Top Shelf Aquatics

Quick ATO question

Strike2tamu

Hello all, I am new to this forum and fairly new to saltwater aquariums. I have a 5 gallon Fluval Evo set up currently and I have a smart ATO micro that pumps out of a 5 gallon jug, the jug is sealed except for the little space where the tubing and power wire run out of a cut out in the twist on lid. Is this an issue with evaporation, should I seal this with some sort of sealant and do I need to keep a powerhead in the jug to keep the water moving?

I am new as well. I have a 7 gallon container. I use the tunze ATO. I have done a lot of reading in regards to this issue. I can tell you that I have decided not to seal mine and I do not have a powerhead in it either. The reason being, it just doesn't last long enough for me to worry. I will say that I have been doing weekly water changes in addition to using it as a top off. I think the people that use power heads and sealed containers use them for longer term storage from what I read. With that being said, if you happen to have an extra power head laying about than I'm sure it can't hurt. However I have herd from plenty of folks who take no precautions and have very good success. Good luck.

Got to love the Smart ATO. $99 and works like a charm haha. yeah i made a lid out of cardboard just to keep dust from falling inside or other things. I dont have a pump in there either or worry about evaporation.

IMG_3304_zpsq1xvcnxu.jpg

20160727_215033_zpsekjpwuto.jpg

Archived