Innovative Marine Aquariums

GSP Not Opening Up

AlexM630

Hey guys!

I have a Fluval Spec V that I recently started, about a month and a half ago. We didn't see much of a cycle as it was all good live rock, live sand, and water from the LFS. All parameters are normal, salinity is about 1.025 (checked with my refractometer) and the corals and livestock are for the most part looking strong. I've got three zoa frags, a chalice frag, a 7 headed rainbow acan, and a euphyllia (hammer) coral. All are looking bright and healthy so far.

The only exception is this green star polyp frag that I glued to the back wall where the chambers are. For the first week it was in fine form but as of yesterday it hasn't been opening up. I thought maybe a crab had crawled on it and I did a water change (also glued in the chalice yesterday as well) but today still no luck with it. Again, the other corals are doing well as best I can see. Could the euphyllia have possibly stung it from where it's at? Other than that, what could be the issue? My only other guesses were lighting and water flow.

Right now we're running the Fluval Spec V stock pump with the spray nozzle removed in the display to increase flow. There's a good bit of flow around the tank but I do plan to upgrade the stock pump. I haven't decided on a powerhead since the Koralia 240 was too much for it and the Pico-Mag was too ugly in the display. The lighting setup is a Current USA Orbit Marine LED and we've got it set to 8 hours on full and 1 hour on either end for fade-in/fade-out. At full, we've got it set to 100% blue and 70% white.

Pics are attached...does anyone have any thoughts on how to rescue the GSP before things get worse? Thanks in advance!

post-91845-0-15440000-1470884070_thumb.jpg

post-91845-0-31301400-1470884075_thumb.jpg

post-91845-0-53765100-1470884079_thumb.jpg

This Happened to my GSP, and these things are weeds, it should be fine, mine closed as I changed the flow and it didnt like it, but have you changed something in your tank like flow or lights?

Haven't changed the flow or lights since the close-up. When I got home yesterday before the water change it was closed up. After the water change I did remove the nozzle on the return pump so that the tank got a little more flow, but it was already closed up by then. Did yours open back up? How long did it stay closed?

Thanks!
Alex

Haven't changed the flow or lights since the close-up. When I got home yesterday before the water change it was closed up. After the water change I did remove the nozzle on the return pump so that the tank got a little more flow, but it was already closed up by then. Did yours open back up? How long did it stay closed?

Thanks!

Alex

My GSP took a few days to fully open up again after change, but it was also the fact that some of the clean up crew was climbing all over it, I would give it a week, and if it is still closed then really start worrying, but I think that it should be fine. As GSP are weeds in the right conditions, as long as water parameters are good, it should be fine. As mine took a couple of days to open up again, but just to let you know, if conditions are right, a few months down the road, the GSP will take over the side of your tank.

RayWhisperer

Try brushing it with a soft toothbrush. Excessive debris, or a coating of algae, or diatoms will keep it closed. Brushing it's teeth will take care of those issues.

Thought about the toothbrush (had a distant memory of doing that to GSP years ago). If it's algae, will the spores (?) go everywhere in the tank and spread the bloom when I brush it? Should I be doing that with a suction tube in hand to suck up whatever comes off?

Thanks!
Alex

RayWhisperer

Assuming you've had it for at least a week. What makes you think any algae that came in on it isn't already in your tank?

Algae is going to be ever present in your tank. You'll clean a light green coating off your glass every week or two. It's keeping nutrients low enough to never allow it to grow out of control that you need to worry about.

Just brush it off. As long as you have a solid maintinence routine and you stick to it. You should be fine.

fishfreak0114

One time my GSP closed up for a few days and had a growth spurt. I wouldn't worry too much, it seems pretty much indestructible!

Those things are bullet proof. Put it up closer to the light. Blast it with a turkey baster to remove sand or whatever and wait a day or two you should see one or two little strands come out.

this seems to be an issue with some tanks. I don't get it this stuff is more of a pest in my tank rather than something I want. I have to trim it up weekly and give it away or flush it down the toilet. It's not flow cause mine will grow and open with a wp25 pointed at it and it does well in parts of the tank with no direct flow. Might be to clean water. A lot of my soft corals actually do better when I neglect the tank.

this seems to be an issue with some tanks. I don't get it this stuff is more of a pest in my tank rather than something I want. I have to trim it up weekly and give it away or flush it down the toilet. It's not flow cause mine will grow and open with a wp25 pointed at it and it does well in parts of the tank with no direct flow. Might be to clean water. A lot of my soft corals actually do better when I neglect the tank.

Hey if your flushing it I'll take some. My tanks bare bone empty just a big purple rock.

One time my GSP closed up for a few days and had a growth spurt. I wouldn't worry too much, it seems pretty much indestructible!

I Shouldn't worry mate, mine did the same, closed for well over a week, then opened up, growth spurt, growing very well. I tore some off ( carefully!) and glued it to back wall, looks great.

Archived