Top Shelf Aquatics

Best way to run GFO in my nuvo 10?

CuhRazy

Whats the best way to run GFO in my nuvo 10 nano tank?. I read just putting it in a media bag won't work the media will clump and water goes around it. Is it best to find a small reactor ? If so I'm not sure if I have room to throw a pump in the back chamber. My phosphate is .08 PPM right now using a hanna meter. I need to get it down.

MainelyReefer

I would say the IM minimax reactor would be the best way to run GFO, I fit both the IM desktop size reactor and the ghost protien skimmer in my Nuvo10 and still have the custom caddy with filter floss and a mini refugium, I currently run Rowaphos and have had good results

• 2 weeks later...

IM desktop will work great.. I mix GFO and Carbon all together, clamp it tight, and turn up the pump to force water thru.

works awesome..

chemipure in the back is also a "second best" option.. but check the tank size for recomendation

Brightwell Xport-PO4 are small cubes of porous media impregnated with GFO. It does not require a reactor, and the porous material hosts beneficial bacteria to boot. I have like 7 cubes in my system in a mesh bag just sitting in the pump chamber of my sump. I have been using it since June and have recommended it to others.They too have had success with it.

• Like 3

1) Go to the dollar store, buy a pair of pantyhose

2) Mix carbon/gfo together

3) Put a cup in the leg of pantyhose, cut it, tie it off

4) Throw in rear chamber

Been mixing brs gfo/carbon for a while and never have it clump up. Usually eyeball about a 4:1 ratio carbon:gfo.

Of course, a reactor is better as it forces a certain GPH of water through the media. I used to run a BRS reactor but that always got clogged and really became a giant pain. Not sure about the IM desktop reactors, have come close to buying one a few times.

• 11 months later...
On 8/7/2016 at 7:08 PM, GraniteReefer said:

I would say the IM minimax reactor would be the best way to run GFO, I fit both the IM desktop size reactor and the ghost protien skimmer in my Nuvo10 and still have the custom caddy with filter floss and a mini refugium, I currently run Rowaphos and have had good results

How did you fit them both? I have Im ghost skimmer and I want the reactor too but i have tunze ATO

+1 Metrokat!

I tried this stuff, it worked so I sold my reactor. I didn't see any reason to have another piece of equipment making noise and an extra pump, ect. when I can use PO4 remover without it.

MainelyReefer

Being in the water filtration business I can tell you the Reactors benefits are all about flow rates through the media, exposure time to said media, media bed depth, ability to alter said media based on different needs, so I disagree with the block of absorption media being superior as the block of media others use certainly doesn't have water flowing through as efficiently, nor could you potentially alter the flow rate to suit certain parameters for different medias with a block.  A reactor has its benefits.  In the back of my IM 10 the order of parts was filter floss media rack/refugium in chamber one, chamber 2 skimmer, chamber three return pump, ATO, Reactor, heater.  This has worked with either my home made ATO and the smart micro ATO.  I think the Tunze ATO isn't that small right?  It will all fit 100% just maybe a different ATO

I will not argue that is is more effective, just that I did not need more efficiency. The Xport-Po4 keeps my phosphate at 0.02 and I don't want it any lower so a reactor isn't needed in my tank. My reactor kept it low as well but it was just another pump and part to maintain so I ditched it. 

However, the OP did ask the BEST way... :) but if they can't fit a pump back there, a media bag full is worth a shot too.

Five.five-six

I had a Po4 problem in my 29 biocube and didn't want to dick with a fluidized bed. I just put a bag of GFO in the top of my media basket and physically turned it on my way out the door and when I came home for a week or so.  No more Po4.   

Mckinney0171

I use a chemi pure elite pouch and a media bag with high capacity BRS GFO, ROX carbon, and purigen mixed in.  I have never had a PO4 issue in mine.