SaltCritters.com

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

I don't think anything except a shipping or dipping incident would have hit those birds so fast. The fact that they stopped peeling is a good sign IMO.

Yeah, but the big thing is whether or not they'll be like this for a bit and then lose the rest of their flesh or if they recover. Nothing in my tanks, except one gorgonian, has ever recovered from damage.

jedimasterben

Cut hole in ceiling, raise light higher. :D

Glad to see they have stabilized.

:lol:

I can hear that conversation with my wife now.

"Holy ####ing shit Ben, what the hell did you do now???"

"Someone on the internet told me I need to hang the light higher."

*Ben spontaneously dies for reasons made abundantly clear*

:D

• Like 6

:lol:

I can hear that conversation with my wife now.

"Holy ####### shit Ben, what the hell did you do now???"

"Someone on the internet told me I need to hang the light higher."

*Ben spontaneously dies for reasons made abundantly clear*

:D

:lol: Am I the only one who sees the irony in Ben having these super duper technically advanced lights...that can't be dimmed enough?

PS: you may have some hope for those birdsnests if the STN has stabilized and they're showing a little PE. Every one I've ever had has always recovered when they were in that condition.

• Like 7

:lol: Am I the only one who sees the irony in Ben having these super duper technically advanced lights...that can't be dimmed enough?PS: you may have some hope for those birdsnests if the STN has stabilized and they're showing a little PE. Every one I've ever had has always recovered when they were in that condition.

Ben can't dim his lights?
  • Like 3
jedimasterben

Ouch... that's sad

It's actually more incredible than anything. I'm wondering why they're still alive and haven't finished losing all their flesh. I mean, I'm not complaining or anything, but what makes now different than the dozens of other times?

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Food, lights, lower Alk, higher po4?

This is why, even though my tank is doing well, I have no confidence it will continue to do well.

Nope, haven't changed a damn thing. I haven't measured alk and the phosphate kit still hasn't arrived. I would assume phosphate is at least a bit higher since my bottle of lanthanum rolled behind the tank and electrical cabinet and I'm way too lazy to try and fish it out at this point :lol:

• Like 3

Ummm, sorry to see this. I have a few of these Seriatopora and I found they can loose tissue very quickly when aquarium conditions are different from what they are used to and that the different species/morphs can react very differently. Out of three species I introduced (S. hystrix, S. caliendrum and S. aculeata?), I had the most difficulty with S. caliendrum and lost around 1/3 of the frag's tissue within 24 hrs of introduction (took around 6-7 months before it adapted properly and started to take off). These were LFS frags that were in good shape and had minimal shipping stress.

Some good reading on these:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/birdsnest-corals-do-not-adapt-well-to-different-conditions

http://bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2148-11-303

http://biodiversity-group.huji.ac.il/publication_files/Nir%20et%20al%202011%20Coral%20Reefs.pdf

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Well, the two okay birds are STNing faster. Alk hasn't moved and nothing has changed in the tank. The two stylos are also showing tissue loss between polyps on the side facing the glass, not sure of this is due to light not hitting that side or if they're just gonna up and die, too.

I am figuring that the allelopathy from the sarcophytons is just too much for my filtration as it is. I do not know for sure, but dosing more calcium carbonate might flocc up more of the allelopathic chemicals, so I am going to try dosing it daily to see if there is any change, not that these corals particularly stand much of a chance.

Besides the stony Coral issues, the tank is doing pretty swell, other than a couple more corals breaking loose, my glue bonds seem to be breaking over time and it sucks.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this.

My bonds all seemed to fail at the same time as well, and these were all 2 part + super glue. I wonder if PhosphateRx is doing it? :D

Speaking of which, can you let PO4 rise a little to see if anything changes?

Can you start putting in a small pinch of Reef Roids in the morning or opposite whatever time you usually feed? Just a small pinch.

jedimasterben

Sorry to hear this.

My bonds all seemed to fail at the same time as well, and these were all 2 part + super glue. I wonder if PhosphateRx is doing it? :D

Speaking of which, can you let PO4 rise a little to see if anything changes?

Can you start putting in a small pinch of Reef Roids in the morning or opposite whatever time you usually feed? Just a small pinch.

Maybe it is! A lot of mine are just super glue, as the corals aren't large or heavy enough to warrant more. The gorgonians, however, I always use epoxy as well, as they're top heavy and will break any just glue bonds. What super glue do you use? I get these https://www.amazon.com/Super-Glue-15185-12-Pack-07oz/dp/B004YEN37K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1481895428&sr=8-4&keywords=super+glue+gel

Though the price on that has gone up by a couple of bucks and it's not as good of a deal now, but I like having a bunch of small tubes so that if one dries up completely, I just toss it and move on to the next :)

I don't use or have any Reef Roids.

I still haven't fished out my bottle of PhosphateRX from behind the cabinet, so I'm sure phosphate is elevated more than normal.

jedimasterben

Got a couple of firefish, a red scooter dragonet of some sort (not sure which species), and three mushroom frags today. Was going to get two blue gudgeons to go with the two firefish, but after the guy bagged them up, he forgot to charge me for them and put the in the bag with everything else, so they stayed there :(

• Like 1
jedimasterben

:o

I think I have four different sizes of golden pearls, Coral Frenzy, ReefCleaners Filter Feeder Food, and a couple others I can't think of now.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Also, I forgot to mention that I tossed all the birds except for one yesterday, and that one I only kept to jam into a rock to hold up a droopy leather. I mounted the two stylos, not sure if they'll recover but whatever, and also remounted all of the stuff that had come unglued recently. Stirred up the sand a bit so it looks at least a bit cleaner than it did, it gets some algae growth since it doesn't really move at all. Might get a FTS today if I feel like it, I feel like someone is stabbing me down the throat with a pitchfork.

• Like 3