Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question for You Apartment Renters

Nick Kohrn

I'm currently trying to decide on my future setup, and I know that we will be renting an apartment when I transition to the tank.

I'm wondering what, if any, restrictions you have been given by your landlords regarding the size of the tank or any other relevant information.

Since we are not sure where we will end up I don't really know what to decide on. I have emailed a few apartment complexes for generalizations but haven't received any responses yet.

I really appreciate your time and help!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mitten_reef

The general information you might want the landlord to be aware of would be mainly the size of your prospective system, as well as making it clear to them how heavy your tank can get - which translates to the weight on their structure).

Think of it this way, the bigger, newer, concrete/steel structure building you'll probably run into little to no resistance from the landlord. Any older or wood-structure apartment or single rental home, I'd ask for a tour and check out the place to see if the floor can handle the tank you wish to have.

A few places that I've rented had been generally OK with anything 20-30 gallons or under.

That really all depends on your landlord overall, but I think it'd be good that you and your landlord have some understanding on the tank size.

The general information you might want the landlord to be aware of would be mainly the size of your prospective system, as well as making it clear to them how heavy your tank can get - which translates to the weight on their structure).

Think of it this way, the bigger, newer, concrete/steel structure building you'll probably run into little to no resistance from the landlord. Any older or wood-structure apartment or single rental home, I'd ask for a tour and check out the place to see if the floor can handle the tank you wish to have.

A few places that I've rented had been generally OK with anything 20-30 gallons or under.

That really all depends on your landlord overall, but I think it'd be good that you and your landlord have some understanding on the tank size.

Thanks for your insight! I currently have a 10g frag tank, and I'm looking at a Red Sea Reefer Nano (28g) so hopefully it won't be an issue. I don't want a big tank until my wife and I are ready to buy a house.

squamptonbc

The size will be the deal breaker for most landlords, now what size they will accept will all depends on the landlord. My current landlord wont allow anything over 15 gallons but does allow me 2 have more then 1 tank, but he was dead against one single tank over 15 gallons, last landlord allowed up to 20 gallons.

Around my parts anything over 20 gallons would be hard to find an apartment, and aquariums are not well liked by landlords so its pretty hard to even find a landlord willing to allow aquariums, but the smaller the better.

I also have to maintain renters insurance which I do, but it questionable if they would cover a failure of an aquarium, but it keeps the landlord happy.

Kellie in CA

I haven't had any issues, but I've never done anything more than 25 gallons. Also, I prefer being on the ground floor because if anything goes wrong you don't have to deal with damage to the downstairs neighbors.

I would definitely get it approved beforehand, many of my landlords have done yearly inspections, so it's not like you can hide it.

tanacharison

Ive had plenty say no but if you already have a apex I showed off how many alarms and how much control i have while away and it made some change.

OMG, this is a tempest in a teapot. First of all, I've been an apartment dweller since 1991 and move a lot. I'm rarely in one place more than 2 or 3 years and I've never, ever seen a lease form that even mentions anything about aquariums. Sure, they mention pets but an aquarium is not considered a pet but rather part of the décor. No ones ever asked me if I have a tank and I never mention it (don't ask, don't tell). Sure, if someone ever asks me if I do aquariums or if it's on an application I will be totally honest, but it's never come up.

I use a lot of common sense in that I never do more than 20 gals and I don't locate it near a window which would advertise it. I always carry enough renters insurance to protect me. Wherever I live, maintenance comes in periodically to do repairs, updates, and do yearly smoke alarm inspections and they don't even seem to notice the tank.

If and when any management ever approaches me about having a tank, i'll be totally honest with them and try to sell the safety and sturdiness of it as well as make sure they know about my insurance. I think that as long as you don't lie about the tank up front or deny it if any application asks about aquariums, you're fine.

If the application asks "do you have any pets" A fish in a 20 gal tank is no more a pet than a Beta in a cup of water..

I'm currently trying to decide on my future setup, and I know that we will be renting an apartment when I transition to the tank.

I'm wondering what, if any, restrictions you have been given by your landlords regarding the size of the tank or any other relevant information.

Since we are not sure where we will end up I don't really know what to decide on. I have emailed a few apartment complexes for generalizations but haven't received any responses yet.

I really appreciate your time and help!

My last apt was no more than a 10g tank, however, if you had renters insurance, there was no restriction. I was naughty and set up a bunch of tanks anyways, the owner and maintenance didn't care (the owner didn't manage the property, he paid another company to do so). So it never became an issue.

My current apartment says no water filled furniture in the lease (so no aquariums and water beds) but I asked them about setting up a 75g tank (and a few small ones), and I pointed out it was a brand new tank on a solid wood stand with a leak detector and their response was "sounds like you know what you are doing, that would be okay". So I now basically have a 4 tanks, one being a 75g in a place I wasn't allowed to have any ;)

I also let them know an aquarium leak is something I would not want just as much as them, I have 100's, 1000's! of dollars invested and take all the precautions.

In my experience, most rental places are willing to work with you if you present yourself right. Remember, in their eyes they probably imagine the worst scenario, a garage sale special tank from the 1990's sitting on a particle board Walmart book shelf. It is the same with any other pet, places say no pets because they imagine someone who lets their dog piss everywhere.

My experience is opposite of avaiator's, almost every lease has had a clause about aquariums or water filled furniture. I would read the lease carefully.

squamptonbc

That is my experience with leases, there has always been a clause about liquid filled furniture, appliances, or container, and then in the pet section, fish are always specifically mentioned requiring authorization.

My current leases says, "tenant shall bring in no furniture, appliance or other container that can be considered liquid filled without consent of landlord. ( I am ground floor so he allows aquariums as general practice on ground floor, no negotiation needed.)On the same lease is a page granting permission.

further down the lease under the pets category, they specifically mention fish along with reptiles, dogs, birds, rodents, farm animals, cats, other exotic and domesticated animals, and any animal requiring food are not permitted unless authorized and another form attached.

My last apt was no more than a 10g tank, however, if you had renters insurance, there was no restriction. I was naughty and set up a bunch of tanks anyways, the owner and maintenance didn't care (the owner didn't manage the property, he paid another company to do so). So it never became an issue.

My current apartment says no water filled furniture in the lease (so no aquariums and water beds) but I asked them about setting up a 75g tank (and a few small ones), and I pointed out it was a brand new tank on a solid wood stand with a leak detector and their response was "sounds like you know what you are doing, that would be okay". So I now basically have a 4 tanks, one being a 75g in a place I wasn't allowed to have any ;)

I also let them know an aquarium leak is something I would not want just as much as them, I have 100's, 1000's! of dollars invested and take all the precautions.

In my experience, most rental places are willing to work with you if you present yourself right. Remember, in their eyes they probably imagine the worst scenario, a garage sale special tank from the 1990's sitting on a particle board Walmart book shelf. It is the same with any other pet, places say no pets because they imagine someone who lets their dog piss everywhere.

My experience is opposite of avaiator's, almost every lease has had a clause about aquariums or water filled furniture. I would read the lease carefully.

Aquariums are considered decor. Just tell them you have an aquarium and they will let you know right then if you will have to pay an additional deposit and if there is a size restriction. Every time I asked, they would chuckle and say Aquariums aren't considered pets and they are fine to have. Since I can remember I have never had a size restriction.

Just use common sense when selecting size based on which floor you are on. It is best to get an apartment on the first floor to give you a larger range for tank size. It is also easier to move the tank.

Thanks so much for all of your insight and advice! I will likely pick up a Reefer Nano (28g) and just keep searching for apartments that will allow me to keep it.

You have all been a big help in my decision!

I got pretty lucky with our apartment, our building is solid concrete and the floors are a 6" slab of reinforced concrete. I asked them about aquarium size restrictions and they said well you can have a water bed so any tank probably shouldn't be an issue, well then I mention a 180 and then they said it's fine but, I realized I didn't want to carry it up a flight of stairs. Our apartment actually requires renters insurance anyways just to sign the lease so it wasn't a big deal. I'd definitely hold off until you decide on a place.

squamptonbc

The whole aquarium is decor thing, but be a US definition, I know out west here, you would not win a tenancy issue by claiming an aquarium was decor, well maybe if empty and not filled with anything you could.

It all depends on the lease. If the lease says no pets-an aquarium is included in that.

Individuals with disabilities may use service animals and emotional support animals for a variety of reasons. This guide provides an overview of how major Federal civil rights laws govern the rights of a person requiring a service animal. These laws, as well as instructions on how to file a complaint, are listed in the last section of this publication. Many states also have laws that provide a different definition of service animal. You should check your states law and follow the law that offers the most protection for service animals. The document discusses service animals in a number of different settings as the rules and allowances related to access with service animals will vary according to the law applied and the setting.

https://adata.org/sites/adata.org/files/files/Service_Animal_Booklet_2014(2).pdf

If the landlord wants to be petty, be petty back...

You are welcome.

Kellie in CA

I'm curious if any of you were told by your renters insurance company that aquarium issues would be covered? Mine said no, that damages would fall under the landlords property policy.

Luckily, I've never had an aquarium fail, but I do worry about it.

Well here, if the apartment doesn't have a washer/dryer in it- your lease indicates you require written permission from a landlord prior to adding them in your unit.

Most ppl don't read their leases, think its a guideline, that breaking the "rules" is no biggy.

Its a legal binding contract and once signed, you need to comply with it or the landlord can take legal action, including eviction and bad referance.

squamptonbc

I'm curious if any of you were told by your renters insurance company that aquarium issues would be covered? Mine said no, that damages would fall under the landlords property policy.

Luckily, I've never had an aquarium fail, but I do worry about it.

I can't get a straight yes or no answer from the insurance company or even other companies I have called, but for my policy water related issues are covered unless it falls under the exclusions in the policy, which there are so many, I am sure the insurance company could find a number of ways to not cover.

Your Policy does not insure loss or damage directly or indirectly: (a) caused by flood, ground water or rising of the water table, waves, tidal waves, high water, tsunamis, ice or waterborne objects whether or not they can be attributed to earthquake;

(caused by gradual, continuous or repeated seepage, condensation, or leakage of water or steam over a period of time;

© caused by surface water, unless the surface water is a result of the sudden and accidental escape of water from a water main, swimming pool or hot tub, but you are not insured for damage to the water main itself;

(d) caused by water that occurs when your Premises is Vacant, even if you have advised the Insurer that it is Vacant;

(e) caused by freezing of a plumbing, heating, or cooling system or an appliance that uses or holds water unless: (1) the loss or damage occurs within a heated portion of a Building or Detached Structure insured under this Policy; and (2) while you or your tenants are away from the Premises for more than seven (7) consecutive days for any reason other than receiving emergency medical treatment, you or your tenant:

shut off the water supply and drain both the plumbing system and any appliances that use or hold water; or (ii) make arrangements to ensure the heat is maintained at an acceptable level;

(f) caused by freezing, thawing, pressure or weight of water or ice, whether driven by wind or not, to fence, pavement, patio, swimming pool and equipment, foundation, retaining wall, bulkhead, pier, wharf, dock or bridge

squamptonbc

Now that's something I have never seen in a rental agreement, a prohibition against washing machines, there is always the yes or no if laundry is included, but never any clause about having to ask to have one, and looking at the lease form 99% of the landlords use (gov't one) it too mentions nothing about washers....

Well here, if the apartment doesn't have a washer/dryer in it- your lease indicates you require written permission from a landlord prior to adding them in your unit.

Most ppl don't read their leases, think its a guideline, that breaking the "rules" is no biggy.

Its a legal binding contract and once signed, you need to comply with it or the landlord can take legal action, including eviction and bad referance.

Ever apartment I have lived in without one, requires permission.

It really comes down to the cost of water/hydro for all inclusive buildings(not many of those left in Ontario) then theres the plumbing and possible water damage.

Depends on the location,

Luckily where I live, I don't have to pay for water as it is included in the monthly rent. But I am on the second story have a 20L for my reef. and a 5.5Gal for the Betta. My neighbor downstairs has a 65Gal reef. Now granted the apartments I live in is technically a 4-plex that is independently owned, but the landlord is cool with pets. Really just gonna be hit and miss. When I lived in California (Orange County area) I think it varied by complex but the max was like 30Gal.

I have heard back from a couple of apartment complexes and their maximums have been 20 gallons or less. We will just keep looking to get a better idea of what others allow.

Archived