SaltCritters.com

Macroalgae issues

Clown79

I purchased a shaving brush for my dt about 1.5 mnths ago.

There is a brown algae growing on it and some is going white.

The only algae issues I have is on the shaving brush?

Anyone know if its dying?

This is my first macroalgae besides chaeto and kinda confused by this.

I have an Ai prime light

Ca 440

Alk 9

Mag 1230

Well I have to agree.

The one in my 10g went yellow in 2 days and had the brown algae on it too...i got rid of it.

Now the one in my 15g is going...

All my reading on this algae- seems hit and miss on success

yeah I had one for a little while and it fizzled out too. I've failed at every macro except chaeto

do you have it in the sand?

I've tried a couple of times & had experiences much like yours, Clown79... if I recall correctly Shaving Brush (and most similar species) needs a deeper sandbed than most for the rhizomes to spread in. I only have a little less than 1" in my tank.

Maybe try encrusting/holdfasting macros? I've had decent results with just about anything that's OK with being stuck to a rock (or sticks itself). Live-plants.com's free guide's a pretty good general resource & Russ can sometimes provide you a small specimen of anything in it, even if it's not available on the main shopping page.

Yes, its in the sand but I too have maybe 1.5".

This is definitely not an easy macro but nice for a dt.

I'm not sure why but it seems in cda, macro isn't readily available besides chaeto which made a mess in the dt.

Ah, missed/didn't comprehend your locale earlier. Sorry.

Then my suggestion of liveplants.com isn't valid as a vendor (but the guide's still usefull)... I know they do not ship to Canada. Maybe look around for north-of-the-border reef groups to do hobbiest trades. Maybe one of them has smuggled or found a shipper. ;)

It's been a long term issue in Canada and not likely to change, there is only limited demand which doesn't give the stores a reason to bring it in often or at all, some species are just a pain in backside to even import so again not worth the effort for such small demand and some are only available seasonally.

The lack of suppliers and selection in Canada and people asking where to find selection, can be found on threads as far back as the early 2000's on other forums, so its a long term issue.

Basically have to try and find others who have some, and hope they will sell or ask a LFS to see if they can obtain some, and if they ever get the demand may order some in.

Yes, its in the sand but I too have maybe 1.5".
This is definitely not an easy macro but nice for a dt.

I'm not sure why but it seems in cda, macro isn't readily available besides chaeto which made a mess in the dt.

Ya, its definitely a permanent long term issue. I couldn't find any in 2007 when the hobby was popular.

Chaeto, thats all you see and not often.

Mystifying. Macroalgae is one of the few things a store can count on being able to grow out/propogate enough to make back their investment severalfold on.

Maybe ebay's a better source? http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Coral-Live-Rock/177797/i.html?_nkw=macro+algae Some of the hardier species should make it through most shipping methods.

I see a couple sellers (yes, most are US based) of not-chaetomorpha that look like they ship wordwide (or you can try buying from Ebay UK, but only some of the hardiest specimens would likely make it). Botroyocladia, gracilarias, codium & padinas are ones I have decent experience with shipping - they're nigh unkillable & can grow back from even small fragments while having little to no change of going to spore.

Ya, its definitely a permanent long term issue. I couldn't find any in 2007 when the hobby was popular.

Chaeto, thats all you see and not often.

J &L has some Mermaids Fans listed as of their last update on the 10th and some sort of red macro algae, but I am not sure if they can send them normal mail, so good chance it requires next day or 2 day service which means $$$ as you know...

I want some chaeto but at $25 for a small bag at the store, I am waiting for some to pop up on canreef that is local, a bit pricey in my opinion.

As for ebay, be cautious, chances are none of the sellers on ebay have the proper permits, and are doing it 100% legit. One reason macro algae is so hard to find in Canada is because its a bit of a pain to import.

^ exactly.

Have you tried Living Aquariums for chaeto?

Never heard of them, googling brings up a US company, do they do mail order? or have a website? I wasn't able to find a Canadian place by that name.

Archived