Pod Your Reef

Stuck Blenny?

PaulP1002

I recently purchased a Starry Blenny and the first couple days he was swimming around. I noticed last night that I hadn't seen him at all, that evening. Today when I got home, I checked and didn't see him anywhere, I looked in one of the holes in my live rock and I think I found him. I'm worried that he may be stuck. There seems to be two holes, one looks smaller than a dime and the other maybe the size of a nickel. Should I assume everything is okay and wait it out, or is there something I can do?

Thanks Dylan. He came out so, we can close this thread. I was just worried, I purchased the blenny and a yellow tang this weekend and the yellow tang didn't make it (I think the blenny was attacking him) and I didn't want to lose two fish.

Thanks Dylan. He came out so, we can close this thread. I was just worried, I purchased the blenny and a yellow tang this weekend and the yellow tang didn't make it (I think the blenny was attacking him) and I didn't want to lose two fish.

That's a bummer. But I've never known blennies to be aggressive.

I thought it was strange too, but I saw the blenny snap several times at the tang. When i took the tang out, it had red marks on the side.

post-91732-0-33480800-1470707381_thumb.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

I thought it was strange too, but I saw the blenny snap several times at the tang. When i took the tang out, it had red marks on the side.

damn he got tore up!

Holy shit. That is one mean blenny.

I would say the tank isn't big enough. Starry's can be territorial (so can tangs). If it is your biocube, a 29g is no place for jerk fish.

Get some fish appropriate for a tank that size or you may end up losing $$ on fish. Certain fish need more space.

This is a good place to start: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

I would say the tank isn't big enough. Starry's can be territorial (so can tangs). If it is your biocube, a 29g is no place for jerk fish.

Get some fish appropriate for a tank that size or you may end up losing $$ on fish. Certain fish need more space.

This is a good place to start: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

That is great information. I wish my LFS would have shared that knowledge. Considering that I purchased both fish from them at the same time and they know what tank, I'm using.

That is great information. I wish my LFS would have shared that knowledge. Considering that I purchased both fish from them at the same time and they know what tank, I'm using.

It is hard to find a LFS you can trust, they like to make $.

I'm sorry they misled you. I would not trust them any more after this. Whenever you see a fish or coral that interests you just take a moment to google the name, there is usually great quick and dirty info available right away such as care requirements, tank sizes and all. Mandarin fish (for example) are so beautiful but many have killed them not knowing their feeding requirements.

Archived