ReefCleaners.org

20L lighting

BayStYat

I currently have a Orbit Marine Pro on my 20 gal long reef now. I am doing another 20L and want to see if there is a better option for lighting.

any suggestions?

thanks every one

Believe it or nothing i'm currently in the process of converting my FW 20L to saltwater so I guess I'll tag along for info

The Current Orbit Marine is great for LPS and some SPS if you put them towards the top of the tank. I actually have it on my 20L. If I were to step up to a stronger light in order to do more SPS then I would go with the NanoBox Duo.

What don't you like about the orbit marine pro?

I am new to to reef tanks and I am just wanting to see if i am on the right track with equipment.

I have a 15g 24x12x12- i've used a par38 with great results and just upgraded to 1 Ai Prime.

Fyi: 1 prime will cover 24" long with no shadowing.

I also have an Aquamaxx Nemolight on my 10g.

I like the Aquamaxx and Ai Prime. The Par38 bulbs are great but mine was a cheapy and not full spectrum. I'd recommend Coral Compulsion par38 because they are full spectrum and dimmable.

Nanobox is another highly recommended light.

I have a 15g 24x12x12- i've used a par38 with great results and just upgraded to 1 Ai Prime.

Fyi: 1 prime will cover 24" long with no shadowing.

I also have an Aquamaxx Nemolight on my 10g.

I like the Aquamaxx and Ai Prime. The Par38 bulbs are great but mine was a cheapy and not full spectrum. I'd recommend Coral Compulsion par38 because they are full spectrum and dimmable.

Nanobox is another highly recommended light.

so you just used a par 38 bulb? seems like a very inexpensive set up.

Yes. I got a "no name" par38 10,000k 50/50 and I had decent growth from everything but mushrooms.

The reason for my upgrade was because the par bulb wasn't full spectrum and the optics were only 60 degrees which left me with dark areas- my tank is standard 15g so 60 degrees doesn't spread far. If the tank had been square- no issue.

I actually planned on getting the 35watt par38 full spec from coral compulsion but being in cda- the additional costs wasn't worth it.

Yes. I got a "no name" par38 10,000k 50/50 and I had decent growth from everything but mushrooms.

The reason for my upgrade was because the par bulb wasn't full spectrum and the optics were only 60 degrees which left me with dark areas- my tank is standard 15g so 60 degrees doesn't spread far. If the tank had been square- no issue.

I actually planned on getting the 35watt par38 full spec from coral compulsion but being in cda- the additional costs wasn't worth it.

thank you sir

any info on this Chinese light?

ViparSpectra Timer Control 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Reef Coral Tank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181275113350?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just looked into the Mars Aqua, look nice and VERY good price. I also have a 20L and I'm looking to replace my current lighting. Do you think one of the 165's will be more then enough?

I just looked into the Mars Aqua, look nice and VERY good price. I also have a 20L and I'm looking to replace my current lighting. Do you think one of the 165's will be more then enough?

The only thing Ii would be concerned about would be the spread. Off the top of my head i can't recall if those panels will cover a 20L. Also depends on your rock set up/coral placement. The only thing I don't like about those panels is the poor control over the lighting. That's definitely one of the benefits of the Current.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're just starting with reefs then you're probably not going to be getting into acros and other high light corals so the Current will be fine. It does great for LPS corals in a 20 long and it's really cheap.

Cencalfishguy56

If you're just starting with reefs then you're probably not going to be getting into acros and other high light corals so the Current will be fine. It does great for LPS corals in a 20 long and it's really cheap.

also can handle some sps if this new reefer gets it down quick

also can handle some sps if this new reefer gets it down quick

Yes, the Current can handle some SPS such as digis, birdsnest, and montis but if you go for acros then they will definitely need to be near the very top of the tank.

• 2 months later...

I have the Aquamaxx Nemo light on my IM 10g. I have Lps and sps in the tank. They have other versions of this light for longer tanks. The light is programmable.

If you want acros, they need really high light and really good water quality and stability.

You could do birdsnest, stylophora, or pocillopora under the current, par38, or Aquamaxx. Just place them in the higher levels of the tank.

I decided to go with the 36 inch Hamilton Aruba Sun dual T5 retrofit fixture and plan to make this 20L into species specific system with pulsating xenia.

Archived