ReefCleaners.org

advice for new powerhead in shallow tank

grafxalien

after moving and having the new tank running for around 6 weeks I have started to look at new powerheads. I have a deep blue rimless 34 gal which is 36x18x12. I am currently using a nyos 3.0 return pump set at ~ 1/2 and an old maxijet with a spinstream connected to it. The maxijet was planned as a temporary solution so it is about time for it to come out. I have always thought I would just buy a mp10qd, but the more I read about it the more I get concerned about placement in a shallow tank. The tank is only 12" high which means there is only ~9-10" of water above the sand line.

What does everyone think? Will a mp10 suck too much air/make a sand storm? What else should I look at? I was looking at the gyre as well but I think it will just look way to big in the tank.

I'd consider two powerheads (one on each side). They could be MP10s, but that would be a little pricey. I don't think you'll be able to crank up an MP10 very high in that shallow of a tank.

Here's one of my old tanks running an MP10. It was 2' long, with probably less than 8" of water.
contest_final_large.jpg
I had to keep the flow pretty low. I'm not sure how strong the flow would be on the other side of a 3' long tank.

Would the smaller gyre also cause a sandstorm? I think I could justify having the larger gyre in the tank over 2 smaller mp10s

In my 40G breeder I run 2x MP10 @ 80% and it's fine. I'm barebottom tho.. but I guess i'd just shut them a little if there was sand and it'd be fine !

Archived