Innovative Marine Aquariums

High phos and low ph

Jdc88

jbj45 tank is 14m old. No algae problems. No coral growth, zoa's keep dying, flowerpot wont extend anymore, acan and brain are bleached. Tried turning the lights down for about a month (did not help) Ive dosed with kalkwasser and reef builder. (did not seem to help) cant get phoshates down or ph up. please help

Perimeters are done with api:

PH 7.6

kh 7

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 10-15

calcium 480

phos 0.8

sg 1.025

no mag test kit- ordered should be here tomorrow

maxpect razor led's about 50%. tank is 14m old.

mp10 water circ

Corals are

flowerpot,

2 hammer corals,

2 acros, monti,

elegance.

few zoas,

lobo and an acan

Fish:

2 clown

goby

banggai cardinal

royal gramma

3 damsels

filteration:

chemi pure blue

purigen

filter floss

gfo reactor

aquamaxx hob skimmer

20% water changes every other sunday

What salt mix are you using? Also, do you make your own RO/DI water or buy jugs of distilled from the store? Try upping your water changes to 20% weekly (maybe even twice a week until you see some improvement).

Phosphate is very high. 0.03ppm would be a good target (or 10ppb of phosphorus). You need a proper phosphate test kit to detect levels this low. I like the Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker, but a Salifert kit would also work. You want it to remain detectable, but low.

When using chemical media to lower phosphate, you want to lower it slowly, as the symbiotic algae uses it to provide energy for the coral. Taking this away too quickly is stressful. Use less media than recommended, and continue to monitor phosphate. When it stops going down, replace the media (don't rely on switching it out at regular intervals).

The API kits should get you in the ballpark with calcium and alkalinity, but I'd spring for Salifert calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium kits. I'd like you to try two part dosing:

Archived