inTank Media Baskets

New Reefer Coral Life BioCube 29 Lighting Suggestions

jonbrett1200

jonbrett1200

Hello fellow reefers,

I recently purchased a Coral Life Biocube 29G tank in hopes to get into the reefing hobby. I am still purchasing the various other equipment that i need for a successful tank and have been exploring the various options for lighting. Any suggestions for a not-so-expensive lighting option that will provide the necessary light to successfully keep a reef with any corals i choose? Thanks alot!!!

What kind of corals? SPS? Softies, LPS. It does matter.

Take a look at my build thread, my LED upgrade cost about $120. I wouldn't put Acro's in it. But my monticap seemed to like it just fine.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/220525-land0s-reef/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/212477-landos-led-lit-bc29/

I built a retrofit back when I had a BC29 a couple years ago... I followed evilc66's LED retrofit thread to do it myself. I enjoyed it alot

Now that I am just now getting back into the hobby I am thinking of getting a Aqua Illumination Hydra26 HD to put over my 30 rimless JBJ, A hydra26 would probably be a pretty good choice for you as well imo. Should provide a good amount of PAR for coral... I've yet to see one in person though.. Im hoping it looks pretty similar to a tank under a ecotech LED set up

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/220525-land0s-reef/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/212477-landos-led-lit-bc29/

I built a retrofit back when I had a BC29 a couple years ago... I followed evilc66's LED retrofit thread to do it myself. I enjoyed it alot

Now that I am just now getting back into the hobby I am thinking of getting a Aqua Illumination Hydra26 HD to put over my 30 rimless JBJ, A hydra26 would probably be a pretty good choice for you as well imo. Should provide a good amount of PAR for coral... I've yet to see one in person though.. Im hoping it looks pretty similar to a tank under a ecotech LED set up

Looks nice. FYI most of your pics aren't showing.

RIP Sebastian

Jamescstein im thinking many anenomes like bubble tips and Zoas. What do you think about the current USA orbit marine Led?

:welcome:

BTAs require lots and lots of light. Along the line you will want to get SPS- you will, no matter what you tell yourself now. From what I've heard, the Orbit isn't really great for SPS, let alone BTAs. I am going to recommend Nanobox. Best lights, and Dave's the best. For a BC 29 you should go with a Duo. Alternatively, you could go with a Kessil A150 or 160. Another option is the AI Prime.

Nick

Hello fellow reefers,

I recently purchased a Coral Life Biocube 29G tank in hopes to get into the reefing hobby. I am still purchasing the various other equipment that i need for a successful tank and have been exploring the various options for lighting. Any suggestions for a not-so-expensive lighting option that will provide the necessary light to successfully keep a reef with any corals i choose? Thanks alot!!!

Hey there, Hi there!!! :welcome: To NR :) Great Place.

I Have an AI Prime. I have a JBJ Nano Cube (28 Gal.)

I removed my Hood, which had CFLs (Compact Fluorescents) And went with an AI Prime. I am very Happy with it!

I do admit, it took some learning on how to use it. It is WIFI and will connect to a "Smart Phone".

I Have a Red Bubble Tip Anem and just got a Green Long Tentacle Anem the other day.

We also have Zoanthids. So far,I lost 2 trumpet corals (My Fault and lack of understanding that Blastos were too close).

If u look at my build, u will see my progression. I just got back into the Hobby in February. For now, I am very happy with

keeping it simple, stupid ;) (K.I.S.S)

As posters above me, they are giving very good and sound advice and options.

This Hobby is a Slow and steady hobby. A Cycle can take 2-4 weeks.

Glad to have ya on board. Again, :welcome: to NR B)

I have a bc29 and recommend nanobox for sure! Although I would actually recommend the retrofit because it very easily Is mounted inside the hood. Dave has a DIY step by step guide.

I don't even have mine running close to Max and I'm keeping an anemone and monti etc. successfully! This hobby is pricey but you'll regret not getting the quality product when the cheaper stuff doesn't work.

Archived