ReefCleaners.org

Starting an IM 20G Nuvo Fusion Golden Dwarf Moray Eel Tank

If I were to try to secure the lid, I'd probably use command hooks (some other small hook) on the lid/top of the aquarium glass with a strand of fishing line to secure it. It would be fairly minimalist and would be able to be done with the tank you are looking at. The fishing line would need to be hooked down when you were done in the tank.

• Like 1

Off the top of your head, any ideas on what might be some other fish or inverts to consider with the GDM in a long 30G?

How about a pair of larger clownfish (like Saddleback, Clarkii, or Tomato).

• Like 1

Merthynia,

That is a very creative and clever way of going about it. I was wondering why something like a clamp doesn't exist for an aquarium top. I envision something with this kind of function, only made out of plastic: http://bit.ly/2buax2z

I imagine that the constant locking and unlocking could certainly put stress on the glass or the top, but it would make life so easy for people who want added security on aquarium lids.

If I were to try to secure the lid, I'd probably use command hooks (some other small hook) on the lid/top of the aquarium glass with a strand of fishing line to secure it. It would be fairly minimalist and would be able to be done with the tank you are looking at. The fishing line would need to be hooked down when you were done in the tank.

Seabass,

OMG, the red saddlebacks are so beautiful. I had never seen this fish before. Just wow.

How about a pair of larger clownfish (like Saddleback, Clarkii, or Tomato).

Nick,

Thank you very, very, very much. Super appreciated.

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow. Honestly, unless you maybe make a rim out of conduit to go on top of the cover to weigh it down, I'm not sure how to do it.

Nick

• Like 1

Merthynia,

That is a very creative and clever way of going about it. I was wondering why something like a clamp doesn't exist for an aquarium top. I envision a clamp with this kind of function made out of plastic: http://bit.ly/2buax2z

I imagine that the constant locking and unlocking could certainly put stress on the glass or the top, but it would make life so easy for people who want added security on aquarium tops.

Seabass,

OMG, the red saddlebacks are so beautiful. I had never seen this fish before. Just wow.

Nick,

Thank you very, very, very much. Super appreciated.

Tension hooks are used for reptiles so I figured there was probably a way to incorporate them here. With the dual hook/fishing line I wouldn't think it would create a ton of stress since you could adjust it yourself, it would just inhibit anything from raising the lid higher than what you tighten the line.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been said yet but.....

Bulk Reef sells a screen top kit. I used it for my Fusion20 and it's really nice and snug. It's a great option if your still looking

20160602_220837.jpg

• Like 1

Uwdanno,

Thanks a million for that photo. Can you do me a favor and show me what the frame of that top looks like underneath? I'm trying to get ideas about how to weigh it down as much as possible.

Not sure if it's been said yet but.....

Bulk Reef sells a screen top kit. I used it for my Fusion20 and it's really nice and snug. It's a great option if your still looking

Other livestock options will be limited because the tank is only 30g.

The eel isn't compatible with most of the fish you could house with it in a 30g.

Liveaquaria.com has a compatibility chart- angels are compatible with the eel.

• Like 1

Clown,

I will check that out. Thanks!

Other livestock options will be limited because the tank is only 30g.

The eel isn't compatible with most of the fish you could house with it in a 30g.

Liveaquaria.com has a compatibility chart- angels are compatible with the eel.

Uwdanno,

Thanks a million for that photo. Can you do me a favor and show me what the frame of that top looks like underneath? I'm trying to get ideas about how to weigh it down as much as possible.

Sure. This is the underside

22EA6B1C-DD4A-4B44-9651-A3F4AAE96F56.jpg

4313C289-3598-416C-BD13-44A55E68196D.jpg

• Like 1

Uwdanno,

Thanks a ton. The photos certainly answer a few of my questions. As far as weighing down the stock lid itself, I think that settling on it may be too risky for housing an eel. In some sick, sad way, I was hoping that I might have access to a hollow part of the lid's frame (underneath) and maybe fill it with something heavy. Was worth a shot.

Been researching a lot in relation to this lid issue. Sliding fasteners, magnets, or a heavy LED light that somehow reinforces the lid by resting on top of the aquarium have all been considered. I also read up on some acrylic welders out of the DC-area and was pleased with some of the work they do. I am seriously thinking about going with this actually: http://bit.ly/2brgfUH The catch, though, is that the lid is five pounds or less. Asked a question on the website and got a vague answer yesterday. So, I'm trying to get in touch with the welder himself, and today I inquired about a custom lid to increase the weight density of the acrylic it's built out of. I imagine that more acrylic ought to weigh it down, but let's see what the guy says. I really, really, really hope this will be a logical solution. Thoughts?

Sure. This is the underside

The inside of it is hollow. You have to piece the individual sides together with a 90 degree corner piece. I imagine you could probably fill the inside with something.

• Like 1

Uwdanno,

Okay, I understand now. So I actually build the new lid from BRS. That's excellent. Definitely still a realistic option then. Thank you as always!

The inside of it is hollow. You have to piece the individual sides together with a 90 degree corner piece. I imagine you could probably fill the inside with something.

William,

Yeah, I am in contact with Artfully Acrylic. Still haven't heard back from them though. Know any other places that do this kind of work?

Check out artfully acrylic, they make custom lids

• Like 1

Currently, here is where I'm at on the 30L build. I've been putting in a lot of thought to this, so I decided to start a spreadsheet. See attachment.

I am undecided on a few things which I have yet to include on the list. They are:

- BRS DIY aquarium lid : http://bit.ly/2bJbohX

- Artfully Acrylic 30L ClearView lid : http://bit.ly/2brgfUH

- Live or dry rock and quantity

- Brand and quantity of live sand

- CUC

- Aquarium-specific surge protector

- Battery backup

I have read many threads about 30L builds, but so many of them have been taken apart and this makes it tough to see which ones last. Another option I have been considering is the Red Sea C-130. I love the hood that it comes with, and there is an LED mod for the dated light system which comes stock. I would love to know what the community thinks would be the best home for a GDM eel. Thanks in advance as always.

NUVO30L.pdf

I own a golden dwarf moray eel. By far I would run for my life if an LFS was trying to sell it to me. If you buy it out of the mainland US expect to pay $300-$500 I bought mine out of hawaii for $100+90 for shipping but i live in a really expensive location. If you live near a major airport its gonna be about 50 to that major airport. But i would say you could keep a dwarf in a 30L Just a word of advice If the eels head looks like it may fit through a lid it will. Mine has jumped out on me 5-10 times. Luckily i usually catch him within an hour. Once he made 6 hours out of tank and survived. Mine is 16" Im just assuming thats because he is in a really large tank. Another thing is that they are really hard to get to eat. he wouldn't eat for 3 months after i got him and then i got him to eat live ghost shrimp. I still feed him ghost shrimp as he won't eat anything dead. Then On rock i would get 30 pounds of reef cleaners rock. Its the perfect rock for a golden dwarf eel as it can tunnel through the rocks and you don't need to buy PVC for caves and for CUC The fang toothed eels usually won't harm hermits and what not but i have seen mine take down some dwarf cerith snails. I'd just go with 20 hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, 20 dwarf cerith snails. and for sand i would go with crystal reef sand and 30-40 lbs. Beautiful sand.

• Like 1

Sal,

Thank you so much for writing, this is some really great information. I have a few questions for you though. Why ought I "run away" from an LFS selling a GDM? I would also really appreciate learning who or where you purchased your GDM from. I live about ten minutes away from Asheville Regional Airport; I'm not sure if it would be considered a "major airport." We usually have to connect through Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte and La Guardia between three major passenger airlines (American, Delta and United). I'm not entirely sure why the airport is important -- I imagine this might be a concern because of customs, right?

My biggest priority seems to be the lid or hood situation. I've been considering many options. Among them are an acrylic lid, a DIY lid which I can fill hollow pieces of frame with metal pellets or something to increase its weight or a Red Sea C-130 -- an altogether different aquarium which includes a hood built into it. I want to make the tank as escape-proof as possible. I don't know if you have experiences with any of these possibilities. What did you do for your GDM tank?

Reef Cleaners rock is now on my list. Is this what you're referring to? http://bit.ly/2blMg03 I was really trying to avoid PVC pipe, so your advice is a positive reinforcement. I think PVC is really ugly. As for the sand, is this what you recommend? http://bit.ly/2blNwjz CUC also written down and listed. Thanks again for your insight. I really appreciate it!

I own a golden dwarf moray eel. By far I would run for my life if an LFS was trying to sell it to me. If you buy it out of the mainland US expect to pay $300-$500 I bought mine out of hawaii for $100+90 for shipping but i live in a really expensive location. If you live near a major airport its gonna be about 50 to that major airport. But i would say you could keep a dwarf in a 30L Just a word of advice If the eels head looks like it may fit through a lid it will. Mine has jumped out on me 5-10 times. Luckily i usually catch him within an hour. Once he made 6 hours out of tank and survived. Mine is 16" Im just assuming thats because he is in a really large tank. Another thing is that they are really hard to get to eat. he wouldn't eat for 3 months after i got him and then i got him to eat live ghost shrimp. I still feed him ghost shrimp as he won't eat anything dead. Then On rock i would get 30 pounds of reef cleaners rock. Its the perfect rock for a golden dwarf eel as it can tunnel through the rocks and you don't need to buy PVC for caves and for CUC The fang toothed eels usually won't harm hermits and what not but i have seen mine take down some dwarf cerith snails. I'd just go with 20 hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, 20 dwarf cerith snails. and for sand i would go with crystal reef sand and 30-40 lbs. Beautiful sand.

Sal,

Thank you so much for writing, this is some really great information. I have a few questions for you though. Why ought I "run away" from an LFS selling a GDM? I would also really appreciate learning who or where you purchased your GDM from. I live about ten minutes away from Asheville Regional Airport; I'm not sure if it would be considered a "major airport." We usually have to connect through Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte and La Guardia between three major passenger airlines (American, Delta and United). I'm not entirely sure why the airport is important -- I imagine this might be a concern because of customs, right?

My biggest priority seems to be the lid or hood situation. I've been considering many options. Among them are an acrylic lid, a DIY lid which I can fill hollow pieces of frame with metal pellets or something to increase its weight or a Red Sea C-130 -- an altogether different aquarium which includes a hood built into it. I want to make the tank as escape-proof as possible. I don't know if you have experiences with any of these possibilities. What did you do for your GDM tank?

Reef Cleaners rock is now on my list. Is this what you're referring to? http://bit.ly/2blMg03 I was really trying to avoid PVC pipe, so your advice is a positive reinforcement. I think PVC is really ugly. As for the sand, is this what you recommend? http://bit.ly/2blNwjz CUC also written down and listed. Thanks again for your insight. I really appreciate it!

His Ebay username is Investing2day that i got my eel from. here is his store. http://www.ebay.com/usr/investing2day?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 Just watch his store. He usually gets them in 1-2 at a time and they sell quick. He usually gets them in once every 3-4 months. He is really hard to get in contact through eBay though. He usually is really easy to contact via text though. And why i said that about running from an lfs with an eel is that they are usually 300-500 dollars at any fish store unless your lucky and I'm a real cheapskate. And for my GDM tank i got some window screens and what not. basically what The BRS one would be. The only issue is mine has a small hole in it to let cords and the overflow box through Get the smallest screen they sell. forgot what size it is but its really small and perfect. and the rock is right. the sand is the right stuff but here is where you can get it cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-White-Aragonite-Aquarium-Reef-Sand-Rock-Crystal-Reef-99-lb-SALE-/162043789935?var=461011788828&hash=item25ba90026f:m:mwO63Fi_uG2esa-Gf-WMRgw

• Like 1

A lot has happened since my last post. Originally, I anticipated purchasing the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20G Nano to house a Golden Dwarf Moray eel. After realizing 20G was too small for the GDM, I intended on starting an IM Nuvo Fusion 30L FOWLR. On Sunday, everything changed again as I happened to find a great deal on a used IM Nuvo Fusion 40G Mini from a hobbyist who was upgrading to an 80G shallow-reef tank. http://bit.ly/2bA5WPb The 40G was full of water when I picked it up – it has no leaks, scratches or cracks and looked very good except for the coralline in it. My purchase included the following:

1. IM Nuvo Fusion Mini 40 Aquarium
  2. Customized Stand 27.25”L x 23.125”W x 36”H
  3. ADJ PC-100A AC Power Strip (Built Into Stand)
  4. Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9004
  5. OceanRevive Arctic-T-247-B 120W LED Aquarium Light
  6. IM AUQA Gadget Custom Caddy Fusion 40 Media Basket
  7. Aqueon Pro 150 Heater (150W)
  8. Vee Gee Scientific STX-3 Handheld Refractometer
  9. Coralife Digital Thermometer
  10. Approximately 26 lbs. of Nature’s Ocean Aragonite Sand #0

Everything has been twice-cleaned with tap water and vinegar thoroughly by me. The aquarium used to be home to many corals, so there was a lot to scratch off of the equipment and pumps. For glass, I wiped away the sand, coralline and residue very gently from the aquarium. After hours of cleaning every nook and cranny of every piece, things looked great, and I am excited about my purchase -- I even painted the custom stand to match my furniture. It's also a relief to know I saved so much money as the seller and I agreed on a total price of $380 for everything. The seller was a super nice and reasonable.

An even more satisfying resolution is the answer to the lid issue I faced last week. GDMs can easily push the lid off an IM Nuvo tank, no question about it. However, the OceanRevive LED system (which was included in my purchase) rests directly on the rim and lid of the aquarium itself. This allows the tank's lid to be totally reinforced by the weight of the LED system, which is 15 pounds. I think it's a pleasant and practical solution. Funny how things work out.

I realize that the next step is to collect some remaining items to begin cycling. On my list are:

1. Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10-QD QuietDrive Propeller Pump
  2. Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10-QD QuietDrive Propeller Pump Foam Guards
  3. Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off System
  4. Florida Reef Rock (Dry) – 50 lbs.
  5. Red Sea MCP Marine Master Care Test Kit
  6. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt Mix – 160G Bucket

Do I need anything else before I start cycling? Is there something substandard in the first list of items I acquired which should be replaced with something better? Not sure if I am a fan of the Aqueon heater despite a majority of positive reviews. Thanks as always.

• Like 1

I would buy ammonium chloride off amazon as well as microbacter7 or seachem stability to help start your cycle. A quick google on

Fishless cycling should describe the process

• Like 1

Just wanted to upload some before and after pictures of the tank after the cleaning. Chose the rock. Just a couple more things I'm waiting on before it gets wet! So excited.

BEFORE

before%201.jpgbefore%202.jpg

AFTER

after1.jpgafter2.jpg

• Like 4

I've made some big moves on the 40G tank this weekend: finally obtained the base rock, test kits, salt water and fishless cycling drops. Also made friends with some up-and-coming LFS entrepreneurs in the area who are really experienced and knowledgeable. Winning. Very, very pleased and excited to say the least. I spent the weekend shopping around and making decisions. Pretty content with the results.

Took in about 35 gallons of RODI-mixed saltwater and 44 pounds of dry rock. I didn't end up using about 15 pounds of it, so I was a little short on the 1:1 ratio of gallons to rock. The rock was really stable and clean -- love how porous it is.

02.jpg01.jpg

On the other hand, the dry sand was such a time-consuming mission to rinse. I think I must have given it at least twenty thorough rinses in a five-gallon bucket before it looked decent. My hands feel great though -- total exfoliation and an excellent forearm workout.

03.jpg04.jpg

Luckily, some really excellent base rock was chosen and I bought eight ounces of rock epoxy to scuplt. I tried the Instant Ocean brand first which was okay, but the Fluval brand was way better. Getting the sculpture inside the tank was tricky but luckily there is a couch next to the aquarium which made it easy to maneuver the crag into place. The formation came out pretty sick, considering it will be a playground for an eel and diverse CUC. The rock has a few caverns that twist, turn and provide swim-throughs, which reminded me of a cave system rather than the covered-tunnel builds I have seen many eel keepers go with. Florida base rock was great to work with. I started filling it up with a lot of care; thankfully, everything went smoothly.

05.jpg06.jpg

I plugged in a Chinese powerhead and let her rip. I am using a borrowed powerhead at the moment since I'm on the fence about a Vortech MP10, I'll open that door when I get there, but everything feels great so far. I really love the durability and formation of the rock structure as well as the kind of sand I got, even if it took forever to clean. It reminds me of the sand you see in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

07.jpg08.jpg

After one night, the sand settled really nicely and my filter went to work. Here's where I'm at right now. Very excited! Thanks for keeping up with me guys!

10.jpg12.jpg

• Like 2