Pod Your Reef

Help replacing fans on Nano Box Duo

NewbReefer316

It's not that bad.

There should be 8 screws on the outside of the unit holding the splash plates. Unscrew them with the correct size hex bit.

Remove the heatsink and LED's from the unit

Remove the 4 screws holding the fan to the heatsink as the unit wont come out otherwise.

Replace and resolder the fan. Repeat backwards

It's not that bad.

There should be 8 screws on the outside of the unit holding the splash plates. Unscrew them with the correct size hex bit.

Remove the heatsink and LED's from the unit

Remove the 4 screws holding the fan to the heatsink as the unit wont come out otherwise.

Replace and resolder the fan. Repeat backwards

Exactly like he said.

The number one thing to be careful is sliding the heatsink chassis out and NOT scraping the LEDs off.

-Dave

Thanks for the replies.

How do you get the end caps off, just pry them off with something?

Yes sir, from what I remember the end caps are held on with either silicon or hot glue and can simply be pried off

Thanks for the replies.

How do you get the end caps off, just pry them off with something?

They are on there will a small batch of silicon. The easiest way with taking on the splash guard and using a small screw driver to put in between the heatsink and body and lightly pop off.

-Dave

NewbReefer316

Exactly like he said.

The number one thing to be careful is sliding the heatsink chassis out and NOT scraping the LEDs off.

-Dave

I've got all the screws pulled out that I can and am having trouble getting the fan off the heatsink in order to pull it out. Should I be cutting the red and black wires now in order to slide the fan out?

Here's where I'm at.

5LgBU0T.jpg

zXbR8ot.jpg

tAuCgH2.jpg

NewbReefer316

Got the fan replaced, just need to pick up some thermal paste to under the boards and figure out where the extra (9th) white spacer goes. And then I'll finally be able to test it out and see if I broke it even worse :rolleyes:

Archived