Pod Your Reef

How to mount montipora/flat corals?

ps2cho

How are you guys mounting flat corals such as montipora to your aquascape? What glue/epoxy?

I keep finding that the epoxy never sticks to the coral due to the slime. Is there a specific technique or a better way?

I use reef epoxy and super glue. Remove the monti from water to dry the underside. Put a dob of glue, push some epoxy into it, a dob of glue on the epoxy and then press onto the rock work. Personally, I use the Ocean Wonders epoxy any any cyanoacrylate gel super glue that I can find.

I use reef epoxy and super glue. Remove the monti from water to dry the underside. Put a dob of glue, push some epoxy into it, a dob of glue on the epoxy and then press onto the rock work. Personally, I use the Ocean Wonders epoxy any any cyanoacrylate gel super glue that I can find.

Maybe I'm not putting enough glue on then because I feel like it never holds. Or am I not holding it still long enough? Pumps are all off of course...

The glue forms a shield the second it hits water. Like a little bubble that needs to be popped. U need to grind it/twist it against the rock and than pull away and than repeat. It should than hold. U need to pop the bubble with the rock u are putting it on and than pull it away and repeat. When u pull it away from the rock you should see the bubble popped and there's stringy glue coming from the coral to the rock. U shouldn't have to hold in place for more than a few seconds.

Whats the best cyanoacrylate glue? I've been using the Gel loctite, but I find that it only gives me about 3-4 frags worth of glue, for $4.50! Expensive...

I bought a handful of others only to find that after a couple uses the end glues itself shut.

Whats the best cyanoacrylate glue? I've been using the Gel loctite, but I find that it only gives me about 3-4 frags worth of glue, for $4.50! Expensive...

I bought a handful of others only to find that after a couple uses the end glues itself shut.

Unfortunately ime, the expensive stuff works while the cheap doesn't. I bought cyanoacrylate gel from cvs. The cheap brand used 3x as much glue and fell off continuously after a few days and stopped falling once I used name brand stuff. It got the the pout that my "frag" was mostly glue instead of coral.

The glue forms a shield the second it hits water. Like a little bubble that needs to be popped. U need to grind it/twist it against the rock and than pull away and than repeat. It should than hold. U need to pop the bubble with the rock u are putting it on and than pull it away and repeat. When u pull it away from the rock you should see the bubble popped and there's stringy glue coming from the coral to the rock. U shouldn't have to hold in place for more than a few seconds.

So that's how you do it with just glue? I've never had luck with it and now I know why :).

I do glue, epoxy, glue for most everything. Works too well sometimes :lol:.

Really thick gels don't pop that well. They just harden to fast under water. The ones that are slightly more liquid work better for in water application imho. Out of water dry bottom of coral best u can, turn upside and put a small amount on bottom. Quickly dip upside down in tank or cup of water making sure glue is last to break the water surface. This will form the bubble. When u take it out and flip it over the bubble will start to sag down making it easy when placing in the tank to pop it by pushing/grinding/twisting/sliding up against where u want to place it.

I used aquascape construction epoxy to glue mine down. mix the two parts like putty, rolled into a ball pushed it over one side of monti and then pushed monti with putty into the rock in my tank. Seems to set hard.

Been about 6 weeks my red monti has almost grown over the putty and heading for the rock now.

Ive also used it to stick my gsp to the back wall of tank.

I've used the ocean wonders stuff in the past. Get a good amount for the money and the lid has a needle built in so it doesn't glue itself shut! In a pinch, loctite have a gel control super glue that I buy for $5-$6 a tube from my local hardware store. Unfortunately they don't make large sizes of it, it has a really cool applicator and works very well. May be called something else in the states but it look like this in Aus.

https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9624bbdf022e3b5395236d5cf8.ssl.cf4.rackcdn.com/Product-800x800/add19ac1-a113-488c-8951-26dcb9c5572c.jpg

Archived