ReefCleaners.org

How to boost warmer colors?

BradVincent

BradVincent

I have a DIY LED fixture with 4 NW (976-1192-ND 4000K 90 CRI @ 1000ma) over my reef with 16 cool blues. The rest of the light is royal blue and violet that you can't hardly see. I have a miniatus grouper, harlequin tusk and coral beauty that would look better under warmer colors. I have lots of coral, which even though it looks good under bluer light, I'd rather go a little whiter.

Thoughts and ideas:

1) Add another NW on each side, 6 total.

2) Replace the NW with warm white, probably 97 CRI 3000K.

3) Mix the NW with warm whites.

I already have the NW, so ordering WW is a more expensive solution

BradVincent

Yes, and this is a similar post to one I did 6 months or so ago when I wanted to add reds. Limes don't really give me much the CW don't have, and with such a large tank, small LEDs are a PITA.

Nano sapiens

A 50/50% NW/WW would help.

However, I use a ratio of 4 NW/1 WW. Instead of addng more WW (I already have a few 'Red' LEDs from my 'OCW's), I substituted a few ~475-480 Blue for a few RB which helps brighten the tank.

Adding a limited amount of Cyan can also help warm brighten up the look.

Anything blue or green won't "warm" the tank. You need oranges and reds to do that. The best way to do that is to add warm white. Nano sapiens's ratio of 4:1 neutral to warm would work pretty well. Warm white blends with everything else much better than adding just red, and really does a better job due to it emitting more than just a single wavelength or light.

If you want a more in depth look at what different LEDs will do for you, go take a look at my guide at the top of this forum.

Archived