Top Shelf Aquatics

Black hair on Halimeda?

ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

I got a few pieces of Halimeda to decorate my tank with. I'm prepared to keep an eye on it for it turning white and all that, and honestly my biggest problem with it so far is that my turbos keep knocking it over! However, I noticed two of the pieces have this funny black hair stuff growing on it. I've attached a photo.

Is it green hair algae? It doesn't seem to be spreading and none of my snails (turbo and nassarius) or hermits seem interested in it. Any thoughts?

(also the pinkish color is from the grow light for my violets to the right of the tank. Just so you know).

post-91596-0-42417900-1468880273_thumb.jpg

ArtsyAxolotl

No one? It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, it just isn't super attractive and I'd like to be sure I know what it is.

Elizabeth94

No one? It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, it just isn't super attractive and I'd like to be sure I know what it is.

Hm, doesn't look like the green hair algae I know. Maybe some sort of fungus? Not too sure.

ArtsyAxolotl

Maybe? I'm headed out to a lfs to get a couple more snails, so I'll show the owner the pictures and see what he thinks.. I'll update if he has any ideas or recommends something to eat it.

ArtsyAxolotl

Well the owner hadn't seen anything like that before so... yea. I got nothin'. I got an Emerald crab from him to see if that'd eat whatever this junk is. So far it hasn't shown much interest in the halimeda or the hair stuff, although that could be because it found a piece of an algae tablet, which is clearly far more interesting haha.

• 2 weeks later...
ArtsyAxolotl

Update: It's been around a week and the emerald crab has shown exactly 0 interest in the fuzz on the halimeda. He did, however, take great joy in tearing my other halimeda to shreds. So. yea.

However! This morning I woke up and found both halimeda clusters white with little green tufts on them! Pulled them immediately, so luckily they weren't able to go sexual in my tank. but they certainly tried. I dunno if that black fuzz stuff was some part of the going-sexual process? I have no idea what it was but it never spread off the macro algae and now it's gone because I pulled the macros.

I think I might try some other macro algaes before going back to halimeda.

Archived