inTank Media Baskets

Did i just start my cycle over again?

zacharin0

Okay, so i stupidly left the fan on for a long period of time in my cycling reef tank and the temperature dropped a whole 5 degrees in about 6 hours. Is most of my bacteria dead now? Does it have to be recycled? I was almost done too!

I can't think of any scenario a reefer could do to kill their bac other than by dosing antibiotics or true drying

The bac are the strongest communities in the tank. Wrong salinity won't kill them, temp 90 degrees or 50, long air exposure but not true desiccation etc. no standard aquarium mishap sterilizes our surfaces agreed all above. Also, when reading online material about marine bac be sure and not consult materials that sell it in a bottle, bac are presented as easy to kill there, so you'll buy more.

I had a power outage in a snow storm and my tank got to 67'ish. The bacteria had no problems.

Ouch! 67 is pretty cold. Mine has dropped to 70 or so in the same situation. Oh how I love hauling buckets up the ladder to create a siphon water flow at 3am :D Cooked some water on the stove too !

I even had frogspawn heads 1" out of the water in 55 degree air! (did loose a few heads but most recovered)

Zach your tank is 100% fine.

Ouch! 67 is pretty cold. Mine has dropped to 70 or so in the same situation. Oh how I love hauling buckets up the ladder to create a siphon water flow at 3am :D Cooked some water on the stove too !

I even had frogspawn heads 1" out of the water in 55 degree air! (did loose a few heads but most recovered)

Zach your tank is 100% fine.

The only thing I lost was a cardinal fish. All the corals, SPS, clams, ect were just fine. The temp dropped so gradual I think most handled it okay. I know with shipping that too cold > too hot any day!

Archived