Coral Vue Hydros

Anyone out there that can lift my spirits?

Glitchfish

Elizabeth94

Sand can be wicked nasty. I can't believe I didn't think of that when replying before. I had a cyano issue in my fusion 10 and found that when I siphoned the bed so much gunk and nasty stuff was being pulled out. The tank started to do better when I mixed the sand daily, and siphoned it weekly. However, it became such a chore that I went bare bottom. Even my new build is bare bottom now to minimize nutrients.

Not saying you have to go bare bottom, you certainly don't. But sand is gross sometimes, especially in older tanks. I used to watch NewYorkSteelo years ago. Didn't he have a deep sand bed? Probably why he said you shouldn't touch the sand. Deep sand beds naturally have gasses deep down that can nuke a tank if they are disturbed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water changes and feeding should provide the necessary trace elements.

Do you test for phosphate???

I used to but I found it pointless as my phosphates have never really shown, even with salifert test kits, Also mind if I ask what R.O Unit you would recommend, i.e GPD, I'd like one with a TDS meter :)

Sand can be wicked nasty. I can't believe I didn't think of that when replying before. I had a cyano issue in my fusion 10 and found that when I siphoned the bed so much gunk and nasty stuff was being pulled out. The tank started to do better when I mixed the sand daily, and siphoned it weekly. However, it became such a chore that I went bare bottom. Even my new build is bare bottom now to minimize nutrients.

Not saying you have to go bare bottom, you certainly don't. But sand is gross sometimes, especially in older tanks. I used to watch NewYorkSteelo years ago. Didn't he have a deep sand bed? Probably why he said you shouldn't touch the sand. Deep sand beds naturally have gasses deep down that can nuke a tank if they are disturbed.

Well I did have a deep sand bed, but i've been removing detritus from the top of it and it's now about two inches X) I didn't do it super quick either, been an on going thing X)

Elizabeth94

I used to but I found it pointless as my phosphates have never really shown, even with salifert test kits

Well I did have a deep sand bed, but i've been removing detritus from the top of it and it's now about two inches X) I didn't do it super quick either, been an on going thing X)

Interesting. Some would argue that moving your livestock into bins, and removing ALL of the sand at once would be better for the health of the tank since you aren't disturbing it all the time. While some believe that removing a little at a time will be less harmful for the tank. However, I have never ran a deep sand bed and don't plan too. I am wondering if slowly removing the sand is letting the phosphates/nitrates that are built up come out each time you siphon it just a little, rather than removing all of the nutrients at once.

Again, I am not sure. I did read a few posts about this when googling to see what others have experienced.

mitten_reef

Since you mentioned you like to find natural ways of doing things. One natural way to keep the sand bed cleaner (less vacuuming/siphoning) is to keep a sand-dwelling goby, nassarius snails (great sand stirrers, plus they eat detritus), or even a pistol shrimp. I have all three in my tank - granted my tank has relatively shallow sand bed compared to yours, the critters keep the sand churning, less sand cleaning work for me.

Hmm, wait, Seabass mentioned you have a bit too much bioload already, so adding another fish probably isn't a good idea, my bad. But the other two might still be worth considering once you got the current sand/cyano situation under control?

Well the sand isn't all too thick at the moment, I may add more to bump it up :) Get some fresh sand :)! I'd rather stay away from sand sifting fish, They starve over time and you need to feed them on the sand which can be quite awkward and cruel!

Elizabeth, yeah, whenever possible, I prefer the idea of removing everything from the tank (while not disturbing the substrate), and then removing and replacing (or thoroughly cleaning) the sand bed. I've outlined this process a number of times. This gets everything clean (even under the rocks). I wasn't sure how this suggestion would be received. Siphoning sections (a little each week) seems to be fairly widely accepted.

Well the sand isn't all too thick at the moment, I may add more to bump it up :) Get some fresh sand

Covering it with another layer won't export the organics and nutrients that are causing your problems. I actually prefer sand beds that are an inch or less. This makes the entire sand bed available to critters. This layer typically stays in motion more than the deeper layers (and stays oxygenated). I just think that 1" beds are easier to keep clean.

I used to but I found it pointless as my phosphates have never really shown, even with salifert test kits

The thing is, the symbiotic algae in corals use phosphate for energy. Too little can affect corals' health/growth. Too much can affect their coloration, and cause blooms (like algae and cyano). When using phosphate reducing media, I recommend testing to know when to replace it, as well as when you might want to cut back on its use. Typically, I recommend trying to keep phosphate between 0.01 and 0.03 ppm. When using Salifert, you want a slight blue tinge, but don't want it to get darker than the 0.03 ppm mark.

Also mind if I ask what R.O Unit you would recommend, i.e GPD, I'd like one with a TDS meter

You want a high rejection rate (like 98%). A 75 GPD membrane is typical. You could just use a temperature compensated hand held meter like a HM TDS-3 or HM TDS-4TM. I'm not really sure what's available to you.

I agree, making the sand deeper will make issues worse.

TL;DR the whole thing, Glitch have you been cleaning the sand ? (you should)

I now just need to find a garden tap adaptor that fits X)! Then I can go on the hunt for R.O :)! My aquarium means more to me than anything ._. I had a seriously bad day once and broke down crying as my phosphate reactor just burst open onto my mums carpet, (Sounds lame but it was like the worst day ever, The reactor was fine but it just imploded.

I'd rather not use chemicals, I like to find the source the natural way as there aren't chemicals in the ocean to eliminate it, Unless it's dinoflaggellates then chemicals away X)! Also Cyano is a natural bacterium and I respect that, It's just ugly and invasive! So yeah X)!

I guess I went a tad overboard with fish, I sadly have an addiction for them... I'm somewhat of a fish hoarder X)! Thankfully i've also purchased a new siphon for the sand so I'll be working on that :)! I believe everyone saying I should, I was following a youtuber named NewYorkSteelo, he said to never siphon the sand.

I'll be removing the miracle mud, just hope it won't cause a swing in minor trace elements! But i hate it anyways, seen no benefits

Oh also I sadly have to dose the Reef Energy A-B for my feather dusters, I stopped dosing and they started to shrink, but now they're growing and thriving again :)!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but biopellets is a carbon source and carbon feeds bacteria, this includes cyanobacteria. If cyano gets a grip over other bacteria, carbon will feed it. You mentioned microbacter stressed everything out, I would also assume that is linked to the biopellet reactor, since dosing bacteria effects it.

Also be sure to get a RODI and not just RO.

I would bet you have too much going on in this tank in the way of gadgets. If you check out some of the larger TOTM tanks, I bet you will find they run the basics, a skimmer and maybe a reactor for carbon or PO4 remover (depending on stock).

I agree, making the sand deeper will make issues worse.

TL;DR the whole thing, Glitch have you been cleaning the sand ? (you should)

I haven't been cleaning the sand no, I never thought I had to, I thought it maintained itself! And with Nassarius snails to!

fishfreak0114

The nassarious help stir it a bit, but not enough to keep detritus from building it up. At each water change, I would vacuum a small section. Eventually, when your whole bed is relatively clean you may start vacuuming the whole bed each time lightly like I do. Or you could just keep doing part each time. I think this will help you a lot because that's a big source of stored nutrients jut waiting to feed your cyano problem. Hope you get your tank back to the way you like it :)

Hammerstone

Look at my thread on this page. These people like seabass are experts as far as I am concerned. It outlines what I need to do.

Hammerstones Thread

Good luck to you!!!???

squamptonbc

Considering how insane their shipping is to Canada, even if they ship to the UK, the cost is likely prohibitive and one would just be better off buying something in their own country. The cost when I checked to Canada was 50 something for UPS and 110 for USPS, so I would imagine to the UK the cost would be into outer space and cost more then the unit does...lol

For those who vacuum their sand beds, how do you do without sucking the sand out?

For those who vacuum their sand beds, how do you do without sucking the sand out?

I use a gravel vac plastic thing attached to hose . Try to go slowly and not suck up much . Sometimes if there are big hair algae chunks it will clog or I just use normal hose . (Some sand will be in your bucket ). Rinse it really really really well and put it back

Don't do big areas as stated above . Start with just a small area . Try to suck up as much "smoke " as you can and not have it floating into the tank. There will be super fine, nasty detritus that you find . Look at the tank water , if it's getting cloudy then stop.

Point is you need to get that junk out , not spew it all over the tank

... or I just use a normal hose. (Some sand will be in your bucket ). Rinse it really really really well and put it back.

^ That's what I do. I suction up a decent amount of sand, then rinse it (I used to use saltwater, but have been using RO/DI lately). While I try to avoid unnecessary clouding (if your tank doesn't have a nutrient problem), I always feel that the clouding is like feeding your tank nutrients. Your filter should take care of the rest.

You can easily make my favorite sand vacuum by going to a home improvement store and buying a 10' roll of flexible clear tubing and a one foot rigid tube (with the outer dimension of the rigid tube being the same as the inner dimension of the flexible tubing). Then just insert the tube into the tubing (about an inch).

This way, you don't have to stick your whole arm in the tank, you can access most areas, and (with the suction end being smaller than the rest of the tubing) it rarely clogs. For sand, I find it better and cheaper than any aquarium vac I've tried. You can siphon detritus off the top of the sand or get down to the bottom of the tank; and it works equally well on large or small tanks.

073016a.jpg

A 1' rigid tube (3/8" OD) inserted into a 10' roll of (3/8" ID) clear tubing. When working on my 100 gallon tank, I siphon into a Brute container, using a plastic clamp to secure the end of the tubing.

Hi glitchfish,

I'm from Cambridge uk, this is the rodi unit I bought a couple months ago. It's working great very compact, and does the job. Buy a hand held TDS meter just Incase u don't have one? They're very cheap and u can do spot checks to check yr water coming out reads 0 ppm.

The rodi is only £45-£50 with postage, gd price.

It comes with washing machine cold tap adapter, basically the standard connector that yr washing machine should use for its water. I just screw it in when I need it, once every 2 wks or so.

http://www.vyair.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=273

£55 with free postage....!

^ That's what I do. I suction up a decent amount of sand, then rinse it (I used to use saltwater, but have been using RO/DI lately). While I try to avoid unnecessary clouding (if your tank doesn't have a nutrient problem), I always feel that the clouding is like feeding your tank nutrients. Your filter should take care of the rest.

You can easily make my favorite sand vacuum by going to a home improvement store and buying a 10' roll of flexible clear tubing and a one foot rigid tube (with the outer dimension of the rigid tube being the same as the inner dimension of the flexible tubing). Then just insert the tube into the tubing (about an inch).

This way, you don't have to stick your whole arm in the tank, you can access most areas, and (with the suction end being smaller than the rest of the tubing) it rarely clogs. For sand, I find it better and cheaper than any aquarium vac I've tried. You can siphon detritus off the top of the sand or get down to the bottom of the tank; and it works equally well on large or small tanks.

073016a.jpg

A 1' rigid tube (3/8" OD) inserted into a 10' roll of (3/8" ID) clear tubing. When working on my 100 gallon tank, I siphon into a Brute container, using a plastic clamp to secure the end of the tubing.

I am going to say I already use airline tubing for cleaning the rockwork and the cyano off the sand :)! I prefer it to big and bulky ones which i call "Freshwater Cleaners" I have one for my freshwater tank upstairs though. An interesting story for you all to read X)! After today at the store my mum almost punched one of the employees as he laughed at our misfortune, probably wondering what more can I sell. I hate the guy anyways but my mum used to love talking to him! So i think i have won the war in buying an RO DI unit :)! So that hopefully will be happening in a few weeks :)! Gotta save my pennies! Or maybe not ;)! I do need a C02 system for my freshwater aquarium though... decisions, sorry i'm ranting it's been a long day XD!

Hi glitchfish,

I'm from Cambridge uk, this is the rodi unit I bought a couple months ago. It's working great very compact, and does the job. Buy a hand held TDS meter just Incase u don't have one? They're very cheap and u can do spot checks to check yr water coming out reads 0 ppm.

The rodi is only £45-£50 with postage, gd price.

It comes with washing machine cold tap adapter, basically the standard connector that yr washing machine should use for its water. I just screw it in when I need it, once every 2 wks or so.

http://www.vyair.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=273

£55 with free postage....!

I've vacuumed every sandbed I have had with a gravel vacuum but my sandbeds are 2" and under. Its definitely not something one should do with a dsb.

I use the gravel vacuum on an angle and lightly suck up the sand, if done right it falls back into place without getting removed.

squamptonbc

073016a.jpg

Pretty nifty DIY device you have there, always amazed at some of the DIY stuff some of you can come up with.....

I've never really cleaned sand beds and on the occasion I do get too close to the sand when siphoning it comes up wicked fast and makes a mess. Never seem to have a nitrate or algae issue, so I tend to mostly ignore the sand but its not always the prettiest to look at, but not covered in crap either, just not as white as some have,

I have had a Jaubert Plenumn and 6" DSB for twenty years. Due to lack of maintenance, it has gotten clogged up with GHA and cyno. In addittion to feeding a diversity of bacteria, I vacum the sandbed often and add Florida Cerith and bristle works to help with cleaning up sludge. While I do not intend to break this tank down, I would never recommend more than a 1" sandbed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well It's with an extremely warm smile, That I can say I've beaten the Cyanobacteria <3! All i needed to do was shout at a few employees for not cleaning their RO membranes (I'm still getting my own unit) and remove my phosphate reactor due to it causing an imbalance with my biopellets between the nitrogen and phosphate within the water. Basically stripping too much out.

I apologise for the picture quality but my new lighting schedule is extremely blue, i'm trying out the coral lab ecotech programme and it's seriously assisted coral growth and happiness so I don't think I'll be changing it soon! Also If you're curious as to why my acans don't look pleased, it has something to do with not feeding them, I'll get their schedule back :)

post-91634-0-61752800-1471708812_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-84084500-1471709214_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-20551900-1471709217_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-02054300-1471709219_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-93328700-1471709220_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-80140700-1471709222_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-31513300-1471709224_thumb.jpg

post-91634-0-66001100-1471709226_thumb.jpg

Looks great!! This is why I love having my own RODI. I used to not have one and the store did post dates when it was last changed but they missed changes too!!!

The phosphate remover makes sense too, I removed my PO4 remover yesterday because I added a carbon source. No way I have enough PO4 for both.

Looks great!! This is why I love having my own RODI. I used to not have one and the store did post dates when it was last changed but they missed changes too!!!

The phosphate remover makes sense too, I removed my PO4 remover yesterday because I added a carbon source. No way I have enough PO4 for both.

Ugh well hopefully for now they'll stay very diligent and keep up their maintenence! But I will be getting my own RO/DI, Me and my mum want it to be economic so when we run the taps in our house, it produces RO but can also be switched off when the buckets are full :)! Also I totally agree with the removal of PO4 Remover :)! In some cases it works well to run both but in my case it caused a major imbalance!

Glitchfish..Tank looks great! As do ur corals! :wub:

Awww thankyou so so much <3! I really couldn't have done it without this forum! Hopefully I'll be able to get better pictures which are less blue!

Wow looks great! Amazing in just 3 weeks. Congrates

^-^! Thankyou tank has been setup for a year and one month now :)! Thankgod this Cyano has gone, been battling it for months!

Archived