ReefCleaners.org

Dual InTank Fusion20 Upgrade

hightower

I have 2x InTank Fusion20 basket upgrades arriving tomorrow, but im not 100% sure what to do with each one.

At the moment, the tank is only 1 week old and im running the standard filter media that comes with the tank and baskets in the end chambers. A IM Ghost Skimmer in the second chamber on one side and a small bag of live rock with cauierpa on top in the second chamber on the other side.

I have some Seachem seagel ready to go but other than that, im not sure what to put in!

Any help, tips, guides etc appreciated.

I'm using filter floss at the top of each, matrix carbon and phosguard in a media bag in one (I mix them myself, because there's no way I'm putting the recommended amount of phosguard in my tank - that stuff strips phosphate out so fast it hurts the corals), and a block of marine pure in the other.

I'm using filter floss at the top of each, matrix carbon and phosguard in a media bag in one (I mix them myself, because there's no way I'm putting the recommended amount of phosguard in my tank - that stuff strips phosphate out so fast it hurts the corals), and a block of marine pure in the other.

Hi Mariaface,

Thanks! Im going to grab some media tomorrow. My tank is still in the cycling process, should i wait to put it in or just get it going?

Thanks!

If you're still cycling, and there's nothing alive in the rocks that you want to keep that way, I'd hold off on the chemical filtration for now. If you're cycling with anything alive in the tank that you want to keep alive (feather dusters, hitchhiking corals, bristle cage worms that are shiny and adorable, etc), consider adding something like Seachem Prime to detoxify ammonia while the bacteria in your tank work on it.

If you add seagel, you'll be competing with the bacteria for nutrients - assuming there's nothing alive, you want to cycle the tank hard (high ammonia levels that quickly get processed down to 0ppm by bacteria). But you can do a 'soft cycle' if you're keeping things alive, and just keep low ammonium levels.

Hi Mariaface,

Thanks! Im going to grab some media tomorrow. My tank is still in the cycling process, should i wait to put it in or just get it going?

Thanks!

wait till the cycles over

Ok thanks guys.

I simply moved my live rock rubble and caulerpa from one of the stock rear chamber stacks into the new intank one. so far thats all I have done.

I have been adding seachem Stability for around 5 days now, along with adding a little bit of mysis to try and get the tank to cycle hard as I have realreef rock and nothing more so nothing really to keep alive.

Gonna do some tests tomorrow.

Ill post up but any ideas what I should be seeing?

Well, if you keep adding food you'll see phosphates, probably? Hopefully the caulerpa has enough light to take up those nutrients.

You should be seeing ammonia going down to 0ppm within 24 hours (may need to dose ammonium chloride, like Dr Tims), and nitrates rising. Keep in mind that you may need to keep adding a source or ammonia to feed that initial stage of bacteria.

Archived