Cultivated Reef

favia sweepers

LazyFish

I'm getting mixed info in how long favia sweepers can be. Anywhere between two and six inches? Is this due to diffrent types or species of favia or are some of these corals just not extending there sweepers to the fullest due to aquarium conditions? Some even claim that they have never seen sweepers in there favia. Mine appears to have small sweepers so far with the feeders or is it holding back.

Elizabeth94

I only have one favia and so far I haven't witnessed any sweepers, just short feeders. I have corals on either side of it. I suppose it just doesn't feel like it needs to fight for space?

I have a small mayan sun favia frag that's barely more than an inch across total (polyps being probably 3/8" max). The sweepers it is putting out some nights are very long at least 2".

CronicReefer

Platygyra brain coral tends to have the long sweepers and people are probably thinking it is a favia as they can look similar. Not that favias can't have longer sweepers they are usually much shorter compared to the platygyra sweepers

JavaJacketOC

I have a Mayan Sun and a Peace Favia...Mayan Sun is about 1.5" on average but I have seen a few that get up to 2.5". The peace favia is about the same...normally around 2" but have seen some around 3". They usually come out when I clean the glass or put something in the tank that dirties up the water column.

Platygyra brain coral tends to have the long sweepers and people are probably thinking it is a favia as they can look similar. Not that favias can't have longer sweepers thet are usually much shorter compared to the platygyra sweepers

Here's a macro of a frag from the same colony as mine

dd6ac99280b6020f424eeda992d44a94.jpg

Whatever genus it is, the sweepers are long!

CronicReefer

Here's a macro of a frag from the same colony as mine

dd6ac99280b6020f424eeda992d44a94.jpg

Whatever genus it is, the sweepers are long!

Very nice looking colors on that coral. I believe it is a favite though not a favia, definitely not any of the other types of brain coral.

IMG_4571.jpg

Here is my Fascination Favia. The sweepers are usually an inch or so and it is growing very well. I have other favias with no sweepers and 1 with sweepers which streetch 3-4".

Here is my new one. Thinking favia could be favite. It's rather plain but really glows under leds. Turquoise over all but more blueish on the ridges & more greenish towards the center with a darker eye area. New growth on the edges seems to be purplish brown in color. I am not sure what variety it is but I love its color.

So far the sweepers seem to be staying at about 1.5 inches *crosses fingers they don't get longer* Any tips on training this thing to eat during the day rather than midnight?

Clipboard01_zpshqims8bx.jpg

Archived