Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How important is the center brace in a fish tank?

Carlagracie

Carlagracie

My 46g bow has a big black plastic brace in the center of the tank. I was thinking of cutting that out. is it very important to have that in there?

Elizabeth94

Yes! It is there for structural support. Eep since your tank is a bow front, it is literally "bracing" the glass so that it doesn't blow out under pressure.

I have seen people take top braces off to make their tanks rimless, but I wouldn't do that myself. It is there for a reason.

Why do you want that off? Are you going bare bottom?

Carlagracie

No I just wanted that top center brace out. Its about 3 inches wide and with it being in the middle that 3 inches of my light is no good.

Elizabeth94

I would certainly leave it alone.. The pressure from the water would most likely blow the glass out. I wouldn't think the shadowing would be much of an issue, if any. Unless your lights are mounted super close to the water line.

No I just wanted that top center brace out. Its about 3 inches wide and with it being in the middle that 3 inches of my light is no good.

I had a 46 bow......loved it. That center brace popped one night...completely separated from the front rim. The glass bowed out a good 1/4". I cut a piece of clear acrylic in the same basic shape and replaced the plastic original. Used nylon bolts and nuts to secure it to the rims inner lip. Worked great.....but ultimately got rid of it for peace of mind.

I would in noway run that bowfront without a center brace.

That centre brace is very important.

Removing it is risky, it risk the structural integrity of the tank. In a bowfront- that risk is greater.

Archived