Coral Vue Hydros

Coral killing fish.

Blr26995

Hello all it's a sad day. I have lost two of my four fish. And obviously one of the two was my favorite fish. My yellow head jaw fish. This happened with in 4 days of adding new coral. One of those coral I read up on being called Texas trash coral. Upon reading I saw it can let of toxins when messed with? Lost my clown and my jaw fish. My two fire fish are doing ok so far. Anyone experience this? Should I remove it now? I don't know if it only does it when messed with or just when ever it feels like it?

I happened to be out of town when they passed but my husband found our Duncan making a meal out of our clown fish. He must have died then floated into the Duncan. He thought the Duncan grabbed him but I didn't think the Duncan would eat a healthy living fish as I heard clowns can host them. That's definitely an interesting picture to get... Anyway I'll post a picture of the coral because other people may call it different things. Thanks for looking.

20160814_173655_zps7hiwqxef.jpg

I know someone with a 75g infested with those, no issues with fish though. They are pretty potent though and could kill other corals/fish if they were dying/under stress. If you tried to frag them in the tank or nuke some with kalk, ect. It would certainly be bad news.

I would add some carbon.

On that note, I would never keep these because they grow so fast and would need to be fragged often. Since they are quiet toxic I don't feel this particular morph is worth the risk. This is just my personal opinion.

GunslingerGirl

I had some of these in my original reef tank... Started spewing toxins and killed any corals near them. Promptly took them back to the LFS who apologized and realized they had been mislabeled. Into the trash they went and I got a gift card to replace what had died.

I miss that LFS.

I would remove them IMHO. One tangle was enough for me. I think my clownfish poked it too much.

Hope everything gets better! I agree with Tamberav on the carbon.

How much carbon for a 24 gallon? And thank you that's all I wanted to know and enough for me to get them out. I will be removing them promptly. I don't want to risk it. I'm certain they were under stress from the trip and adding them to the tank. And last thing I want is to risk other corals or any other fish.

I know someone with a 75g infested with those, no issues with fish though. They are pretty potent though and could kill other corals/fish if they were dying/under stress. If you tried to frag them in the tank or nuke some with kalk, ect. It would certainly be bad news.

I would add some carbon.

On that note, I would never keep these because they grow so fast and would need to be fragged often. Since they are quiet toxic I don't feel this particular morph is worth the risk. This is just my personal opinion.

I had some of these in my original reef tank... Started spewing toxins and killed any corals near them. Promptly took them back to the LFS who apologized and realized they had been mislabeled. Into the trash they went and I got a gift card to replace what had died.

I miss that LFS.

I would remove them IMHO. One tangle was enough for me. I think my clownfish poked it too much.

Hope everything gets better! I agree with Tamberav on the carbon.

How much carbon for a 24 gallon? And thank you that's all I wanted to know and enough for me to get them out. I will be removing them promptly. I don't want to risk it. I'm certain they were under stress from the trip and adding them to the tank. And last thing I want is to risk other corals or any other fish.

Don't throw them in the garbage. You don't want that rotting toxic crap in there, especially if you have dogs/cats that may get into it.

They were actually all on a little string kinda. I actually flushed them. Didn't want them in the trash. Even tho it's already done do you think that's ok? I was looking in my tank looks like I lost some smaller mushrooms as well. That's the only thing I think it could have been actually now that I think of it I had a nitrate spike before I went out of town my nitrites were a a little elevated as well so I did a 50% water change nitrite went undetectable but nitrate was still up then two days later the day before leaving they were still a little elevated so I did a 25% change. Had my husband do another 25% change because the nitrates went up again while I was gone. That was after I lost the fish so two days ago.

Anyway they are gone I'll keep my eyes peeled to make sure everything is ok. I do have a small amount of carbon in but I'm thinking I need a bit more.

Don't throw them in the garbage. You don't want that rotting toxic crap in there, especially if you have dogs/cats that may get into it.

Archived