ReefCleaners.org

10 gallon reef with Deep Sand Bed? YAY or NAY

anizato

Well title says it all. I want to make a 10 gallon build, but was thinking of a deep sand bed, since all there will live in it is a clown and anemone. Is this a good idea?

I do not think it is a good idea. It really depends on what you want to do. The model that Ron Schmeck, pHD invertebrae micro biologist, is one that entails mostly nutrient recycling with micro fauna and fana absorbing nutrients and feeding the tank. IMO, you don't need a dsb to provide a habitate for these micro fauna and fana, 1" of Caribsea special reef grade aragonite will accomplish this.

What was your reason for a DSB?

I would continue researching DSB, why use up half of your tank with ugly sand? (I like sand, but 6" deep won't be pretty)

(my vote is NAY)

Nope, nanos do not benefit from sandbeds atleast not in the classical sense of larger aquariums. Not enough sand in the first place and it replaces to much water volume.

It's a nano. If u want to export nutrients it's much easier to just change 100 percent of water and refill than rely on a dsb.

I was mainly curious of what people would have to say.

I guess I was sort of envisioning a tank with deep sand & rock as the only biological filtration, an anemone and a clownfish. no filter, no skimmer, only filter floss, carbon every once in a while, and a circulation pump plumbed from the back, so all you see is the rock sand and fish. but perhaps it is a bad idea since it will eliminate water volume making it a 4 gallon instead of a 10 gallon.

I was mainly curious of what people would have to say.

I guess I was sort of envisioning a tank with deep sand & rock as the only biological filtration, an anemone and a clownfish. no filter, no skimmer, only filter floss, carbon every once in a while, and a circulation pump plumbed from the back, so all you see is the rock sand and fish. but perhaps it is a bad idea since it will eliminate water volume making it a 4 gallon instead of a 10 gallon.

You can still do this. Just don't do the dsb. Add live rock, a hob filter with floss and a circulation pump and ur done. Change the water once in a while and u will be fine. That's what I do. I don't run a skimmer etc. I do do large water changes sometimes though as its so easy with such a small tank. No need for fancy equipment except my nanobox light.

Archived