Top Shelf Aquatics

Anyone Know How To Save A Dying Green Star Polyp

Darrix

I obtained a dying green star polyp for free, and want to save it. As there are only like 5 heads left, The tank's salinity is 1.026 and has a blooming torch coral, which makes me think that lighting is fine, I put in a place with low flow, as well as have medium lighting. Any one know what would help me save this dying coral anything would help, thanks.

Give it good water quality and proper lighting and it should come around. Corals seem to have an amazing recovery once proper living conditions are met.

ReefSafeSolutions

Before my torches died on me, they nuked some GSP. I changed the flow direction one day, and after a few weeks I saw GSP popping up where the torch nuked it.

I agree with the above, give it a good home and it'll likely come back around. If it doesn't, you can probably find some more free GSP locally...stuff grows like weeds in some tanks!

I didn't know you could kill green star polyp.

Well the old owner said Mr. Puffer had a little snack...

Give it good water quality and proper lighting and it should come around. Corals seem to have an amazing recovery once proper living conditions are met.

Before my torches died on me, they nuked some GSP. I changed the flow direction one day, and after a few weeks I saw GSP popping up where the torch nuked it.

I agree with the above, give it a good home and it'll likely come back around. If it doesn't, you can probably find some more free GSP locally...stuff grows like weeds in some tank

I added pH buffer to raise the pH in the tank because the parameters were good except pH, and when I came back my torch looked like it was dying, is this normal? pH 7.8 trying to get to 8.1

ReefSafeSolutions

I added pH buffer to raise the pH in the tank because the parameters were good except pH, and when I came back my torch looked like it was dying, is this normal? pH 7.8 trying to get to 8.1

I literally did the same exact thing. I started trying to raise my pH and dosed a pH buffer for a week. Killed off all my Euphyllia. They all started not coming out during the day and looked all sucked in. I have a few Euphyllia that are still "living" but they don't open up. I can see the flesh but I'm pretty sure they're all toast.

Chances are good the pH buffer is throwing off the rest of your water chemistry. If everything else looks good and the pH is a little low but the corals all look happy, don't even bother with the pH.

I'd suggest doing a water change and quit worrying about the pH before your torch dies!

I literally did the same exact thing. I started trying to raise my pH and dosed a pH buffer for a week. Killed off all my Euphyllia. They all started not coming out during the day and looked all sucked in. I have a few Euphyllia that are still "living" but they don't open up. I can see the flesh but I'm pretty sure they're all toast.

Chances are good the pH buffer is throwing off the rest of your water chemistry. If everything else looks good and the pH is a little low but the corals all look happy, don't even bother with the pH.

I'd suggest doing a water change and quit worrying about the pH before your torch dies!

Thanks! Does pH help long term? Or does it not matter?

ReefSafeSolutions

I'm far from an expert on pH, but I don't suspect that long term it would have any major impacts, unless it was below 7.8 or above 8.4. As long as you're within the 7.8-8.4 range, as I understand it, the corals can better function as they need to. Lots of people say that pH swings throughout the day/night, so I think it also depends on when you test pH. Granted, I don't have any evidence of pH swings, since I don't spend all day testing pH :lol:

There's a Bulk Reef Supply video about pH in their 52 week 160 gallon series...let me see if I can find it real quick.

EDIT: I *think* this is the video:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-30-kalkwasser-all-in-one-calcium-alkalinity-ph-supplement/

I'm far from an expert on pH, but I don't suspect that long term it would have any major impacts, unless it was below 7.8 or above 8.4. As long as you're within the 7.8-8.4 range, as I understand it, the corals can better function as they need to. Lots of people say that pH swings throughout the day/night, so I think it also depends on when you test pH. Granted, I don't have any evidence of pH swings, since I don't spend all day testing pH :lol:

There's a Bulk Reef Supply video about pH in their 52 week 160 gallon series...let me see if I can find it real quick.

EDIT: I *think* this is the video:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-30-kalkwasser-all-in-one-calcium-alkalinity-ph-supplement/

Thanks, I saw most BRS videos but then I dont have time to sit through hundreds of 20 minute long videos...

Well the old owner said Mr. Puffer had a little snack...

You NEVER add pH buffer. (okay maybe if you needed to raise alk, but you don't add buffer to change the pH).

7.8 is fine, pH buffer causes swings and can kill coral. Leave the pH as is. it will be whatever it will be.

Adding pH buffer also raises your alk and messes with your other parameters since alk/calcium/magnesium are all linked. Plus the pH will drop again because its based on the Co2 in your house. So literally pH buffer does nothing to change pH permanently and kills things.

Test your alk right now, the pH buffer may have sent it skyrocking depending how much you added.

You NEVER add pH buffer. (okay maybe if you needed to raise alk, but you don't add buffer to change the pH).

7.8 is fine, pH buffer causes swings and can kill coral. Leave the pH as is. it will be whatever it will be.

Adding pH buffer also raises your alk and messes with your other parameters since alk/calcium/magnesium are all linked. Plus the pH will drop again because its based on the Co2 in your house. So literally pH buffer does nothing to change pH permanently and kills things.

Test your alk right now, the pH buffer may have sent it skyrocking depending how much you added.

Thanks I tested Alkalnity it is fine still but thanks for the info

Archived