Top Shelf Aquatics

Introducing new clownfish with existing clownfish

timmyliauw

I have ocellaris clownfish about 4 months old with me. I purchased another fish last thursday because the last male fish committed suicide by jumping out of the tank in the middle of the night.It has been 5 nights and 4 days. Someone told me that color of clownfish is sick because it lack of nutrition. So I panicked and I tried to return it to the lfs. They refused it because they said the fish looks healthy and the color is normal since it is baby ocellaris. 2 other person said that color of clownfish is normal because he was stressing out due to new environment. So I tossed back to the tank right after I return from lfs. Now I want to know whether that color is normal. Is that color normal for ocellaris clownfish? How do I make him eat? because I notice that my existing clownfish doesn't allow him to eat. Should I return it or leave them alone? How do i lessen the aggressiveness of the clownfish? I have tried to feed him every day until he eat but so far it doesn't work. Should I just follow my feeding schedule? What should I do? I have 25 gallon reef tank. I haven't tested my nitrate or phosphate yet but for sure, the water quality may be little bit because I was trying to make him by adding couple extra pellets and mysis shrimp. Nothing work. I'm stressing out and have been in the hobby for 6 months. Please help!!!!

post-91171-0-67643300-1470109262_thumb.jpg

It is hard to see in the picture but clownfish can change colors/shades when stressed and they can come in varying hues from yellow to an almost orange/red.

Signs of disease would be mucus, discoloration, white dots (looks like salt), possibly tattered fins and inflamed/red gills, scratching, and stringy white poop.

Sometimes my new clowns wouldn't eat right away. Even a clown I had 3 or 4 years stopped eating for a week after I moved to another apartment. She was in a new tank and it stressed her out. From LFS > your tank > LFS > your tank was probably scary for him.

You can add garlic juice to his food, this sometimes entices fish to eat. Also try new foods, sometimes brine shrimp gets them eating and then you can transition to mysis. If the female is chasing him or preventing him from eating, you could also seperate them using a large breeder net or a separate tank just to get him eating.

Internal parasites can also cause clowns to stop eating, prazipro is really helpful for this.

I have ocellaris clownfish about 4 months old with me. I purchased another fish last thursday because the last male fish committed suicide by jumping out of the tank in the middle of the night.It has been 5 nights and 4 days. Someone told me that color of clownfish is sick because it lack of nutrition. So I panicked and I tried to return it to the lfs. They refused it because they said the fish looks healthy and the color is normal since it is baby ocellaris. 2 other person said that color of clownfish is normal because he was stressing out due to new environment. So I tossed back to the tank right after I return from lfs. Now I want to know whether that color is normal. Is that color normal for ocellaris clownfish? How do I make him eat? because I notice that my existing clownfish doesn't allow him to eat. Should I return it or leave them alone? How do i lessen the aggressiveness of the clownfish? I have tried to feed him every day until he eat but so far it doesn't work. Should I just follow my feeding schedule? What should I do? I have 25 gallon reef tank. I haven't tested my nitrate or phosphate yet but for sure, the water quality may be little bit because I was trying to make him by adding couple extra pellets and mysis shrimp. Nothing work. I'm stressing out and have been in the hobby for 6 months. Please help!!!!

Archived