Innovative Marine Aquariums

Underrated Reef Fish

dpoltsdsu

My vote is the Tailspot Blenny. They are small, reef safe, eat algae, hardy, and their orange and blue marking look incredible under good lighting. They also have a ton of personality.

Orchid Dotty Backs-beautiful purple/violet color ....there like cats -they sneak up and play tag with fish with similar body types like my McCosser's Wrasse.

Orchid Dotty Backs-beautiful purple/violet color ....there like cats -they sneak up and play tag with fish with similar body types like my McCosser's Wrasse.

I have one of those in my tank in FL and it never comes out. Only time I see it is during feeding. It is beautiful, though.

Purple firefish- gorgeous fish with a great personality

Royal(bicolour) dotty - pretty, very smart, and always aware of its surroundings.

My vote is the Tailspot Blenny. They are small, reef safe, eat algae, hardy, and their orange and blue marking look incredible under good lighting. They also have a ton of personality.

tailspot is pretty popular though, especially in nano tanks =).

assessor basslets

would love one but man are they expensive...$60 usually here.

tailspot is pretty popular though, especially in nano tanks =).

would love one but man are they expensive...$60 usually here.

If you make to Milwaukee ever, check out Best Fish. They have them for $30. I may pick one up yet. Only thing holding me back is I am considering a wild caught one but those are $$$$ on Live Aquaria.

fishfreak0114

Talbot's damsel

Cheap, hardy, nice colours, relatively peaceful, active and eat like pigs. I have one in QT right now (with ich :( )

Valentini puffer and cockatoo waspfish. The Toby puffers are just neat fish. And my cockatoo is by far my favorite fish in my tank. Begs for food, eats like a pig, and always comes to check out what I'm doing anytime hands are in the tank.

Cencalfishguy56

Blue spotted puffer- always wanted one but haven't pulled the trigger, never really see them too much in a reef tank but I know it's possible

MainelyReefer

White spotted Pygmy filefish has been one of my favorites that's not to mainstream, although mine will demolish GSP when it's not fed

Do you own this fish? If so, have you had any issues with it mucnhing on coral or anything?

I do own a Radial Filefish, and to date no coral eating. It does like to hang out in a few of my Gorgonians as cover, and would also love to hang out in Anthelia as it does in the wild.

If you make to Milwaukee ever, check out Best Fish. They have them for $30. I may pick one up yet. Only thing holding me back is I am considering a wild caught one but those are $$$$ on Live Aquaria.

Why are wild caught ones better? I thought captive bred would be easier to care for?

Why are wild caught ones better? I thought captive bred would be easier to care for?

Brighter yellow, not sure if ORA dull color is just because they are juvies, nutritional, just differences among the fish or what. Some seem to color up, some don't.

Still, its good to support captive bred so I will probably try one and see if it colors up. Seems to take awhile though by peoples reports. The ones at the LFS definitely not even close as bright as the wild caught one I had years ago and they are large but size doesn't always dictate age. They have had them since Feb so they haven't colored up in 6 months but the tanks they are in are also unnatural compared to a regular DT so they are probably under stressors too.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970703

Archived