ReefCleaners.org

Aquaclear 20 (with media basket) for 7.9 gal reef

Jackofhearts

Jackofhearts

I would like use my Fluval

Flora (which is 7.9 gallons) and make it a nano reef. I'm looking at buying an intank media basket to go with an Aqua clear filter. I know that people are saying go as big as you can as far as hang on the back filters go, but I was wondering if the Aquaclear 20 would be okay? For circulation pump, a Hydor Pico.

Stock would be one firefish and snails. Corals would be Zoas.

Oceanbox Designs

I would like use my Fluval

Flora (which is 7.9 gallons) and make it a nano reef. I'm looking at buying an intank media basket to go with an Aqua clear filter. I know that people are saying go as big as you can as far as hang on the back filters go, but I was wondering if the Aquaclear 20 would be okay? For circulation pump, a Hydor Pico.

Stock would be one firefish and snails. Corals would be Zoas.

Go with an AC50 it's only $37.99 with free shipping code: JULYSHIP: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3610. It allows more space for media filter and you can run at the lowest flow setting but it will provide more surface area movement = better flow, better filtration. While you're at it, grab yourself some blue filter pad, carbon, phosguard and don't forget filter media bags to use with inTank media basket. That's all I use on my 12L nano reef.

Jackofhearts

Go with an AC50 it's only $37.99 with free shipping code: JULYSHIP: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3610. It allows more space for media filter and you can run at the lowest flow setting but it will provide more surface area movement = better flow, better filtration. While you're at it, grab yourself some blue filter pad, carbon, phosguard and don't forget filter media bags to use with inTank media basket. That's all I use on my 12L nano reef.

I do have an AC 50 kicking around. It would take up more than half of the room at the back of the tank. I'd have to find a spot where I'd mount my light then.

The AC20 should work just fine. I've had one on my previous 9gal and now my 8.6 gal with no issues. You'll need to clean it out every few months as the pump will sometimes get stuck.

Jackofhearts

The AC20 should work just fine. I've had one on my previous 9gal and now my 8.6 gal with no issues. You'll need to clean it out every few months as the pump will sometimes get stuck.

What did you use as a circulation pump for those tanks? Just wondering if the Hydor Pico 180 would be enough with the 20 aquaclear for my tank?

What did you use as a circulation pump for those tanks? Just wondering if the Hydor Pico 180 would be enough with the 20 aquaclear for my tank?

That doesnt seem like enough circulation.

I previously used a Hydor Koralia 240 along with a Tunze 502.04 on a cheap wavemaker. This was okay, but still didn't feel like it was enough.

I'm now using a Vortech MP10.

I'm currently running an AC20 with an inTank media basket stuffed with filter floss and chemipure blue and a Koralia 240 on my 6g. I think it's enough flow for my softies and lps so long as you clean everything every few months.

Now that's it's summer, I've noticed that the pump motor runs very hot and does sometimes fail to turn back on after I've unplugged it during feeding time. Usually, after an hour or two it gets going again.

Archived