ReefCleaners.org

Sumpless Mr. Aqua tanks? AKA need help choosing a new tank

GunslingerGirl

GunslingerGirl

Hey everybody- not a new user...just a new name. Had to create a new account after I lost the password and had to deactivate my old email accounts due to a major computer virus outbreak.

Anyway, guess I would prefer not to go by my old name anyway just for a fresh start.

Bringing me to my question, but some history first:

I have recently moved into a new apartment, and with a new apartment came back my reefing bug.

I have a 5 gallon cube set up right now with a lonely/poor clownfish cooped up inside. (I know.. I know... I was stupid when I first started into things 4 years back). Well the clown is getting bigger.. I'd say he's about just under two inches now and I came into enough cash to hopefully upgrade his digs and save him from his suffering.

I was looking originally at the IM Nuvo 10 but after seeing them in person the tank looks not that much bigger than my current tank...

THEN i remember Mr. Aqua tanks! So I have been looking at the 22 g bookshelf and 25 g cube. But alas I don't seem very many people with them without sumps.

So I'm thinking... I'm not handy enough to build/drill an AIO/Sump. My LFS is currently not helpful (I need to find a better one). Is it feasible to run either without a sump and with a good skimmer and water changes? Or should I be looking at something different?

I want the tank to be as beautiful as it can be, but I don't mind seeing some equipment. (As you can imagine I see everything in my current tank)

So I come back to you all for fresh flaming and love (hopefully more of the last one).

Thanks all in advance!

RIP Sebastian

Hey everybody- not a new user...just a new name. Had to create a new account after I lost the password and had to deactivate my old email accounts due to a major computer virus outbreak.

Anyway, guess I would prefer not to go by my old name anyway just for a fresh start.

Bringing me to my question, but some history first:

I have recently moved into a new apartment, and with a new apartment came back my reefing bug.

I have a 5 gallon cube set up right now with a lonely/poor clownfish cooped up inside. (I know.. I know... I was stupid when I first started into things 4 years back). Well the clown is getting bigger.. I'd say he's about just under two inches now and I came into enough cash to hopefully upgrade his digs and save him from his suffering.

I was looking originally at the IM Nuvo 10 but after seeing them in person the tank looks not that much bigger than my current tank...

THEN i remember Mr. Aqua tanks! So I have been looking at the 22 g bookshelf and 25 g cube. But alas I don't seem very many people with them without sumps.

So I'm thinking... I'm not handy enough to build/drill an AIO/Sump. My LFS is currently not helpful (I need to find a better one). Is it feasible to run either without a sump and with a good skimmer and water changes? Or should I be looking at something different?

I want the tank to be as beautiful as it can be, but I don't mind seeing some equipment. (As you can imagine I see everything in my current tank)

So I come back to you all for fresh flaming and love (hopefully more of the last one).

Thanks all in advance!

Welcome back! Glad to have you. I love the looks of long and shallow tanks like the Mr. Aqua. You have several options:

1. Oceanbox Designs makes AIO inserts, overflow boxes/surface skimmers for HOB filters and an "SOB Sump". They have a build thread on here and a website: www.oceanboxdesigns.com

2. Use an AC110 with an InTank media basket. It can fit the Tunze 9001, if you wanted it to. You could add the surface skimmer from Oceanbox if you wanted to.

3. Go AIO. I like long and shallow tanks, so I purchased the Nuvo 30L. It has a mini sump in the back. No plumbing needed.

Good luck,

Nick

GunslingerGirl

Welcome back! Glad to have you. I love the looks of long and shallow tanks like the Mr. Aqua. You have several options:

1. Oceanbox Designs makes AIO inserts, overflow boxes/surface skimmers for HOB filters and an "SOB Sump". They have a build thread on here and a website: www.oceanboxdesigns.com

2. Use an AC110 with an InTank media basket. It can fit the Tunze 9001, if you wanted it to. You could add the surface skimmer from Oceanbox if you wanted to.

3. Go AIO. I like long and shallow tanks, so I purchased the Nuvo 30L. It has a mini sump in the back. No plumbing needed.

Good luck,

Nick

Thanks for the input!

I'm trying to stay reasonable with all the mods (being in graduate school and all that loans are making me have a budget also I have no time... at all). So I think most of the AIO tanks above the nuvo 10 are just going to be out of my price point. The converting kits seem nice, but I don't know if I could install them. I have a bit of OCD so if I screw up the silicon I am kinda liable to throw a tantrum :eek: and once again I have the price consideration. (However would be willing to shell out for something like this) The HOB's have always seemed like an option I just couldn't remember the type everybody used.

What I would ideally like to do is to get a tank and get it set up bare bones for right now. I have enough live rock to seed my dry rock being stored in my basement (which reminds me I should get around to cleaning that again), and I have a couple old koralia 425 powerheads to start. I can always buy another to kill any dead spots I find.

I can add a skimmer and all that as I build up more in my savings account and add more livestock. As it stands I need to buy a new light before I can add back any corals (sold them before I moved a couple years back after my nice light was splashed by water... thanks dog for overzealously going after the mailman). I was thinking some par bulbs or maybe reefbreeders nano lite or something like that.

So I guess I should just say I have about 200-250 to spend currently.

While not as pretty do you all think I should just use a standard 20 L and covert that? While I would love to go big and get a 50 I have no room for much above a 30. ANNNNNND Petco dollar sales cannot be that far away..

GunslingerGirl

20L is one of my favorite tanks. Stick a HOB filter on it and call it a day

Fair enough. Just seem to have gotten used to my rimless look. Although if I can convert it (via AIO kit or HOB) for the price of the mr aqua 22 just by itself... that's why I am having problems deciding.

masterbuilder

I know...rimless is nice (I have one) ....but....a rimmed 20L can really look nice with minimal effort and a little imagination. Your little clown will think he/she hit the lottery.

GunslingerGirl

I know...rimless is nice (I have one) ....but....a rimmed 20L can really look nice with minimal effort and a little imagination. Your little clown will think he/she hit the lottery.

Fair enough.

Going that route do you recommend attempting the conversion kit or the HOB 110? If I take a weekend and go relatively slow... maaaaybe my nerves can be calm enough to use the conversion kit. Although I'll have to act fast on that since school starts up in about a week...

masterbuilder

HOB. Might not be as techie but doesnt take up tank space. Put a couple of coats of black paint on the back and you wont notice it much. Easy on the wallet and works great. My 2 cents.

RIP Sebastian

Thanks for the input!

I'm trying to stay reasonable with all the mods (being in graduate school and all that loans are making me have a budget also I have no time... at all). So I think most of the AIO tanks above the nuvo 10 are just going to be out of my price point. The converting kits seem nice, but I don't know if I could install them. I have a bit of OCD so if I screw up the silicon I am kinda liable to throw a tantrum :eek: and once again I have the price consideration. (However would be willing to shell out for something like this) The HOB's have always seemed like an option I just couldn't remember the type everybody used.

What I would ideally like to do is to get a tank and get it set up bare bones for right now. I have enough live rock to seed my dry rock being stored in my basement (which reminds me I should get around to cleaning that again), and I have a couple old koralia 425 powerheads to start. I can always buy another to kill any dead spots I find.

I can add a skimmer and all that as I build up more in my savings account and add more livestock. As it stands I need to buy a new light before I can add back any corals (sold them before I moved a couple years back after my nice light was splashed by water... thanks dog for overzealously going after the mailman). I was thinking some par bulbs or maybe reefbreeders nano lite or something like that.

So I guess I should just say I have about 200-250 to spend currently.

While not as pretty do you all think I should just use a standard 20 L and covert that? While I would love to go big and get a 50 I have no room for much above a 30. ANNNNNND Petco dollar sales cannot be that far away..

I would say you have two options:

1. Get the nicer tank with the filtration that takes away the clean lines (which always bugs me)

2. Get the cheaper tank and keep it clean. If you use clear silicone, you can hardly see it when it dries. Plus, it you include the cost of the media basket and filter, it's just about even.

So it really comes down to the lines. Since you're in college, I'd say go 20L. Things can happen, right?

Good luck,

Nick

You don't have to have a sump. You could easily do an hob filter with floss and carbon and have success. Its also affordable with no mods needed.

Same thing with the skimmer. Its not necessary and in future you could add one if you feel your system needs it.

I do like the IM's and lucked out to get 1 used. The 20g IM's are nice but not cheap brand new.

I run the 17 gallon with no sump, literally just what clown79 said, hob filter with floss and carbon. It's worked well for me and it's nice to be able to keep it simple!

GunslingerGirl

You don't have to have a sump. You could easily do an hob filter with floss and carbon and have success. Its also affordable with no mods needed.

Same thing with the skimmer. Its not necessary and in future you could add one if you feel your system needs it.

I do like the IM's and lucked out to get 1 used. The 20g IM's are nice but not cheap brand new.

I would love to get a IM 20.. but alas... the money.. And hardly anybody reefs in my area apparently. (Although I have yet to join the local club since I just moved here)

I run the 17 gallon with no sump, literally just what clown79 said, hob filter with floss and carbon. It's worked well for me and it's nice to be able to keep it simple!

It's good to know it can be done!

I have a never used oceanbox AIO for a discount if you would like. Decided to build a sump instead.

For a Mr. Aqua or a standard?

Also went to the LFS a few days back and I think there was a 25 ish gallon cube for ...if I read the price tag correctly... $99. Although I have a reaaaallly hard time believing I read it correctly. I didn't spend much time on it lol. However if that's the case... OBVIOUSLY that's the tank I have to choose.

But they aren't open until Wednesday and I forgot to call yesterday. :/ Maybe they'll answer FB.

GunslingerGirl

22gal Mr. Aqua

I will definitely keep that in mind. Can I think about it for a bit? I need a week or so to sit on prices and options.

GunslingerGirl

Now I am looking at what Teeny did with that Nuvo and I feel like I am back at square one :\

It would fit the budget...the spot.. but I just don't know about what else I could stick in for tank mates.

GunslingerGirl

Holy crap the tank at the store is 99 bucks! Woo hoo. 25 gallons under a bill? Woot!

So now I'll probably be getting that. And using a HOB maybe AC110? Might add a skimmer and hide it behind the rock work later on.

Any suggestions for a stand? Current one I have is a full inch too short. And I wouldn't want to push that. Just any actual wooden stand probably would be fine yea?

Keep my eyes out for garage sales.

mashedpotato

Holy crap the tank at the store is 99 bucks! Woo hoo. 25 gallons under a bill? Woot!

So now I'll probably be getting that. And using a HOB maybe AC110? Might add a skimmer and hide it behind the rock work later on.

Any suggestions for a stand? Current one I have is a full inch too short. And I wouldn't want to push that. Just any actual wooden stand probably would be fine yea?

Keep my eyes out for garage sales.

Oceanbox designs sells a media basket for the AC110 that allows a Tunze 9001 skimmer to fit.

Check out my build. Sumps are by no means a necessity. But I believe Mr. Aqua tanks are discontinued now. Marine Depot sells those new AquaMaxx tanks which are pretty identical-looking.

I have a Mr. Aqua 25cube with an AC70 running chemipure-elite, purigen, and floss along with a korallia nano 425.

It's been running for about two/three months, it's an upgrade from a 30cm cube that had my clowns in it for about 7 months. No problems so far. I just installed a smart ato micro on it yesterday and now it's even easier for me to maintain. I drilled a hole in the lid of the AC70 to feed the hose through and used the hose magnet to secure it to the underside of the lid, works perfectly and nothing is visually in the way.

I would go with an AC110 though just for the added water volume. You can fit a ReefOctopus NS-80 skimmer in the 70 but not much else. A 110 would probably allow the skimmer and some carbon/purigen to fit and not be completely crammed in there.

I love the hob filter on my cube. Works well and more budget friendly.

Also, Mr. Aqua tanks are not discontinued. Marinedepot just isn't selling them anymore. Bulkreefsupply has Mr. Aqua tanks, just not the huge ones. I think the biggest one they have is the 25g cube. That's where I got mine. I haven't heard anything bad about the Aquamaxx tanks either.

Now I am looking at what Teeny did with that Nuvo and I feel like I am back at square one :\

It would fit the budget...the spot.. but I just don't know about what else I could stick in for tank mates.

LOL, for what it's worth I'm seriously thinking about moving my clowns over to my 40g tank. They're just getting a little cramped and there's no room for a bta for them to host.

I think the the 25g cube sounds great!

GunslingerGirl

LOL, for what it's worth I'm seriously thinking about moving my clowns over to my 40g tank. They're just getting a little cramped and there's no room for a bta for them to host.

I think the the 25g cube sounds great!

Thanks teeny!

The 25 ended up being perfect! Since I am just going to have the one clown I'm hoping this tank will be it until I get to have my dream office tank in like 10 years lol

Check out my build. Sumps are by no means a necessity. But I believe Mr. Aqua tanks are discontinued now. Marine Depot sells those new AquaMaxx tanks which are pretty identical-looking.

I got some Marineland knockoff. Seams aren't super clean, but they were definitely overdone lol

Oceanbox designs sells a media basket for the AC110 that allows a Tunze 9001 skimmer to fit.

Leaning toward that or adding macro directly to tank and just doing a slimskim nano. It's pretty enough for the display.

I have a Mr. Aqua 25cube with an AC70 running chemipure-elite, purigen, and floss along with a korallia nano 425.

It's been running for about two/three months, it's an upgrade from a 30cm cube that had my clowns in it for about 7 months. No problems so far. I just installed a smart ato micro on it yesterday and now it's even easier for me to maintain. I drilled a hole in the lid of the AC70 to feed the hose through and used the hose magnet to secure it to the underside of the lid, works perfectly and nothing is visually in the way.

I would go with an AC110 though just for the added water volume. You can fit a ReefOctopus NS-80 skimmer in the 70 but not much else. A 110 would probably allow the skimmer and some carbon/purigen to fit and not be completely crammed in there.

I love the hob filter on my cube. Works well and more budget friendly.

That's a good option. Seems easy enough.

Archived