Pod Your Reef

Help decide my next fish

OgreBC29

Ok so I need help picking my next fish purchase. The kids want something blue or majority blue. Thinking Starcki Damsel or some kind of Dwarf Angel but open to suggestions.

Tank: Standard 40 Breeder

Sump: 36x16x16 with dedicated 10x16x16 fuge

Skimmer: Eshopps S-120

BRS Dual Reactor

Current livestock

3 1/2 inch Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

2 Occelaris Clownfish

Clean Up Crew:

Mixture of Snails

Corals:

Rastas Zoa's

Orange Bam Bam's

Kenya

Pulsating Xenia

Nephthea

Frogspawn

Hammer

Neon Green Cabbage

GSP

Starkis get big and mean. If you plan to get other semi-aggressive fish later on, then go for it.

Hmm that lionfish is going to limit your choices of smaller fish, or else I'd recommend a Pygmy or Flameback Angel.

Most blue fish are small and would get eaten by your lion. You could get some large Chromis, or a large Red Head Fairy Wrasse

There's just not that many reef-safe blue fish out there

Oh, also I would avoid getting a blue tang since your kids will probably get attached and you won't be able to keep one in a 40g for a long period of time

I had a starkii and she was a pretty well behaved lady, she would stand up to herself when the mean clown/gramma tried to pick on her by opening her mouth and putting her fins up to look big. No chasing or biting though. Just a friendly reminder from Ms. Damsel that she wasn't no pushover.

It's a damsel though, so you never know. If you do one, maybe do it as the last fish to be safer.

Blue reef chromis are also a pretty blue and a peaceful option.

Maybe a size XL coral beauty?

Yeah they know tangs are not a option....

Have any experience/knowledge with a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish?

I have never seen a Blue Reef Chromis ( Chromis Cyaneus) all the LFS carries is the Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis Viridis).

Do you think I can do two or three of the Blue Reef Chromis?

Starkis get big and mean. If you plan to get other semi-aggressive fish later on, then go for it.

Hmm that lionfish is going to limit your choices of smaller fish, or else I'd recommend a Pygmy or Flameback Angel.

Most blue fish are small and would get eaten by your lion. You could get some large Chromis, or a large Red Head Fairy Wrasse

There's just not that many reef-safe blue fish out there

Oh, also I would avoid getting a blue tang since your kids will probably get attached and you won't be able to keep one in a 40g for a long period of time

That is a very pretty wrasse though I love the coloration on it. Might have to look into that one as well.

Archived