Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clownfish in QT breathing rapidly - No other symptoms

SagittariusAStar

SagittariusAStar

Hi guys, I have an ocellaris clown in QT who is breathing quite rapidly but not displaying any other symptoms. He mostly hides in a PVC tube I put in there for cover but will come out and swim around occasionally. He is eating as well.

I got him from a trustworthy LFS. He was in a fish only tank and everything in there looked healthy. He was supposedly tank bred.

I have him in a 10g QT tank which was pre-seeded and I am reading 0 ammonia (per test and badge), 0 nitrite and <5 PPM nitrates. The water is well aerated by a filter.

Should I wait and see if he develops any other symptoms or should I begin medicating with something? If so, what? Its a little frustrating researching fish diseases as they all seem to have different mutually exclusive cures... seems like its pretty easy to start treating the wrong thing :/

As long as the water is well aerated I'd say that the clown is fine and just stressed. I recently added a snowflake clown to my tank and she was very stressed and was breathing very heavily. Now she's settled in and all fine. I'd say give it a day or two but if the problem persists I'd try to do something. I'm sure he'll be fine :)

SagittariusAStar

Thats good to hear, but I forgot to mention that he has been in QT for a week as of today. Does that change things?

Thats good to hear, but I forgot to mention that he has been in QT for a week as of today. Does that change things?

I need some more info on your tank. What type of filter are you running? Whats your ph? Temp? Any parasites visible on gills? Any prior issues with ich? Maybe some photos or videos would help

SagittariusAStar

I need some more info on your tank. What type of filter are you running? Whats your ph? Temp? Any parasites visible on gills? Any prior issues with ich? Maybe some photos or videos would help

- I am running a spare Aqueon 10g HOB filter with floss/sponge seeded from my DT. Also a spare 200 gph power head.

- pH ~ 8.2

- Temp 79 +/-1 F

- No visible parasites. I had a clown with Brook in the past (different tank entirely) and I don't see any of those signs either (no mucus...etc..)

- No ich unless he came in with it. I haven't seen any ich spots yet.

- unfortunately I'm not sure if he has been breathing hard the whole week. It seems more pronounced today though.

- Don't know if this will help at all but here is a crappy cellphone video haha: https://vid.me/OX7l

Ok it sounds like everything checks out to me. Huh. Kinda stumped on this one. I might try decreasing the temp to around 76. Also has there been any changes to anything that could cause stress? Like anything, lighting, params, etc? I honestly can't think of a reason besides stress

SagittariusAStar

For lighting I have a plastic lid with cheap LEDs on the QT but I have left them off and just had ambient lighting (basically as light as in the video). Should I be lighting the tank?

For lighting I have a plastic lid with cheap LEDs on the QT but I have left them off and just had ambient lighting (basically as light as in the video). Should I be lighting the tank?

Ambient lighting should be fine but you may want to use the LEDs and inspect you fish closely to check again for parasites. In the video your clown appeared to be healthy but its hard to tell from the video

olemanwinter

Adjust your powerhead to agitate the surface more. It can't hurt.

Also, if there is nothing wrong with your water, and no visible external parasites......it may be internal parasites.

Start him on prazipro if he's still eating and not getting better.

SagittariusAStar

Thanks for the advice guys.

From what you are saying, tsinc, I think I will do a small WC and just observe him for now. I'll try to track down some prazipro as I should probably have some on hand anyways.

mystersyster

Your fish may have marine ich. If he does it may be too late. Marine ich will attach the the gills often times out of sight. Hard to say, but hard breathing can and will be a symtom if it gets bad enough.

SagittariusAStar

This is one of the toughest part of the hobby... what do you guys do when you QT new fish to ensure they survive? Prophylactic treatment?

Clownfish is still the same, btw. Maybe breathing a little easier if anything.

Maybe just try dosing some copper in case there is ich under the gills. I'd try the other thing too. Just keep a close eye and make sure there are no sudden changes to cause stress. Like before the wc make sure is the same temp and salinity. I hope your clown comes out ok just lost one today and it's not fun. Ruined my day :(

This is one of the toughest part of the hobby... what do you guys do when you QT new fish to ensure they survive? Prophylactic treatment?

Clownfish is still the same, btw. Maybe breathing a little easier if anything.

I QT fish and treat every fish with prazi as it is very safe and many internal parasites can go unnoticed. If I notice off behavior or disease I can't pinpoint, I treat with chloroquine phosphate as it treats several diseases and is the next safest drug.

SagittariusAStar

tsinc - I'm sorry to hear about your clown :( Hope your other one makes it.

Tamberav - I'll have to look into the second drug you mentioned. Never heard of it before.

Archived