sea I would probably switch. I get RC 200 gallon box for $42 and the Red Sea is about $67. If a 200 gallon RC box does about 166 gallons at 35 and RS does 151.5 for $25 more, this is why I haven't switched yet. One tank would be no big deal, but when my new build is done I will be up to 4 tanks.

If you're saying you get the full 175 at 35ppt, then maybe I should try a bucket on the new Red Sea Reefer XL425 build and see how it goes.

jedimasterben

I've been debating about switching to Red Sea Coral Pro, but everything I have read says the bucket claims numbers are based off 31ppt. Not sure how accurate Dr Foster and Smith is, but they show 35ppt is1.6lb/5 gal for RSCP salt, that turns into 151.5 gallons from a 175 gallon bucket. 33 ppt would be 161.6 gallons @ 1.5lbs/5 gallons. They use the same numbers for the regular Red Sea salt.

If I would actually get 175 gallons out of Red Sea I would probably switch. I get RC 200 gallon box for $42 and the Red Sea is about $67. If a 200 gallon RC box does about 166 gallons at 35 and RS does 151.5 for $25 more, this is why I haven't switched yet. One tank would be no big deal, but when my new build is done I will be up to 4 tanks.

If you're saying you get the full 175 at 35ppt, then maybe I should try a bucket on the new Red Sea Reefer XL425 build and see how it goes.

I use regular Red Sea and I know I got almost six 30 gallon water changes out of my last bucket, definitely more than five (which would be 150ish gallons).

Four tanks is a little excessive. :D

In my limited experience with salts, I have found that almost all of them will leave a residue behind. It simply depends on how long you mix it, how long you keep it in the bucket and how hot or cold the temperature is when it is mixed.

To be noted is that mixing clear within an hour is not an indication of a good salt. In fact most manufacturers will tell you to mix for 24 hours to give a chance for pH to stabilize.

I started with Oceanic salt. I can't really remember anything negative or positive about it.

Moved on to Red Sea Coral Pro. Very heavy precipitation and the equipment would get a coating that was hard to remove. I also found that the high levels that the salt has for calcium and alk caused swings in my tank.

Moved on to ESV (probably the least precipitate salt I have used - if any)- stable parameters

Moved on to Reef Crystals - low precipitation, clean salt. Mixed low in parameters.

Moved on to Neomarine - Have been using it now 3+ years - little bit of precipitation occurs if kept longer than 24 hours. Mixes to NSW levels for me.

Tried aquacraft for about 10 G of water change recently - had other issues but also has precipitation if left longer than 24 hours.

Cencalfishguy56

Started with IO and was pretty happy but did take forever to mix and alk was inconsistent for the reef crystals anyways, moved to RSCP and had success but didn't want the elevated levels so moved to AF probiotic salt but will probably just pick up the reef salt and couldn't be happier, all corals have responded very well

Currently using red sea coral pro or whatever its called, only thing amazon ca had in stock at the time, and as they are the only place who ships salt free, I buy whatever they happen to have in stock at the time I need salt.

Mixes clearer and quicker than either of the instant ocean salts did,

Gotta love amazon for the free shipping! Red Sea Coral Pro sounds like a great choice to me.

Red Sea Coral Pro is the only salt I've used since I started reefing 2 1/2 years ago and I love it. Very consistent bucket to bucket.

5.9 oz per gallon (using postal scale) produces a very consistent 1.025 spgr every time.

Awesome to hear! That's very accurate-I just measure with cups and usually end up adjusting it later on. Might look into a postal scale... Very great idea.

I just use coral life marine salt because it's cheap and works fine. Sometimes I grab s bag of Red Sea coral pro when a local guy gets some for 50 a bag (200gal)

Never heard of that one, but it sounds like it's worth checking out. A lot of people seem to use Red Sea Coral Pro and like it. Only heard a couple complaints so far! :D

I use regular IO. I ask my LFS to prepack the salt into individual packages of 2kg to prevent the salt from clumping and becoming hard (this happens when you keep the salt bucket open and exposed to warm/hot air for prolonged periods - and the average temp in my country is between 35'C to 40'C everyday).

IO always leave behind a layer of residue no matter how well you mix it, based on my experience. Eventually after a day or two it dissolves fully, but sometimes it makes my tank look like a friggin' winter wonderland for several hours after I've stirred up and added a fresh batch of SW.

Smart! And yes on the wonderland thing! That is what I'm trying to avoid. It is making my QT tank look so junky.

I was using RSP for 2 years. Everytime when I change water weekly I get KH spike. Most SPS not doing well.

Then this year AF arrive at our shore(Singapore) A promotion was on so decide to give it a try after reading all the

beautiful tanks from Poland. Since the price different not much

After first water change SPS start to have polyp extension. First time see Polyp extension throughout the day

3 days after first water change I see one of the SPS start showing blue.

This is the first time I see blue SPS in my tank.

Its 8 months now and many start to encrusted and growth.

AF is different. I highly recomended you try if all other salt failed you

I think you're the second person to mention the KH spike, and I'm definitely going to look into Aquaforest!

I actually use aqua medic reef salt. cheap and actually works really well. mixes fast. parameters are good also.

I will look into that, I've never heard of it! I will have to make a word document tomorrow and document all these experiences.

I use the regular Red Sea Salt, which seems to do the job. All the corals look happy, so I can't complain.

Is that the blue bucket?

Red Sea Coral Pro- not sure why exactly - lol I like the picture on the bucket. Perimeters are good, esp now that I started dosing. Mixes fast as stated before .

Very little residue . I mix in a 30 gal brute and after a few months there might be some brown stuff in the middle where sediment collects (2 powerheads create swirling)

Never heard anyone mention residue with RSCP-very good to know! I only use one powerheard but I'm mixing in a 5 gallon bucket so it's a much smaller deal.

Oh! I thought maybe it would be harmful to the fish if the fish ate it. But I think she's eaten quite a bit and she's still fine! So you must be right. By Red Sea, do you mean the blue bucket? I don't mind a price difference regardless-just wanted to go with a good beginner's price option at the beginning of the hobby. Okay, this is still the beginning, but you know what I meant. Also I am so honored so many seasoned reefers chimed in!

I have used IO and Io reef crystals.

Io- didn't mix to the right params, I found it constantly low and took 24hrs to clear.

Reef Crystals- inconsistent params with each mix. Low MAg- really low. 1170. Mixes well but does leave a residue on the bucket. I wipe my bucket down after its empty and there is a yellowy brown film every time. It almost looks like diatoms but isn't.

Its from the binding agent in the salt mix and RC is notorious for it.

My plan is to change salts.

Again-just honored and overwhelmed by these responses! I hope this is helping all the other new reefers too! What do you plan to change to, if you don't mind me asking?

In my limited experience with salts, I have found that almost all of them will leave a residue behind. It simply depends on how long you mix it, how long you keep it in the bucket and how hot or cold the temperature is when it is mixed.

To be noted is that mixing clear within an hour is not an indication of a good salt. In fact most manufacturers will tell you to mix for 24 hours to give a chance for pH to stabilize.

I started with Oceanic salt. I can't really remember anything negative or positive about it.

Moved on to Red Sea Coral Pro. Very heavy precipitation and the equipment would get a coating that was hard to remove. I also found that the high levels that the salt has for calcium and alk caused swings in my tank.

Moved on to ESV (probably the least precipitate salt I have used - if any)- stable parameters

Moved on to Reef Crystals - low precipitation, clean salt. Mixed low in parameters.

Moved on to Neomarine - Have been using it now 3+ years - little bit of precipitation occurs if kept longer than 24 hours. Mixes to NSW levels for me.

Tried aquacraft for about 10 G of water change recently - had other issues but also has precipitation if left longer than 24 hours.

Wow, Kat! You were just Tank of the Month not too long ago! Oh my gosh, you must do something right because your tank is beautiful! I don't mind how long I have to mix it, I just want to do it the right way. You're the second to mention RSCP leaving precipitate! What is ESV? I have never head of Neomarine, but I will definitely look into it!!

well if kats using neomarine, i may have to look into that. :D

Right!?!

Started with IO and was pretty happy but did take forever to mix and alk was inconsistent for the reef crystals anyways, moved to RSCP and had success but didn't want the elevated levels so moved to AF probiotic salt but will probably just pick up the reef salt and couldn't be happier, all corals have responded very well

Awesome to know, thank you so much for the input!

I definitely picked the BEST community of people to help me in my journey to becoming a successful reefer! Thank you so much to all who responded. This will be helpful for other new people (and maybe even seasoned reefers)! You can never have too much research/information when you're a reefer, :P

mystersyster

I've noticed that I get 425 ppm calcium compared to the claimed 410. Alkalinity is right on the dot at 7.7. Not sure if anyone really cares, but I've had like 6 margaritas so I thought I'd share :lol:

Edit: When mixed at 35/1.026

I've noticed that I get 425 ppm calcium compared to the claimed 410. Alkalinity is right on the dot at 7.7. Not sure if anyone really cares, but I've had like 6 margaritas so I thought I'd share :lol:

Edit: When mixed at 35/1.026

With Red Sea blue bucket, you mean? And glad you're having a good time! :happy:

Yep, the regular Red Sea is the blue bucket.

Thank you! May seem like a silly question, but we all started somewhere. Teehee... :wacko:

mystersyster

Yeah blue bucket. I normally consider "red sea salt" the blue bucket when people refer to it. Otherwise people will more likely say coral pro salt.

Thank you sir. I work for the railroad so my "weekend" started this morning at 9am. =]

Yeah blue bucket. I normally consider "red sea salt" the blue bucket when people refer to it. Otherwise people will more likely say coral pro salt.

Thank you sir. I work for the railroad so my "weekend" started this morning at 9am. =]

I don't know why everyone keeps assuming I'm a guy. I'm a fantastic young woman. :)

That's so awesome! What do you do? Like, drive the train? I work in a hospital, so I never really get a weekend.

Edit: Might be because my profile picture is a male human holding my puppy dog...

mystersyster

I don't know why everyone keeps assuming I'm a guy. I'm a fantastic young woman. :)

That's so awesome! What do you do? Like, drive the train? I work in a hospital, so I never really get a weekend.

Edit: Might be because my profile picture is a male human holding my puppy dog...

Well fantastic young women, good to know you ;)

As far as what I do, I drive the train, build trains, and supervise the movements of trains. I'm pretty much in the shipping business.

I planned on going to school to be an RN, which I learned would leave me with little "normal" free time. Instead I opted to be a military police officer, which pretty much gave me the same schedule :lol: . What do you do?

Again-just honored and overwhelmed by these responses! I hope this is helping all the other new reefers too! What do you plan to change to, if you don't mind me asking?

Wow, Kat! You were just Tank of the Month not too long ago! Oh my gosh, you must do something right because your tank is beautiful! I don't mind how long I have to mix it, I just want to do it the right way. You're the second to mention RSCP leaving precipitate! What is ESV? I have never head of Neomarine, but I will definitely look into it!!

Right!?!

:blush:

Brightwell Neomarine

Not sure if anyone really cares, but I've had like 6 margaritas so I thought I'd share :lol:

You rim your margaritas's with Red Sea blue bucket? Not a bad idea - get those trace elements ... Really wouldn't the salt we use be like the best sea salt ever? Haven't noticed threads about putting it on food

Archived