Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dosing bacteria-should you/do you

Clown79

I was reading a topic today online regarding dosing bacteria and I thought it was an interesting question.

1. Should you dose bacteria - new or established tanks

2. Do you dose bacteria and why if so?

squamptonbc

I do if starting a new tank dry with nothing, but once up and running and established I never do. I use Sea Chems product normally as its the most easily obtained, and it seems to work okay, but I am no scientist so could not tell you if it really does, but the last time I used it was on a fresh tank, and it was cycled in about 3-4 weeks, so seemed to at least speed it up a bit.

I never use it on a cycled established tank, I see no reason to.

ReefSafeSolutions

I just used it on my dry tank and like stated above, the only reason I did so was to jump start things. A healthy population of bacteria in the bottle will populate much faster than starting from almost nothing!

With an established system, the bacteria population is already there, so the bottled bacteria won't really help much. I guess it could be advantageous if you are adding a few fish at a time and want to boost the bacteria population to handle the increased bioload..? But even then, I'm not sure it would do much.

Yes, yes, yes. Live rock to start with, microbacter 7 or stability because I can, and more bacteria every week or month or few days so that I can make sure nothing else (cough, vibrio, cough) is outcompeting my beneficial bacteria.

natalia_la_loca

I dose Zeobak once a week after water changes, because I have it lying around. I have no idea whether it does anything good, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I equate dosing bacteria to an established tank to opening an oxygen tank for a second in a bedroom. Sure, there is now more oxygen, but you are not reaping any benefits from it. Some may argue about diversity, but your tank grows what it needs and kills off what it doesn't. Besides, the tiniest rock rubble introduced with a frag is constantly bringing in "other " bacteria.

When I was reading on the subject, a very good point was introduced.

There is no beneficial bacteria in our made up salt water and bacteria do die, therefore dosing can be beneficial.

I have also read that it helps with reduction in certain algaes, like cyano which can be caused by bacterial imbalance.

When I was reading on the subject, a very good point was introduced.

There is no beneficial bacteria in our made up salt water and bacteria do die, therefore dosing can be beneficial.

I have also read that it helps with reduction in certain algaes, like cyano which can be caused by bacterial imbalance.

I agree with the logic. Some bacteria grow and multiply at exponentially differrent rates. The fast growing bacteria outcompete the slow growers.

https://www.tlc-products.com/pdf/HOW%20TLC%20BACTERIA%20WORK.pdf

This link addresses the science behind dosing bacteria. I bought their product to help remove heavy cynobacteria on and in substrate. I also believe in the probiotics for its use all the time. With respect to nitrifying bacteria, they will thrive and grow in oxygen rich areas. It is not required to dose nitrifying bacteria into a mature system.. Because there is more chemistry then nitrification going on, differrent bacteria are required. Faculative bacteria perform denitrification chemistry. The third main differrent bacteria are those that produce enzymes to break down complex foods to be absorbed through the bacteria wall membrane.

Or do what PaulB does. Go down to a tide pool on Long Island Sound near New York. Paul collects amphipods and bacteria mud to inoculate his 45 year old reef tank. Reference post#46.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24653399#post24653399

Archived