ReefCleaners.org

Filter Media for 25 Lagoon with inTank baskets

Dunlager

So I am currently running a media basket with filter floss and chem pure elite packets x2. I also have just a filter floss basket as well.

I recently added a protein skimmer and a media reactor running carbon and GFO. I don't believe I need to run chem pure as well with the new equipment.

I'm thinking about adding marineland bioballs under the filter floss in the bottom two chambers of the basket.

Does anyone have any thoughts one way or another on this idea? I really love the media baskets and want to keep them filled with something useful that is not overkill.

Thanks,

Bill

Elizabeth94

Depends on your parameters. If you have phosphates, use media that will help with that. Don't use chemical media if you do not need it. However, one media I usually run regardless of my water is carbon. I have always ran carbon in all of my tanks.

+1 on what Elizerbety said, particularly about activated carbon.

Your title says 25G lagoon. I assume you have macro in your lagoon. They would use phosphates and nitrates. I see little point in bioballs for nitrification biology. Use filter floss in your media baskets until you need chemical filtration.

No macro in the lagoon, I was just referencing the IM 25 Gallon Lagoon tank model.

The Marine Pure Balls are pretty much pores ceramic balls that act as another source of biological filtration, sort of like small versions of live rock. They are completely inert and don't provide any chemical filtration. As long as your pre-filter the water with floss, they should not collect detritus.

I was running ChemPure Blue since I was not using a carbon reactor, now that I have one I think having the ChemPure is not needed.

Once the balls have fully cultured it will increase the biological filtration by a pretty substantial amount. I think I am going to try them and see how it goes.

I got the balls today. I was able to get 5 in the media basket. I kept the chem pure blue nano pouches in there with the balls. Now it's just sit and wait and see how it goes. Tempted to get another media basket to do the same thing but man my credit card is on fire.

• 3 weeks later...

wouldn't run chemipure if you are running GFO in the reactor..it's overkill and a waste of $ IMO

I mix carbon and gfo together in mine (clamped tight no tumbling) , turn the pump up so it forces water thru the reactor, works awesome (IM Desktop reactor)

wouldn't run chemipure if you are running GFO in the reactor..it's overkill and a waste of $ IMO

I mix carbon and gfo together in mine (clamped tight no tumbling) , turn the pump up so it forces water thru the reactor, works awesome (IM Desktop reactor)

Do you run the reactor full? I have it half full and have trouble dialing it in to not cause the media to shoot to the top.

put one sponge on the bottom, 2 sponges on top with no space in there.. mix the gfo and carbon together (mixed evenly)

fill it up all the way as far as you can..

turn the pump dial up to 3 and check the flow

gfo needs to tumble so it doesn't clump.. that's irrelevant when it's separated by carbon (that will fracture if tumbled)

Archived