Coral Vue Hydros

Any clue what this might be?

nutin2du

So I work at my LFS in Florida and all our live rock is aqua cultured in the keys. One of our shipments came in with this little green LPS and another red one, both smaller than a dime. I decided to clip them off the rocks and grow them out in my tank at home after they seemed to do well for a few days in our holding tank at the store. Unfortunately I lost the red one because a rock flower anemone decided it wanted to live right next to it. I've done some searching and honestly don't know what this is but it's doing great in my tank and I figured why not ask you guys. So any clue???

post-90738-0-48793600-1469764220_thumb.jpg

This is all I have at the moment but I'll try to get one tomorrow. I didn't think plate corals grew attached to the rock though.

Looks exactly like my plate coral, just smaller.

Too bad you lost the red one, they seem a little more uncommon and seem to fetch around $100+

Nano sapiens

Typical 'Plate Corals' start off on a stalk. When they get big/heavy enough the stalk breaks and they become free-living.

There are also three genera from the family Fungiidae ('Plate Corals') that remain fixed:

Lithophyllon, Prodabacia (both collonial) and Cantrellus (solitary).

Archived