Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Water Chemistry Help

SideCar_Falcon619

SideCar_Falcon619

So I have a JBJ 10 Gallon Rimless that I had different plans for, but rarely does life go as planned.

A few nights ago my biocube cracked in the back and sprung a bad leak which prompted me to evacuate the inhabitants into my other tanks until I can get the BC Fixed. Or maybe I won't bother fixing idk yet.

but that was 3 days ago and now my JBJ went from having one coral and 3 fish in it to having 9 corals and 3 fish.

Big flux for corals.

I understand that the large flux will probably wreak havoc on my water chemistry. So I need experienced help in planning and improving water quality moving forward.

Today I did a water change and tested the water both before and later that night after.

The readings are below.

My Calcium is the real concern for me. But please, input on any level is appreciated.

Before water change

28308489223_a7b1731996_b.jpgIMG_2845 by Michael Marella, on Flickr

Couple hours after water change

28306319904_852db748a1_b.jpgIMG_2847 by Michael Marella, on Flickr

I'm still just learning most of this so I'm assuming I need to set up a dosing game plan. At least for the Calcium. I just need some guidance and maybe product recommendations?

Thanks Friends

Wow, you really changed the specific gravity with your water change. This increases your levels (although 340 is still low). Phosphate is also alarmingly high.

What type of corals did you add? Softies shouldn't consume a lot of elements. Larger and more frequent water changes might be enough.

However, if you need to replenish consumed elements, here is a great video on dosing:

The Bulk Reef Supply elements are good. ESV Bionic is also good for small tanks.

First, bring your parameters up to your target points (the instructions on each product should tell you how much is required to achieve this). Your target could be:

• 420 ppm calcium
  • 9 dKH alkalinity*
  • 1350 magnesium
Or just match the levels of a newly mixed batch of saltwater (which is what I tend to prefer). If you are unhappy with the levels of your salt mix, switch brands.

Note: Don't increase alkalinity levels more than 0.5 meq/L (1.4 dKH) per day, or increase calcium more than 50 ppm per day.

* Alkalinity should be near NSW levels (7 dKH) for an ULN system.

After you have corrected your tank parameters, wait a few days, retest, and compute the average daily consumption. Correct the parameters again, then start dosing the daily consumption of alkalinity and calcium. Keep testing and making adjustments until you find stability. You don't need to dose magnesium daily.

SideCar_Falcon619

Wow, you really changed the specific gravity with your water change. This increases your levels (although 340 is still low). Phosphate is also alarmingly high.

What type of corals did you add? Softies shouldn't consume a lot of elements. Larger and more frequent water changes might be enough.

However, if you need to replenish consumed elements, here is a great video on dosing:

The Bulk Reef Supply elements are good. ESV Bionic is also good for small tanks.

My coral list:

Frog spawn

Long tentacle plate

Short tentacle plate

Duncan

Acan

Xenias

Cup Coral

Button Polyps

Montipora

I'm doing a weekly water change of about 25%

I don't mix my water tho. I but l buy it from a LFS I trust. I know they use tropic Marin.

I would start buying your own water and salt- thats a large shift in sg. 1.023 to 1.027.

New water should match the sg in the dt, you will have more control if you make your own and it will cost the same if not less. Also lfs water source may not be the best.

Better to buy distilled water and a bucket of salt.

Are you testing magnesium? This is the most important element because if its not in the correct range- you won't have a balanced ca and alk, even with dosing. It will be a challenge to stabilize the 2 if the mag is out of whack.

I went through similar experience with my 15g. My ca and alk just wasn't stable even with regular water changes- my tank only had a leather, xenia, zoas when my numbers started depleting and quickly after wc's.

My water mixed tested low in magnesium. My dt was really low in mag. Once I got my mag under control the ca and alk was easy to correct.

Your phos is pretty high, you may want to add some phos remover

Archived