Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Whats the best way to trap/ catch aggressive cleaner shrimp?

John L

Hi all,

Im having trouble with my cleaner shrimp pestering my corals, pulling food out of my Acans mouths. I saw it savagely trying to pull my firefish out of his hole. I feed my tank every day or two with heavy feeds, including giving my shrimp loads, but he/she will go straight over the corals and never seems to get full up.

Ive tried netting it with a tasty lure, and grabbing it, but the little sod manages to get away,I'm worried il have a dead firefish on my hands soon.

If anyone has a trick or easy way of catching one, id be grateful to hear!

Cencalfishguy56

Hi all,

Im having trouble with my cleaner shrimp pestering my corals, pulling food out of my Acans mouths. I saw it savagely trying to pull my firefish out of his hole. I feed my tank every day or two with heavy feeds, including giving my shrimp loads, but he/she will go straight over the corals and never seems to get full up.

Ive tried netting it with a tasty lure, and grabbing it, but the little sod manages to get away,I'm worried il have a dead firefish on my hands soon.

If anyone has a trick or easy way of catching one, id be grateful to hear!

mines an asshole too, I just push him away from my BTAs and corals while I feed them, usually I give him pellets to keep him occupied for a bit

I have caught shrimp using the bottle trap method.

https://saltyunderground.com/category/trapping-peppermint-shrimp-etc

Thanks Tamberav, il give it a go. its very frustrating he's just there looking at me, knowing he can just dart into a crevice if i go for him... The shrimp has to i couldn't believe i was watching the tank and saw him literally yanking my firefish out of its hole.

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks Tamberav, il give it a go. its very frustrating he's just there looking at me, knowing he can just dart into a crevice if i go for him... The shrimp has to i couldn't believe i was watching the tank and saw him literally yanking my firefish out of its hole.

get a damselfish lol mine bullied the shit out of my cleaner shrimp, literally would take food away from his little forceps lmao

I haven't had this with cleaner shrimp but my peppermints were a bunch of s#$ts! Tore apart 3 brains, 2 died.

I had to trick mine into a net- it took my hubby and I to trick 2 shrimp.

You can try the bottle trap as well.

I haven't had this with cleaner shrimp but my peppermints were a bunch of s#$ts! Tore apart 3 brains, 2 died.

I had to trick mine into a net- it took my hubby and I to trick 2 shrimp.

You can try the bottle trap as well.

I almost got the little sod yesterday with a net and cube of mysis as lure. Ive made a bottle trap, will give it a go on the weekend fingerscrossed

• 3 months later...

Cleaner shrimp finally out, I had to strip my tank down so I could net him. It was amazing how much filthy sludgy gunk was underneath my rocks.

Archived