SaltCritters.com

Flasher Wrasse aggression

karencoursey1234

karencoursey1234

I have a flasher wrasse, who, up until last month, has never flashed and he was plain orange-ish all over. Now, he has developed blue fins and his stomach area is more whitish, and is flashing!! He has also become very aggressive toward my coral beauty angelfish. Any ideas?

post-91889-0-43994000-1469129005_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC

I have a flasher wrasse, who, up until last month, has never flashed and he was plain orange-ish all over. Now, he has developed blue fins and his stomach area is more whitish, and is flashing!! He has also become very aggressive toward my coral beauty angelfish. Any ideas?

attachicon.gifflash and cora.JPG

Do you know what kind of flasher or do you have a picture?

If it was a solid color all over you probably got an initial phase male or a female which has transitioned to a terminal phase male. At that point they are usually focused on keeping all other males and females in line,which requires that they assert their dominance.

If your flasher developed blue fins it might be seeing the coral beauty as competition due to the similar orange body/purple fins. As long as it's not beating anything up I wouldn't worry too much about it and see how it goes. Most flashers are not all that aggressive (although some species can be) and it should probably fall in line with the harmony of the tank.

Archived