Innovative Marine Aquariums

A problem I see with newbies

RayWhisperer

Nano sapiens

As a noob ill be big enough to admit that I'm a sucker for marketing! I see a nice looking advertisement on a box and I'm hooked!lol I bought a formalize bioactive skimmer for my ten gallon because people at my lfs said it was a must have so I bought one.in all honesty a good cleaning and water change once a week and it would be good without it,now I come on this forum and I get practical advice,and I've learned that not everyone that works at a lfs knows what their talking about.now I research EVERYTHING!

Good for you!

Nice post Ray. Well said.

I got into the hobby about 3 years ago and was starting to build a system. But I felt overwhelmed.

The plumbing, equipment, parameters, what livestock to select? So I ditched the build and bought a Biocube 14. Still have a brand new CAD Lights 50 in my garage!

Your post makes another good point on diving in and making mistakes. Cannot tell you how many times

I have heard different advice on the same issue in this hobby. After a while you just have to dive in and go with trial and error.

Thanks!

David

It can be overwhelming and there is a ton of info out there.

The problems arise from

1. Taking the word of another without backing it up with research.

Taking time to do thorough research(not just forums) is important. Understanding something makes it easier to have success.

2. What works for 1 may not work for another.

• Like 2

^ yup.

Its the "fast" route.

I like helping, giving advice, etc. but I will not do step by step instructions for most situations, why - because no one will learn anything by doing that.

To truly understand something, one must do the research thoroughly.

I also find some of the experienced aquarists provide info/help that the average person can't comprehend - where at the end of reading their responses, I myself think it "one must need a degree to get wth you're saying"

Lamens terms. The easier it is for another to understand, the better the succes for them.

No need to sound like a scientist to impart wisdom

• Like 2

I definitely think that researching is half of the fun. Admittedly though, after I have searched and searched and still can't find certain answers, or if I have a tank specific question, I will find a thread to ask the question in, or start one if one doesn't seem to exist. Most everything here though has been answered at one time or another and it just takes a simple search.

As a new person to this hobby, I will say that I did start very basic. Started with a 60 gal tank, canister filter, hang on back protein skimmer, and just pretty basic necessities, i.e., powerbeads, heater, rocks, sand, etc. I did get an RODI filter though since that seems to be a pretty necessary piece of equipment across the board in this hobby, and I do mix my own salt water.

Using this basic stuff, and doing constant research, I do know now what I want to do sometime in the future when I own a home instead of renting. There are still certain things I can understand the purpose of, but don't see as a necessity. There are several types of units out there that mainly just make things easier for us, which is a nice luxury for sure, but not one that has to be added. And there are plenty of those items that may not be a necessity, but personal preference for ease of certain tasks may lead you to adding them to your set up. Sorry if that sounds confusing. I was trying to make my point while being very vague since different people like to have different things lol.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

I also find some of the experienced aquarists provide info/help that the average person can't comprehend - where at the end of reading their responses, I myself think it "one must need a degree to get wth you're saying"

Lamens terms. The easier it is for another to understand, the better the succes for them.

No need to sound like a scientist to impart wisdom

I agree for many of the simpler concepts in reef keeping. However, there are concepts that can be very important that may be dificult to express in layman's terms. For example, 'advection' (as it relates to detrital material). When I first came across this term it was a head scratcher, but a simple Google search provided an answer and understanding.

When I encounter a more advanced article or dificult scientific paper I look at it as an opportunity to learn something new, content and vocabulary wise. I would say to anyone researching for answers don't be daunted by all the 'fancy' words as they are all comprehensible with just a bit of search effort.

• Like 3

Good post Ray.

FTFY. 1100 gph is a little much for a 10 gallon tank (bare minimum for a 100 gallon tank, alright for a 50 gallon non-SPS tank).

Don't count out high flow rates! I was running about 1000 gph in my 11 gallon!

Thank you both for your service (and any other vets seeing this), I volunteered 100s of hours at our VA. What an eye opener.

I just want to say I read just about this entire thread. At first I thought it was directed specifically at me and I'm alright with that. I haven't seen a single person disagree, and I don't disagree either, but I do want to point something out. I am now on my 3rd go ahead. Over the last 9-10 years I've only had freshwater. I always wanted to get back into the reef thing so I finally did. Went small this time, and I've had small tanks before. I am pretty sure I understand what most of us would consider all the major basics.

But the difference I saw when I came back in after 10 years is enormous. Lights, supplements, all kinds of equipment. Maybe I just didn't notice before because I was doing my best to KISS it because of money if nothing else. But there's just so much to consider it can be a little bewildering. And I think most people are just trying to do the best they can. They buy something after lots of research and then it turns out they its not doing what thy hoped it would and they're out $50 or whatever. It's kind of a bummer. So they ask about it and they get so many different opinions they don't know where to go with it.

It's nobody's fault, but there are so many choices. It's like that Asian fusion restraint that has 138 things on the menu when 20 would actually be better, but that's just not going to happen.

And none of that is all that helpful I guess, but it's just what I see. I'm not all that interested in being an expert, but I'm pretty sure of what I know. Oh the other hand I like to take a risk here and there. Any advice I've ever offered had either been something I'm 100% sure of or I clearly say "this is just my opinion / experience". Seems like the only way to be to me. It seems like some people don't get that, but a whole bunch of people on this thread have helped me here and there and I appreciate it. Keep it up, we all should appreciate it!

RayWhisperer

Well, I'm not going to reply to everyone.... However, I am going to reply to crawdad.

Let me be clear. This was directed at no one member, in particular. The only thread of yours I can remember reading/replying, is the 4 tank thread. I simply gave you my thoughts there.

However, there are concepts that can be very important that may be dificult to express in layman's terms.

"But I am studying this stuff, so I know it... you know... like... chinch bugs. You know... manganese. A lot of people don't even know what that is. Nitrogen..."

- Carl Spackler, Caddyshack (1980)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

wow this is tough love but really great advice...hit me between the eyes on some of your points.  thank you for this post (or bump as the case may be)!!!

Very well written post ... 

Kind of hanging my head in shame as I think of my media reactor gathering dust on my shelf.

Jesterrace
On 8/8/2016 at 1:46 PM, Water Dog said:

Recently saw someone give advice to a newbie seeking help and claim that they had no problem adding livestock right after adding bacteria in a bottle. Rewind a month or so earlier to the advice giver's cycle thread and they had lost both clowns they added (due to disease they claimed) yet had an ammonia spike the next day after adding the fish. :angry:

When giving advice, please be honest with your own experiences.

Agreed.  I have seen many people bragging about shortcutting the cycle with various wonder methods and I have yet to see anything to convince me that a standard cycle time period and patience isn't the best recipe for success.  The only true bonafide shortcut IMHO is adding established healthy live rock from another tank.  

• Like 1