Coral Vue Hydros

Kenya Tree suggestions

shormovas

Hey guys i'm doing some research for future corals in my tank...I am new to the saltwater reef hobby and I read up on the Kenya Tree coral I really like the look of this coral. But I have come to an understanding that this coral is invasive and can easily be a pest. My question is...is there any other coral that has similar aesthetics to the Kenya tree that is not a so called pests? Obviously since i'm a beginner i'm only doing Soft Corals and LPS in my tank. Im running a Coralife Biocube stock lights.

RayWhisperer

Stick with green star polyps and zoanthids. GSP will grow rapidly, too. However, it's much easier to get rid of the excess. People will buy it, not Kenya tree. Xenia is another rapid grower that new people always want.

My advice with the GSP and Xenia. If you want it, that's fine. Keep them both isolated. GSP can be attached to the false wall in your tank and will eventually cover it. Removal from there is easy with a razor. Xenia will cover a rock in short order and once it crowds itself out, it will "self frag" as I call it. So, if you keep it, keep it on a rock you don't mind cutting.

My origional plan was to add pulsing xenia on an isolated rock....ive read stories of GSPs going crazy and growing from the back wall under the subtrate and back onto rock...I just dont want to be going crazy trying to get this stuff out of my tank

A friend of mine has a medusa coral - I think they are also called Christmas trees? I don't know a great deal about its growth rate but it sure looks tree like? BTW I am the newbiest of newbs but thought I'd put my 2 cents in just incase it's useful :)

MainelyReefer

my experience has been way different with these corals. Kenya tree was my first coral, hasn't split or spread at all, Xenia bought a colony of 30 in feb. and have maybe 50 isolated to same rock, GSP I wish it would grow faster because it's so beautiful I want it everywhere(I have three types). My trumpets, Acans, gorgonians and euphyllias have grown faster than The softies in my tank. I say go for it growth = success, success = fun, even if it is a "pest coral" to some

fishfreak0114

This may just be me and my horrible lack of ID skills, but I can't even tell Kenya tree and colt coral apart. I have colt coral (that's what I bought it as) and it hasn't grown incredibly fast.

TL:DR just get a ####### kenya tree.

Honestly this is how I feel too. It is easy to trim corals in a nano. This isn't some 300g monster you have to suit up and go swimming in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i'm doing some research for future corals in my tank...I am new to the saltwater reef hobby and I read up on the Kenya Tree coral I really like the look of this coral. But I have come to an understanding that this coral is invasive and can easily be a pest. My question is...is there any other coral that has similar aesthetics to the Kenya tree that is not a so called pests? Obviously since i'm a beginner i'm only doing Soft Corals and LPS in my tank. Im running a Coralife Biocube stock lights.

Honestly Kenya tree does grow faster and drop babies...but it's still manageable....you can always cut it back/take out the babies...I've had mine in a 5.5 gallon tank for over a year and a half..and it hasn't gotten unmanageable at all....they are considered 'weeds' just like xenia and gsp...but I like them and house all if them in my 5.5 gallon pico reef...I love the motion they bring to the tank...and it makes it look so full...my link is below

I've had a Kenya for over 3 years, I thought I killed it a long time ago but it came back. Unless you're lazy like I am it's pretty easy to manage. Xenia is the same way, just get one of the smaller varieties like Pom Pom.

If you can find Neon Green nepthea for a decent price then certainly get one, they are gorgeous corals and I don't like soft corals. :)

This is the right side of a 40 gallon. Nepthea is the big green one, and see all the Kenya tree sprouts and a few Xenia. Jus tknow what you are getting into and you should be fine. The Kenya looks pretty good under LEDs.

ADg8DYz.jpg

Archived