Coral Vue Hydros

What's the best/easiest to read nitrate test kit?

joshvollberg

joshvollberg

Not worried about price, just need a good quality nitrate test kit that's easy to read. For me I can't read Api tests at all. Thanks

squamptonbc

Google the various kits and add color chart and choose one based on which color chart you can read the easiest. I have a hard time reading Salifert for example as the colors are too pink and faint on the low end of the scale.

I use Salifert for a quick and easy check just to see if Nitrates are below 5. But I have the same problem telling one minute shade of red from another.

I use the Red Sea Nitrate Pro kit when I want to know exactly what level Nitrates are at. It takes a little longer, 8 minutes, but for me the only problem is that if your nitrates are above 4, you have to dilute the sample to get a measurement. And of course if you don't know whether they are below 4 to begin with, you have to redo the test.

But other than that, I really like the Red Sea Pro kit. The color wheel works great and I never have any problem matching up the colors.

API is good just to see if it's below 5 or not, and it's accurate as long as you shake the reagent like crazy for the time they specify.

Archived