Top Shelf Aquatics

Question for You Apartment Renters

Nick Kohrn

Kellie in CA

I wonder how they determine that. I mean the Lagoon is considered 25 gallons, however... when filled I doubt you would use more than 20 actual gallons of water.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call your insurance company to ensure that you are covered with aquarium damage. The paperwork they send is confusing and doesn't answer specific questions/concerns.

@OP i was concerned with how much weight the floor could hold...

i stay in a 3 story apartment/condo. i almost went with a 125g (73 x 19 x 24) system initially and my determined location for the tank was on the second floor. i had a perfect 8 foot wall that would have fit the tank very nicely, but everything went out the window when i stared to factor in total weight. i ended up getting an ADA 75p (42g) after finding a weight load i was "comfortable" with.

i used this PDF as a reference to calculate my load.

you can call and ask the apartment where the load beams fall (i think they will always give out this information for free unless they think you're going to blow the place up lol)

Regional differences I guess.

Ever apartment I have lived in without one, requires permission.

It really comes down to the cost of water/hydro for all inclusive buildings(not many of those left in Ontario) then theres the plumbing and possible water damage.

I live in Toronto, my dad owns a penthouse condo. I dont think our building has set rules but insurance purposes my dad only let me have a Fusion 25 and a 20 gallon FT. So two AIOs and no sumps.

Oh ya, Condo rules vary building to building too.

My aunt can't have anything considered a pet in hers.

I think thats bs- you own the unit!!

Owning in a condo can be a complete nightmare that makes renting look fun...

Oh ya, Condo rules vary building to building too.
My aunt can't have anything considered a pet in hers.

I think thats bs- you own the unit!!

Kellie in CA

I currently am renting a condo. This place has more rules than any other place I have ever lived. Not from the owners of the unit either, they are very laid back. It's the association, they dictate everything from the cable company to the plumber we are allowed to use.

devonmessick

We live in a high rise apartment that is concrete construction on the 11 floor. We were told that a 20g was the largest tank we could have. We went with a 14g BioCube just to be on the safe side. It is our first saltwater tank and thought we would start out small. We read though our lease and talked to the leasing office and they said it was fine to have more than one tank but each tank itself could not be more than 20g.

I didn't ask when I moved in. Wasn't in the rental agreement either. I'm in a 6 unit building so maybe its different in the bigger buildings. The landlord has seen my tank too and said nothing.

I can't imagine floors not holding tanks around 20g. If a floor can't hold a 20g, I would not be living there! The floors should be structurally much stronger than that.

This was a good read before I set up my 75g with 40g sump on 2nd floor :o

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

We live in a high rise apartment that is concrete construction on the 11 floor. We were told that a 20g was the largest tank we could have. We went with a 14g BioCube just to be on the safe side. It is our first saltwater tank and thought we would start out small. We read though our lease and talked to the leasing office and they said it was fine to have more than one tank but each tank itself could not be more than 20g.

devonmessick

I can't imagine floors not holding tanks around 20g. If a floor can't hold a 20g, I would not be living there! The floors should be structurally much stronger than that.

This was a good read before I set up my 75g with 40g sump on 2nd floor :o

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

The complex is more worried about the damage the water can do if something were to happen, not as much as the weight of the tank. 75g of water could do a lot of damage to the apartment/surrounding apartments.

The complex is more worried about the damage the water can do if something were to happen, not as much as the weight of the tank. 75g of water could do a lot of damage to the apartment/surrounding apartments.

Very true. I was worried about that too. I ended up installing a DIY leak detector and a nest camera I can access from my phone. Definitely relieved a lot of stress when I am away. I don't think I could have left the house without it. The nest camera is good for spying on cats too, ha!

I have a small security camera in the living room as we live in a bad area and so want anyone who does break in to at least be on video, but it also shows the tank and I on occasion do check on it when away as I worry about things, then realized, what the heck am am I going to do if something was wrong...lol

Very true. I was worried about that too. I ended up installing a DIY leak detector and a nest camera I can access from my phone. Definitely relieved a lot of stress when I am away. I don't think I could have left the house without it. The nest camera is good for spying on cats too, ha!

I have a small security camera in the living room as we live in a bad area and so want anyone who does break in to at least be on video, but it also shows the tank and I on occasion do check on it when away as I worry about things, then realized, what the heck am am I going to do if something was wrong...lol

Lol! When I left for vacation, I hid a key outside so the reefers on the local forums could come take care of it if something crazy happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a worry wart too. Constantly concerned about leaks/bursts. Never worried before the internet- had a 20g on a cheap desk. Lol.

I think your methods on spying on cats and tanks is great

It really just comes down to the landlord(s) call. My place is NO PETS! That includes a fish tank no matter what the size. Its a bummer when you have a tank sitting in the room already begging to be filled. Im on the look out for a house personally. ?

It really just comes down to the landlord(s) call. My place is NO PETS! That includes a fish tank no matter what the size. Its a bummer when you have a tank sitting in the room already begging to be filled. Im on the look out for a house personally.

So just have a reef only tank and don't put any fish in it and then you wont have a "Fish tank" and then he can't say you have pets!!

So just have a reef only tank and don't put any fish in it and then you wont have a "Fish tank" and then he can't say you have pets!!

^ the tank filled with water can be enough for some landlords and leases. Its water damage they are concerned about and it is a legitimate concern...water damage in apartments effects multiple units and costs $$$$ to properly treat the effected area to prevent health issues like mold exposure.

If its the fault of the tenant- they can charge you for all repairs.

Its actually against the tenant law here to not allow pets in rentals but it happens due to loop holes in the laws.

^ the tank filled with water can be enough for some landlords and leases. Its water damage they are concerned about and it is a legitimate concern...water damage in apartments effects multiple units and costs $$$$ to properly treat the effected area to prevent health issues like mold exposure.

If its the fault of the tenant- they can charge you for all repairs.

Its actually against the tenant law here to not allow pets in rentals but it happens due to loop holes in the laws.

When I responded to the post about not allowing a "fishtank of any size", I was referring to a manager who would not even allow a pico reef (1 to 5 gal). This person couldn't be concerned about flooding from a 3 gal Picotope. If I was the tenant, I'd start a reef in a 1/2 gal vase and keep it next to another vase with cut flowers in it and watch my landlord try to evict me for that.

And BTW, Ive been an apt dweller for 23 years now and haven't personally heard of flooding from an aquarium but have seen many floods caused by broken water pipes and stuck toilets.

I wonder if a vase would fall under the no water filled containers, appliances or furniture permitted section of some leases.

Unless one lives in a tenant friendly jurisdictions best not to tick off a landlord, I am in a landlord friendly jurisdiction and its pretty simple to evict someone if a landlord desires. Lots of loopholes.

The apartment I'm in never gave me a size limit. As long as I have renters insurance they don't bother me. I have 2 25g's, a 40B, and a 14g.

I wonder if a vase would fall under the no water filled containers, appliances or furniture permitted section of some leases.

Unless one lives in a tenant friendly jurisdictions best not to tick off a landlord, I am in a landlord friendly jurisdiction and its pretty simple to evict someone if a landlord desires. Lots of loopholes.

In that case a manager could evict you for having bottled drinking water because they are "water filled containers". No apt manager is gonna intimidate this guy!!

Archived