Top Shelf Aquatics

Adding all fish at once

lkoechle

With my next tank, I am thinking about ordering most of them off divers den. To save on shipping, I want to order most of them at once

I usually cycle my tanks with straight ammonia and dry rock. I figured for this to be successul, I would be dosing ammonia daily or almost daily (and longer than a nornal cycle) to build up the filtration enough to handle several additions at once.

How much/what measurement do you think should be added to do this? Would it be better to ghost feed instead?

I personally think ghost feeding would give me less control of know how much is going in.

What are your thoughts?

Ghost feeding for sure. I've thrown in skimmate and bacteria as well. Also I just personally like to wait 4 weeks after the cycle is complete just to give even more time for biological filtration to ramp up.

No input on ghost feeding, but having ordered all of my fish at once... I QT'd them first (however my "QT" was already running and cycled) while my display was getting cycled then I added them in increments just to make sure everything went well. Along with already well established LR and a ton of macro from my QT to be sure the bacteria could handle the new bioload... just in case.

Ghost feeding for sure. I've thrown in skimmate and bacteria as well. Also I just personally like to wait 4 weeks after the cycle is complete just to give even more time for biological filtration to ramp up.

I always say "lets wait an extra month just to be safe" ( which I actually will with this method) but usually I get like two weeks in on that extra month throw my hands in the air and say "Aaaand we're good!"

I am an impatient person in a patient built hobby. I am very proud of myself for always keeping that in check when it comes to my tanks. lol

Do you not have access to good live rock? Or you just like dry better?

Ghost feeding sounds like algae city to me.

Do you not have access to good live rock? Or you just like dry better?

Ghost feeding sounds like algae city to me.

I am a bit of control freak and also I love how pourous reefcleaners rock is. I have never found any lr at an lfs like it. All of my fish go nuts for all the hidey holes.

Oh yes, +1,000 for RC rock. I used mostly that rock with a few pieces of LR from LFS. It colored up quickly .

I just thought bacteria and coralline from established LR might be more effective than bottled

I would prob just set up a QT tank and add them slowly that way.

But the REAL question, how you going to get all your fish at once off Diver's Den? The selection is limited. Then again if all you want is a pair of clowns and a firefish, they are usually up there.

How many fish you planning to add at once? Adding 3 fish at once is different than say 6 fish.

I would prob just set up a QT tank and add them slowly that way.

But the REAL question, how you going to get all your fish at once off Diver's Den? The selection is limited. Then again if all you want is a pair of clowns and a firefish, they are usually up there.

How many fish you planning to add at once? Adding 3 fish at once is different than say 6 fish.

haha Probably 3 and yes 2, will be clowns. I've seen gold assesors on there pretty frequently and if its more than three, than its probably that trio plus a shrimp/goby pair.

haha Probably 3 and yes 2, will be clowns. I've seen gold assesors on there pretty frequently and if its more than three, than its probably that trio plus a shrimp/goby pair.

Yellow assesors are beautiful. The captive ones are dull colored but they are juvies. I am trying to figure out if they get as colorful as the wild ones when they age. Some say yes, others not such luck. So far the mystery is unsolved for me.

Yellow assesors are beautiful. The captive ones are dull colored but they are juvies. I am trying to figure out if they get as colorful as the wild ones when they age. Some say yes, others not such luck. So far the mystery is unsolved for me.

Yeah I was looking at ORAs versus wild. I want to buy captive. Buuuuuuut... :unsure: I'm hoping they color up. Clownfish can be really dull as juvies and develop really nice coloration later... and some just suck all their life...

Archived