ReefCleaners.org

Clione temprate pico

Microbialhydra

Microbialhydra

I'm currently at the beach and yesterday there were hundreds of thousands of cliones washing to shore. I collected a bunch of them in some water bottles and got some other bottles with just ocean water for water changes so can acclimate them to the water I make. I'm currently keeping them in the fridge because I know the need the cold. I'm thinking of using a electric wine bottle chiller and keeping them in a jar in the chiller.

IMG_20160727_133259734_zpsyoznfehj.jpg

Microbialhydra

Had to google these. What interesting little critters. What will you feed them?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any thecosomata which is there only food source but if you keep them cold enough they can go a year without eating.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any thecosomata which is there only food source but if you keep them cold enough they can go a year without eating.

Interesting! May I ask what coast you found these on? Do they wash up a lot? They seem really small and not that great at swimming/navigating.

Microbialhydra

Interesting! May I ask what coast you found these on? Do they wash up a lot? They seem really small and not that great at swimming/navigating.

I'm in nags head north Carolina on vacation this is the first time I've seen them in person they're normally a open ocean critter for lack of a better word. But I've been coming here on vacation for over 10 years btw.

As a deep sea/wierd marine fanatic, I pooped my pants (not really :P) out of excitement of this, I'm following for sure!

Thank you if most of them survive the ride home and all I might be willing to sell some because I have at least 20 of the little fellas they're adorable as all get out.

Microbialhydra

Just took some more photos of them there so cute really wish I got some of the butterflies if anyone finds a link on where to buy them you would be the best person ever. But any how

IMG_20160727_221553_zps9uldpmjn.jpg

IMG_20160727_221429193_zpsuim7x9qq.jpg

IMG_20160727_221435170_zpsdkwxtozd.jpg

Microbialhydra

I might end up using the 2 gallon vertical temprate aquarium from micro reefs if they can modify the weir so it's safe for the cliones

I might end up using the 2 gallon vertical temprate aquarium from micro reefs if they can modify the weir so it's safe for the cliones

Bet you could get some good videos or images of them then and collect other stuff too :)

Archived