Top Shelf Aquatics

plz explain nitrates and nitrites

rottingsoul492

rottingsoul492

Im having problems with nitrates in my 29 biocube but my nitrites are perfect.van someone please explain what the difference between the two and how they are produced

JavaJacketOC

Ammonia converts to Nitrites which then convert to Nitrates. Nitrates are only removed through water changes or something to export it like Cheato.

rottingsoul492

Ammonia converts to Nitrites which then convert to Nitrates. Nitrates are only removed through water changes or something to export it like Cheato.

So if nitrites turn into nitrates then how are my nitrites very good but my nitrates are really high? Does it convert very fast from ammonia to nitrites then to nitrates
JavaJacketOC

So if nitrites turn into nitrates then how are my nitrites very good but my nitrates are really high? Does it convert very fast from ammonia to nitrites then to nitrates

Yes, they convert quickly if your biological filtration is sufficient for your bio load.

You can google Nitrogen Cycle or Saltwater Tank Nitrogen Cycle to read up.

Ammonia turns into nitrites making ammonia essentially 0. Nitrite then turns into nitrates making nitrite 0. Nitrates are removed by water changes or can be turned into gas. You should be having a reading of 0-20+ppm. Having nitrates under 10ppm with water changes is what you want.

rottingsoul492

What do you define as a problem with nitrates if you don't mind me asking?

My corals arnt growing but they arnt dying either. My nitrates are high in the 40s and someone told me thats why my corals wont grow so im ditching the bioballs and getting a media basket
GunslingerGirl

My corals arnt growing but they arnt dying either. My nitrates are high in the 40s and someone told me thats why my corals wont grow so im ditching the bioballs and getting a media basket

That would do it yea. As already stated under 10 is good. If you want to strive for under 5 you get a gold star. (I'm lazy and aim for 10 but I dont have any corals left... And I like feeding my algae.)

rottingsoul492

That would do it yea. As already stated under 10 is good. If you want to strive for under 5 you get a gold star. (I'm lazy and aim for 10 but I dont have any corals left... And I like feeding my algae.)

So my question now is what do i do in my 2nd chamber after i put my media basket in? im thinking either putting in a skimmer next to the basket , growing chaeto in a fuge basket or just using the media basket and leaving the space empty
GunslingerGirl

I'm not the best to ask on that one. I have always done the minimalist natural approach. So I too am trying to navigate the whole put what where? thing.

I ran a bc29 for three years with chaeto in inTank fuge basket and a diy fuge light. I got lots of store credit from all the chaeto I took in as it grew like crazy for me and had to split it almost once a month. It was good for pods back there too. It really kept nitrates manageable for me anyway.

So my question now is what do i do in my 2nd chamber after i put my media basket in im thinking either putting in a skimmer next to the basket , growing chaeto in a fuge basket or just using the media basket and leaving the space empty

rottingsoul492

Ive heard From several sources that a skimmer or chaeto are not necessary for a small nano tank like a 29 gallon. They say the water changes alone will keep the nitrates under control in such a small tank

Ive heard From several sources that a skimmer or chaeto are not necessary for a small nano tank like a 29 gallon. They say the water changes alone will keep the nitrates under control in such a small tank

Water changes can keep it under control but you are using tap water which adds another complication. RODI water is recommended.

What fish do you have in there? Stocking matters too.

rottingsoul492

Water changes can keep it under control but you are using tap water which adds another complication. RODI water is recommended.

i only have a clownfish and a damsel.

And whats the deal with RODI water? Is it just basically one of the fancy food grade canister filters?

Then something else is wrong and I doubt a skimmer/cheato is the answer. Nitrates should not be 40ppm with 2 fish in 29g!

Either your tap water is the cause, overfeeding, maintenance is an issue, or those bioballs if they are not kept clean. Sandbed needs to be siphoned with water changes, rocks need to be turkey basted, filters regularly changed, debris in back chambers changed, ect. Should be done weekly.

If you plan to keep using your well water, you need to test it for nitrate and phosphate at the very least so we can rule that out. Here is a good read on it: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/chemistry

rottingsoul492

Then something else is wrong and I doubt a skimmer/cheato is the answer. Nitrates should not be 40ppm with 2 fish in 29g!

Either your tap water is the cause, overfeeding, maintenance is an issue, or those bioballs if they are not kept clean. Sandbed needs to be siphoned with water changes, rocks need to be turkey basted, filters regularly changed, debris in back chambers changed, ect. Should be done weekly.

If you plan to keep using your well water, you need to test it for nitrate and phosphate at the very least so we can rule that out. Here is a good read on it: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/chemistry

i really havnt ever cleaned my bioballs.i was told not to clean them due to them having the good bacteria but im about to ditch them.i always do water changes on time and clean the tank well but i havnt cleaned the back chambers ? i guess ive found my problem

i really havnt ever cleaned my bioballs.i was told not to clean them due to them having the good bacteria but im about to ditch them.i always do water changes on time and clean the tank well but i havnt cleaned the back chambers i guess ive found my problem

Do yourself a favor and test that tap water anyways. Don't remove all the bioballs at once, do it slowly.

rottingsoul492

Do yourself a favor and test that tap water anyways. Don't remove all the bioballs at once, do it slowly.

yes i took a hand full out today. How big of a water change should i do weekly on a 29 gallon ?

yes i took a hand full out today. How big of a water change should i do weekly on a 29 gallon ?

when you say bio balls, do you mean the blue or white plastic balls about an inch diameter with the plastic prongs sticking out of them? Or do you mean bio pellets? If you are using bio pellets you need to have a skimmer running or you will have nitrate issues. If you mean bio balls like I first described, those are known for being nitrate factories creating excess nitrates. You have live rock in the tank?

And whats the deal with RODI water? Is it just basically one of the fancy food grade canister filters?

RODI is water in which most of the disolved solids have been removed resulting in 0 TDS water. TDS = total dissolved solids. You can google what reverse ionization and DI filters do. The point is it removes any of the unknown baddies in the tap water that might adversely effect corals. You just don't know what is in tap water and while it may be safe to drink the actual contents can change throughout the year as different chemicals are used to make it drinking safe.

What test kit are you using to test Nitrates?

rottingsoul492

when you say bio balls, do you mean the blue or white plastic balls about an inch diameter with the plastic prongs sticking out of them? Or do you mean bio pellets? If you are using bio pellets you need to have a skimmer running or you will have nitrate issues. If you mean bio balls like I first described, those are known for being nitrate factories creating excess nitrates. You have live rock in the tank?

yea i mean the actual plastic balls and yea i have about 30 pounds of live rock

RODI is water in which most of the disolved solids have been removed resulting in 0 TDS water. TDS = total dissolved solids. You can google what reverse ionization and DI filters do. The point is it removes any of the unknown baddies in the tap water that might adversely effect corals. You just don't know what is in tap water and while it may be safe to drink the actual contents can change throughout the year as different chemicals are used to make it drinking safe.

What test kit are you using to test Nitrates?

i use the API test strips that come from petco.probably not the most accurate

Api test strips sucks. Get something better asap. Remove the bio balls a little each day for a week or two till there's none. Put some purigen or algone in a media rack. Ur live rock has more than enough bacteria for your tank. See where you stand than with a real test kit. And use ro/di water or distilled water at least. Do you clean ur sandbed? How big of water changes do you do and how often? once that's all done than we can talk about how to lower nitrates if they are still an issue.

Archived