SaltCritters.com

How soon would one notice phosphates leeching from dry rock?

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

As the question states, how soon would one notice phosphates from dry rock during a cycle?

I've had my dry rock in water cycling for about a week now. My ammonia has effectively been brought down to 0-.25ppm, and my nitrites have spiked. Yesterday I tested phosphates, just to see what's going on. I'm getting nothing on the phosphate test.

Would I notice phosphates from dry lock within the first week? I hear about people who soak their dry rock and the water turns yellow within a day and need to change the water, so I'm hoping my rock isn't going to cause phosphate problems.

Thanks!

Cencalfishguy56

As the question states, how soon would one notice phosphates from dry rock during a cycle?

I've had my dry rock in water cycling for about a week now. My ammonia has effectively been brought down to 0-.25ppm, and my nitrites have spiked. Yesterday I tested phosphates, just to see what's going on. I'm getting nothing on the phosphate test.

Would I notice phosphates from dry lock within the first week? I hear about people who soak their dry rock and the water turns yellow within a day and need to change the water, so I'm hoping my rock isn't going to cause phosphate problems.

Thanks!

where is your dry rock from? If it has been cleaned of organics then you shouldn't have phosphates leaking, I used reef cleaners and it's probably the cleanest dry rock you can get that won't leech phosphates

Thanks!

I have used Reef Cleaners in my last 2 builds with no phosphate issues. For my new build I decided to try Pukani rock from BRS. Did a muriatic acid bath and then rinsed it and tossed it into a Brute can with some pumps and a heater. 2 days later my phosphates were off the charts. Using my Hannah ultra low checker it flashed 200 which means it was higher than it can register. Been dosing lanthanum chloride every 2 days. Started this on Memorial Day and have done one water change so far (right at 30 days and that water was bright yellow.) As of Monday it was at 38ppb which is .11. Going to do another water change next week I think and then wait 2 days and see where it is at. Not in a rush since the tank won't be here for another 1.5-2.5 weeks.

ReefSafeSolutions

where is your dry rock from? If it has been cleaned of organics then you shouldn't have phosphates leaking, I used reef cleaners and it's probably the cleanest dry rock you can get that won't leech phosphates

That's the problem...I bought it from the LFS, but then I read about phosphate issues with some dry rock, so I called the store and asked where it comes from. They said some local guy makes it and just drops it off every couple of weeks! It sounds like a dinner plate when it flick it, I wonder if it is some kind of ceramic material.

Anyways, blkhwkz's comments more or less gave me the answer I was looking for...if you saw phosphates off the charts after two days, I'd think my rock is OK, since I'm not seeing any phosphates when I test the water.

I'll definitely be looking into ReefCleaner rock for future tanks!

Cencalfishguy56

That's the problem...I bought it from the LFS, but then I read about phosphate issues with some dry rock, so I called the store and asked where it comes from. They said some local guy makes it and just drops it off every couple of weeks! It sounds like a dinner plate when it flick it, I wonder if it is some kind of ceramic material.

Anyways, blkhwkz's comments more or less gave me the answer I was looking for...if you saw phosphates off the charts after two days, I'd think my rock is OK, since I'm not seeing any phosphates when I test the water.

I'll definitely be looking into ReefCleaner rock for future tanks!

id stay away from LFS, I love mine and the people there but their dry rock is shit, I had phosphates off the charts last tank I had, even with religious maintenance, did reef cleaners this time around and not one ounce of nuisance algae except in my sump refugium and occasional on the glass at two week mark

Archived