Coral Vue Hydros

Australia's Spiciest 34 Litre Nano: DIY frag rank (bottom of pg 6)

pappadumplingz

pappadumplingz

UPDATE:

After a holiday and school starting, I will bless you all with an update

A week ago I got a nice chalice (in the centre of the rockwork) as a late bday present.Bought a piece of live rock and a yellow clown goby yesterday and redid the scape today (finally got to use my coral apoxy). I must say that the tank looks a lot nicer. Moved the clownfish into a 200L aquarium I'm helping with at school. Also gonna move the trochus snail into the tank and search for a more 'nano" algae eating animal (any suggestions).

Photos (all the fish are hiding after the water change):

qX8SQI8.jpg

EOXhtAf.jpg

qZBP5Ps.jpg

• Like 5
fishfreak0114

I like the new scape! :) perhaps nerites for smaller snails? I've never had saltwater ones, but my freshwater ones eat a crazy amount of algae. I have 4 in a 5 gallon, and I haven't cleaned the glass since I got them

• Like 1

Nice job on the scape, loots great. From experience, Trochus snails have been the workhorse for me, doing most of their work at night. Turbo snails are a good all rounder and fairly cheap, nassarius are great for cleaning the sand and are cool to watch, ceriths I found useless, black shelled nerite snails do a decent job but fall on their back a lot making them easy prey, they can't really right themselves.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Quick update: Found the clown goby dead on the sand bed this morning. Don't know why it died, but it was under the platygyra with the firefish last night, could have been a potential aggression issue. There was no damage to the body though.

Quick update: Found the clown goby dead on the sand bed this morning. Don't know why it died, but it was under the platygyra with the firefish last night, could have been a potential aggression issue. There was no damage to the body though.

Sorry for your loss dude :(. If there was no damage to the body I would put it down to an internal parasite or something similar. Was it eating well?

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I like the new scape! :) perhaps nerites for smaller snails? I've never had saltwater ones, but my freshwater ones eat a crazy amount of algae. I have 4 in a 5 gallon, and I haven't cleaned the glass since I got them

I'll take a look at them, see if they sell them here

Nice job on the scape, loots great. From experience, Trochus snails have been the workhorse for me, doing most of their work at night. Turbo snails are a good all rounder and fairly cheap, nassarius are great for cleaning the sand and are cool to watch, ceriths I found useless, black shelled nerite snails do a decent job but fall on their back a lot making them easy prey, they can't really right themselves.

Have had p nassarius snails before and they got stuck in my circulation pump. Trochus are good, but the one I had kept knocking over stuff. I was thinking about a nano blenny, but they are really expensive here.

Sorry for your loss dude :(. If there was no damage to the body I would put it down to an internal parasite or something similar. Was it eating well?

I saw it pecking at the mysis I sprayed on it. It is quite strange.

pappadumplingz

So the firefish is out and some of his fins have been clipped a bit. May have been a shrimp or crab all along. He also seems to be acting a bit more skittish. Could be because of the scape change but I'm not sure. Will set up a crab trap soon.

And anyone got any fish suggestions? Was thinking about a nice pair of clowns, but I kinda want to go off onto the beaten track. Anyone got any hardy but different fish suggestions?

So the firefish is out and some of his fins have been clipped a bit. May have been a shrimp or crab all along. He also seems to be acting a bit more skittish. Could be because of the scape change but I'm not sure. Will set up a crab trap soon.

And anyone got any fish suggestions? Was thinking about a nice pair of clowns, but I kinda want to go off onto the beaten track. Anyone got any hardy but different fish suggestions?

If you can find yourself a mandarin that is eating frozen they are am beautiful fish, interesting to watch. After a friend saw mine he has been trying to hunt down one for his tank, you both have very similar sized tanks. Another option would be a blenny, my bicolor has such a great personality but a starry or midas would be cool also. You could always look at file fish as well, very cool.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

If you can find yourself a mandarin that is eating frozen they are am beautiful fish, interesting to watch. After a friend saw mine he has been trying to hunt down one for his tank, you both have very similar sized tanks. Another option would be a blenny, my bicolor has such a great personality but a starry or midas would be cool also. You could always look at file fish as well, very cool.

Would get a mandarin or a blenny, but are they suitable for a 34 Litre tank?

• Like 1

Would get a mandarin or a blenny, but are they suitable for a 34 Litre tank?

A lot of the blennys have a recommended tank size of 10G or more and the mandarin will be fine with pods to graze on but it must also be eating frozen foods or pellets. Check out live aquaria if you aren't sure, it is a good gauge a lot of the time.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

A lot of the blennys have a recommended tank size of 10G or more and the mandarin will be fine with pods to graze on but it must also be eating frozen foods or pellets. Check out live aquaria if you aren't sure, it is a good gauge a lot of the time.

It said that the bi colour and the dragonets are 30 gallons. I think 10 gallons is pushing it for them, but I would sure as hell love to own one. My tank has a decent population of Copepods and amphipods though, so it should be able to sustain a dragonet for a while.

• Like 2
pappadumplingz

So the new scape is working well, and I have epoxy'd down some corals. I definitely think that my clownfish at school has an internal parasite. Ever since I kept him in a breeder box for that extended period of time, he has just lost so much weight. My firefish also has mild discolouration and has minor on and off swim bladder dysfunction, so it might have an internal parasite. Since I'd rather medicate using a pellet food, what ones would you guys recommend? Also, my mushroom has decided to frag itself of its little rock, so I will have to deal with that soon.

Here are some photos:

hEge3H6.jpg

VjJL1Vi.jpg

Wdu2ISQ.jpg

• Like 6
fishfreak0114

Ooh pretty, glad to see you got the epoxy to work. I've never had much luck using it without glue. As for medicated food, I don't know of any myself. I've never tried treating in the DT before.

New Life Spectrum Thera A is just their standard pellet with garlic for an immunity boost. Seachem Garlic Guard is pretty good also, I use it in liquid form a few times a week when I feed frozen foods. I just add it to the cup and let the food thaw for 10mins in some tank water before dumping it all in the tank.

pappadumplingz

New Life Spectrum Thera A is just their standard pellet with garlic for an immunity boost. Seachem Garlic Guard is pretty good also, I use it in liquid form a few times a week when I feed frozen foods. I just add it to the cup and let the food thaw for 10mins in some tank water before dumping it all in the tank.

Sounds like a plan. Will either do that or get some Hex Shield. The swim bladder is an off and on thing, but last time I saw him poop, it was a bit stringy, so I'll feed them the pellet food and give him some boiled peas.

• Like 2

Just caught up with your thread - the tank looks very nice! How are the fish doing now?

Btw, a tailspot blenny would probably do great in a tank your size. I kept one in my 10g and he seemed very happy. Although he did finally die for no apparent reason. But they're small, they're pretty, and they have a lot of personality.

• Like 2
pappadumplingz

Just caught up with your thread - the tank looks very nice! How are the fish doing now?

Btw, a tailspot blenny would probably do great in a tank your size. I kept one in my 10g and he seemed very happy. Although he did finally die for no apparent reason. But they're small, they're pretty, and they have a lot of personality.

The clown, which is at school is doing okay, but I need to pick up the food for it. The firefish still has the on and off swim bladder issue, but it's still doing good overall. I was looking into a tailspot but they are over $50 aud. I am thinking about a bi colour, and since I'm planning on upgrading soon, I'll move it over to my next tank.

• Like 2
pappadumplingz

UPDATE: So the new scape is settling in, but due to exams next week I hadn't been able to do any water changes, so I did my first 50% water change yesterday. Also there is a massive crab exo skeleton under a rock, which explains why my firefish is getting nipped fins every now and again. I brought it up before and made a trap but it didn't go in, so I just left it, but this fresh skeleton is like 3 times the size of the last one I saw, so I'm gonna make one tonight.

I also realized a few days ago that one of my trachy's was being stung by my chalice, so the trachy has some missing flesh. It has happened before so I'm sure it will grow back.

Pics:

vXhoGna.jpg

Fuge shot for Teeny

Zn4xiOa.jpg

LtFxXkn.jpg

• Like 4
pappadumplingz

Do you plan to get anymore fish aside from a blenny? Or will you wait until you upgrade?

Might get a clown goby from my mate but I will probably leave it at 2 fish. I forgot to mention this in the update, but I might upgrade to the kessil a80 light. Looks pretty good for the cost.

• Like 2

An AI Prime HD would be a pretty good buy for a tank that size, even the original non HD version would be good and could be found cheaply. I love the look of Kessils, the shimmer is amazing but they really do lack control options unless you shell out for the controller that isn't that great anyway. I'd probably look at a second hand A160 over the A80 anyway, gives you greater flexibility to get a second one when you upgrade if you need it.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

An AI Prime HD would be a pretty good buy for a tank that size, even the original non HD version would be good and could be found cheaply. I love the look of Kessils, the shimmer is amazing but they really do lack control options unless you shell out for the controller that isn't that great anyway. I'd probably look at a second hand A160 over the A80 anyway, gives you greater flexibility to get a second one when you upgrade if you need it.

I was thinking of using a mars aqua led for the new tank I'm planning, which looks really good for the cost. The only reason I want a new light atm is because my current light's mounting system has broken off, so I can't have it over the tank without a glass lid, which means I can't cool it in the summer with a fan.

• Like 1